Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2029, Season 23

Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2029, Season 23

#61 Post by Borealis »

One thing to keep in mind Mike, is at some point we shifted scout mechanisms, to relative I think it is(?); I've never grasped it. So many players will look worse than they are - that's my take... others can explain it better than I...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#62 Post by Hitmen »

Borealis wrote:One thing to keep in mind Mike, is at some point we shifted scout mechanisms, to relative I think it is(?); I've never grasped it. So many players will look worse than they are - that's my take... others can explain it better than I...
I've had two different scouts in my short tenure, and changing from one to another has not changed much :) Good to note that the scouting mechanics changed though. I will keep that in mind.

Once again though, not harping on it. I enjoy the challenge. Just some observations from my early days back still. I assume the keeping some teams alive (WIL) has had an effect on keeping some additional talent stored away as well. ;-D
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#63 Post by Wind Dancers »

Yep, as Miek said, we switch to relative ratings.

This means when you look at a player his ratings are compared to every other player at his level. So in theory, a batter who is 5/5/5/5/5 is "league average" because those ratings are being compared to all current PEBA talent as well as FA's.

When you click a player, in the upper right, you can select which league to compare him to. This means you can compare his ratings to AAA, AA, WIL, etc.

It helps when comparing players that are close in talent. Previously, there could be a hundred player with 7 contact and they would all look the same. With this new system, there would be less 7's as they would be spread out a bit better to 8's and 6's because they are compared to each other. It gives us a little more clarity when looking at players.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#64 Post by Borealis »

I'm still struggling with this...

So if I have a pitcher who, relative to PEBA, is a 5 stuff, then he is League average. If his stuff is a 6, he's, say, 10% better than League average, give or take? and if I take that same player and switch him to 'Relative to AAA', and his stuff is a 7, then he's 20% better than AAA average?
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#65 Post by Wind Dancers »

Yes, that's the idea. Just remember it takes into account free agents too. So that 5 is average for PEBA level players NOT just players actively on a PEBA team.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#66 Post by Borealis »

So considering that the bulk of FA suck, the reality is League average may truly be more like a 6...
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#67 Post by Borealis »

For a week that went 5-1, and two weeks which has already (almost) brought home more wins against the Rising Sun than last year, one overwhelming Not So Neat hangs over the week's glowing Neatness:

- 'Tugboat' got 5 pitches into his 3rd start of the year before he was removed from the game with a sore shoulder, which the medicos say will have him shelved for 7 weeks. That takes us into the first full week of June and likely 9 starts at least. Aside from what those 9 starts may mean for the Borealis - projected starts v. NT, SS, FAR (2), and CL, 'Tugboat, who has averaged 31 starts a year for Aurora, has a vesting option for 2030 that requires 28 starts. He will be on pace for 22 - short of some trickeration, Randy Smith will be a Free Agent next year. The big question would then be (and I don't know off the top of my head), would he still be eligible for compensation? Would we be able to offer him a Qualifying Offer? So just like last season and 'Train Arollin'', the end of contract vesting option comes into play. The only difference being: Provost was definitely in decline, in our opinion, and Randy Smith is definitely not. Just Not Neat At All...
- So with 'Tugboat' and Imhoff out (for 4 weeks), Aurora will have to depend on Hugh 'Mister, Mister' Jones and just called up Jesus Solis to fill 40% of the rotation. Jones had a rough start in his 2029 PEBA debut against Okinawa - he never had a clean inning, and allowed a 4-spot in the 4th, but his PEBA record to date has been surprisingly good. The 24-year old Solis, the 38th overall pick in the 2026 draft was 7-11, with a 3.37 ERA for a very bad Thornton team last year - but he did have a WHIP of 1.07 and struck out 145, while walking 49. He's had two, 6-inning outings thus far at AA, with 7 H, 4 BB, 12 K and 4 ER over his 12 IP... Stop-gap measures for sure - but can the offense provide the offense that will likely be needed on their days on the mound.
- John Turner, whose spring was awful, continues to put that in the rearview mirror - and his 8 IP, 2 H shut out of Okinawa is prime example. After 3 GS, JT is 2-1, with a 1.86 ERA. To illustrate how dominant he'r been, despite 8 BB in 19 IP, his WHIP is 0.78... Neat!
- Jose Torres is off to another great start, hitting in 7 of 10 games - 5 of which are multi-hit games. He's already hit 4 homers and driven in 9 - leading the team in both categories, as well as leading the team with a .359 average (5th in the SL). He leads the SL in SLG and OPS... It's early, but still it's Neat!
- Two seasons ago, Teddy Loetzsch set the PEBA record for triples with 16 - he had a total of 13 in his first 4 seasons at the PEBA level. Last year he had 4. Two weeks into 2029, he has 4... Neat-O!
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#68 Post by Ghosts »

The Bears cooled a bit in week 2, winning four and losing three while sliding to THIRD place and a half game back of the division leading Yuma Bulldozers. The offense was the main culprit as we managed only 3.0 runs per game and were shut out by Reynaldo Merino and the Codgers in 4-0 loss. While the competition was stiffer this week, facing Fargo and Palm Springs, the Bears expect more than barely exceeding .500 ball during an extended homestand. The next week will be even more challenging as the Bears face Aurora and Palm Springs on the road, and down Martin Ramirez after a week-long suspension. Rookie reliever Jose Garcia is expected to spot start in Ramirez's place. Garcia has given up 2H, 0R, and 0BB while striking out four in 2.1 innings of work so far this year.

Bear of the Week: Bears legend Neil Maes pitched a prototypical gem against Palm Springs, going 7.0 innings and giving up only 4 singles, 2 walks, and 1 run en route to a 7K, 3-0 Bakersfield classic victory.
Dan Vail
Bakersfield Bears 2028-2030
Niihama-shi Ghosts 2010, 2031-current
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#69 Post by Zephyrs »

Is there a curse component in OOTP? I think Reno First-basemen are cursed.
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#70 Post by Leones »

Was looking at the minors and noticed there are no games scheduled this year for the Surf and Snow Amalgamation league. Is that something somebody is working on?
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#71 Post by Borealis »

Leones wrote:Was looking at the minors and noticed there are no games scheduled this year for the Surf and Snow Amalgamation league. Is that something somebody is working on?
When the Short A season reaches it's preseason, the schedule will be generated. I suspect that will happen in the next sim or two...
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#72 Post by Lions »

We went 3-3 to finally win more than 1 game in a week. We scored 8 and 9 runs against Yuma... in separate innings of the same game. We scored 5 more runs in that game than we scored in the other 5 games combined.

We had a great start from Fredrick Cotton, who went 7 innings of no run ball against Duluth. Then in the 9th, the Warriors put Steve Hott in the game. He threw a perfect inning and our shiny new closer coughed up 3 runs to lose it. I'm not saying Steve Hott caused He Ling to explode, but combining "Firecracker" with Hott doesn't seem like a recipe for success.

Our power hitting addition over the offseason, 1B Ron Myers, has 0 home runs so far. Our bigger FA signing, Thomas Woods, has 0 walks so far. We're still 4th in the SL in walks because Juan Hernandez has remembered he's Juan Hernandez.

Oh, and a Badger threw a no-hitter in the minors while only pitching 7 2/3 innings.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#73 Post by Wind Dancers »

Toyama hasn't been playing particularly well, though we have managed a respectable 8-10 record. We know how to hit the ball and get on base, now if we could just drive those runners in. Our highly rated bullpen has also been very poor but our rotation is counteracting that with an impressive 3.32 ERA.

My top prospects have been killing it in the minors with most of currently in AA Toyohira holding a 14-6 record.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#74 Post by Hitmen »

Still in third, but by a thread. The IF depth acquired in recent trades have helped and are playing well enough. But I’m closing the book on the Honma experiment. After stretching out my starters, he will take a reduced role in the bullpen in hopes he still turns this thing around. It’s early, so plenty of time to do so still. Just not as a starter.

I think I am near making my franchise direction decision. Even this early. So much money coming off the books next year for real freedom. Unfortunately I am dealing with just missing setting up all my financials for this year and it will definitely have its impact. Not sure what prior management was thinking jacking up ticket prices so much, profits are going to crash with lack of attendance.

Looking forward to the next sim ;-D
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#75 Post by Arroyos »

Normalcy returns to the Arizona desert. Yuma loses 4 in a row, 8 of the last ten. Fans sigh in relief. Palm Springs surges ahead of the Dozers; only Reno remains between the Yuma club and its traditional resting spot at the bottom of the league. We'll get there. Have faith.
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”