Flashback : An interview with John, post-2014 PEBA season!

Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Flashback : An interview with John, post-2014 PEBA season!

#1 Post by Reg »

So ... I was surfing the OOTP boards for most of the evening, and came across this cool thread, from 2011 (in-game post-2014). It was an interview with none other than John, about PEBA in it's early days, and how it got started!

The PEBAverse Rises From the Ashes of MLB's Demise

The interview is so fascinating, and is a really great reminder about what this league is all about! The amount of thought and effort, sheer number of articles, twists and turns, and imagination from the 100+ GM's that have participated in this league over the last 22 seasons, is nothing short of incredible!
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Flashback : An interview with John, post-2014 PEBA seaso

#2 Post by Leones »

Wow that was a fun trip to the past. Thanks for posting that Reg!
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

DrewV
Triple-A
Triple-A

#3 Post by DrewV »

What an awesome interview. So glad you posted it!
It's much more than a baseball simulator: It's a narrative platform.
This is the biggest thing for me as a brand new member. The storylines are so rich, and so intriguing. The other OOTP sims I'm in pretty much boil down to slack messages. I can definitely tell John is a tabletop guy--I've told my wife that PEBA is baseball meets tabletop RPG.

Really enjoyed this.
Drew Visscher (GM Ricky McCoy) | Duluth Warriors
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Borealis »

mtopham wrote:I found a community that cared, that participated, and communicated with one another. That's what I want to push to others. The sense of community that on-line leagues can bring.

Be patient with a league. Talk it up with the others. Be active. Draw others into the experience though your efforts and build something special. I'm no 'geek' by any stretch of the imagination - unlike some of my self-proclaimed brethren in the PEBA. I never in a hundred years expected to have been drawn into this game and world that John created as I have. That can be you! OOTP provides an amazing array of possibilities, but it takes you - the players, to make it what it can be: immersive, imaginative, fulfilling.
So, I wrote that nearly 7.5 RL years ago (after having been involved for 2.5 RL years), as a response in the above link. I find it's amazing that I still believe this to be true, and that it resonates still, today, as we went through the recruitment process that has brought us our recent group of excellent GMs. It's truly amazing!

Thanks Reg for your digging, discovery, and sharing!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#5 Post by Vic »

Thanks for posting this, Reg. This captures so much of what I love about the PEBA - it’s as much a creative platform as it is a baseball league and the stories our members come up with make the league a living, breathing community. The other thing, which John mentions in the interview and is still true today, is that PEBA is a supportive, welcoming group - which makes it easy to take chances with story lines, etc.

I don’t know how much John keeps track of his creation these days, but I hope he’s well pleased with how things have evolved. I think today’s PEBA very much fits into his original vision.

Well done, guys!

And thanks again, Reg. This was really fun to read.
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by John »

Claymores wrote:I don’t know how much John keeps track of his creation these days, but I hope he’s well pleased with how things have evolved.
In truth, I visit these forums virtually every day, and I never miss a new file. :D

And yes, I'm very well pleased at how this league and its GMs have stuck together. It's a special community, a rich creative environment. That's all down to you guys. You're the PEBA. I'm just living in your world.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#7 Post by Sandgnats »

Thanks for creating it JR!
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats