Use of the DFA

Board of the PEBA
League President
League President

Use of the DFA

#1 Post by Board of the PEBA »

I noticed something, by sheer accident, that I am hopeful is not a common practice.

The purpose of the DFA is to move a player off ones 40-man roster, freeing up a spot for another player. Players that are acquired by a team through signing a free agent contract or via trade will also arrive there - with the intent that they will be moved to an appropriate roster or, in the case of players placed there by a team, rostered or released.

The DFA is not meant to be a revolving door, a pseudo-roster, where players are moved off and then back on DFA on the same calendar day, restarting the clock to buy time, multiple times over many weeks.

There is not the (reasonable amount of) time to study each team's DFA before and after each sim to check for such actions. It is the expectation of The PEBA that GMs act in a fair manner, for the sake of honesty and sportsmanship. If we were talking one player, one instance, then I wouldn't be horribly concerned, but when it is a large number of players at a time, the act fails the spirit of fair play.

I will say no more on the subject and I will hope that everyone will take care to manage their DFA appropriately.
Current PEBA Board Members
Mike Topham (Borealis) - Commissioner
RJ Ermola (Sandgnats)
Dylan Krupilis (Wind Dancers)
Reg LeBlanc (Trendsetters)
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Use of the DFA

#2 Post by Denny »

I assume this post is referring in whole or in part to me, so I must respond.

I utilize the DFA for three main purposes:
1. The usual spot where players are put after injury, trade, etc.

2. Immediately after the draft a place to hold draftees while we evaluate where to put them in the system. This process is still ongoing. Every sim more players are released and the appropriately-aged players who remain on DFA are added to minor league teams to see how they do. This is a slow process, as many players in the minors, particularly SS-A, do not see playing time. I suppose I could move those who have seen no SS-A action to DFA and vice versa, but what purpose does that serve other than empty player-shuffling?

3. Most importantly, I use it as a place to protect my youngest prospects. It has been noted multiple times in the past (former Toyama GM Ron Collins in particular did a lot of research on this) that high-school-aged players struggle when facing college-aged players, which ends up harming those younger players' development; indeed, I can see it playing out in real time in Lanai City, where age 19 SS Mike Holliday, thrown into the breach due to thinness in the infield, is getting absolutely worked by the 22- to 23-year olds who predominate in SS-A.

Now there is nothing wrong with 22- and 23-year olds being in SS-A. And I would love to have my age 18 and 19 guys playing somewhere. But without an age-appropriate league for them (I and others have advocated for a Rookie League to be added to our minor league system for just this purpose), I am not going to let the value of my young prospects be destroyed right out of the gate by throwing them to the SS-A wolves. I will keep them on the DFA until they seem able to fend for themselves.
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
MikeB
Triple-A
Triple-A

#3 Post by MikeB »

I'm a bit guilty on this. Rather than release a minor leaguer less than a handful of times I have waived/DFA'd the player mainly so if there is an injury I don't have to go back and find and sign him or someone else. Mainly for convenience. Thus far those guys have gotten released next sim although I have a catcher with one day left that I need to re-insert due to injury.

I also have waived/DFA'd Ju-chan Na a couple time but he has now been released outright.
Mike Best
San Juan Coqui
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Ghosts »

It seems like there is at least one definitive reason to use the DFA as a holding place for players not ready for SS-A. I'd like to see an official declaration or amendment to the rules that covers this specifically, since it seems like it provides a competitive edge.
Dan Vail
Bakersfield Bears 2028-2030
Niihama-shi Ghosts 2010, 2031-current
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Borealis »

Bears wrote:It seems like there is at least one definitive reason to use the DFA as a holding place for players not ready for SS-A. I'd like to see an official declaration or amendment to the rules that covers this specifically, since it seems like it provides a competitive edge.
Yes, and that is why I brought this up. I am hopeful that for now, people will treat the DFA as intended. As we move into the offseason, we will work on official language (for the Constitution) and begin earnest discussion regarding the possibility of a 5th level for young players (I see it as something like the IC, but with games being played).
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

#6 Post by Fishermen »

Perhaps then we can move all the IC players there then? With an age limit of 19 perhaps so the 16 or 17 yr olds would be competitive? I still fancy a winter league though :wink:
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Borealis »

Harpoon wrote:Perhaps then we can move all the IC players there then? With an age limit of 19 perhaps so the 16 or 17 yr olds would be competitive? I still fancy a winter league though :wink:
Well their contemporaries are playing HS ball...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Borealis »

Whether or not we decide to have another level of minors, do expect something coming down the road about use of the DFA for harboring players in unacceptable manners. In my (and I believe I speak for the Board) opinion, it flies in the face of the Spirit of competition. We all need to play by the same rule set. I do not want to play the role of tyrant, but the few playing under one set of 'rules' while the rest play it straight up is not acceptable. This line of discussion began a month ago, and there are still offenders.
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Duane »

yes yes, it is almost finished. I have a couple I flipped last sim, and 1 guy with contract but I am sick of his face (who has been waived) ... I think 4 on DFA
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Borealis »

Thoroughbreds wrote:yes yes, it is almost finished. I have a couple I flipped last sim, and 1 guy with contract but I am sick of his face (who has been waived) ... I think 4 on DFA
You are not the only offender, Duane... Others were on my mind, actually...
Board of the PEBA
League President
League President

#11 Post by Board of the PEBA »

The following is language the Board is considering as an addition to the Constitution, to come into effect for the 2029 season:

"The DFA list is not to be used as a place to stash players. Draftees and players signed to recent minor league contracts are expected to be assigned to a roster. Minor leaguers cannot be repetitively moved on and off the DFA list as a means of holding onto more players than allowed, or to moderate their playing time. Should it come to the Board’s attention that this is occuring, and the Board is of the opinion that this is the action being taken, the Board will contact the GM and issue a warning. Should the action continue to occur, the Board will have the discretion of releasing the players involved in the infraction. A 2 CP per player penalty will be applied."
Current PEBA Board Members
Mike Topham (Borealis) - Commissioner
RJ Ermola (Sandgnats)
Dylan Krupilis (Wind Dancers)
Reg LeBlanc (Trendsetters)

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”