New Warriors GM

DrewV
Triple-A
Triple-A

New Warriors GM

#1 Post by DrewV »

BREAKING: NEW GM ANNOUNCED AT WARRIOR HALL

It was already sweltering this morning at Warrior Hall when Jason Bong, surrounded by his family, announced to the large gathering of reporters that the search for the Warrior GM was at last over.

“Our family is proud to invest our trust in the intellect and charisma of Ricky McCoy,” Jason Bong announced with no small fanfare. As is tradition in Warrior Hall, the encased American flag given to Mrs. Richard Bong at her husband’s funeral was on display. This was particularly poignant, given that the new GM is a recently-retired Army officer.
But who is Richard McCoy?

This was the question of the morning—and although Mr. Bong seemed pleased with the decision, the family seemed rather pacific about surrendering the reins of their already-floundering franchise to a complete outsider and amateur.

A retired Lieutenant Colonel, McCoy was a West Point Left Fielder (Class of 2004) and All-Army coach. He ended his first year as an All-Army outfielder early to participate in the early days of Iraq. His PACOM team, based in Camp Humphreys, North Korea, is listed as the “FORSCOM All-Army Champions” for six out of his seven seasons as Head Coach.
While praising McCoy’s military service, the tense atmosphere of the question fielding was undeniable. Michael “Mad” Madigan of XWAR, host of the popular local call-in “War Room” show, got straight to business:

“Mr. McCoy, I don’t mean any disrespect, but why exactly should the city of Duluth trust a small-ball outsider with no professional experience to save a sinking ship?”

“You shouldn’t,” McCoy replied. “This is a great city who loves her baseball team. You have a right to be skeptical. Let’s have this talk a year from now, Mike, and see if that question doesn’t answer itself.”

Peter Bjornson of the Duluth Herald asked McCoy how he found himself at the helm of the franchise—a consistent .500 team with a recent championship.

“Honestly, it was providence,” McCoy answered simply. “Of course I knew Mark Kierstead from the Korean Leagues—he was, he still is, a big name over there, with all he’s done for the Asian leagues. I was involved in marketing and scouting out of Seoul. I was planning on accepting a position on the board of KT (Korean Telecommunications) when I got a call from Mr. Bong himself.”

McCoy, a big name in the Army Logistics community, finished is career as Deputy Chief of Staff of Sustainment, United States Forces Korea. He told the room of reporters he turned down a promotion to “fulfill his dream of coaching baseball before it was too late.”

“This club needs leadership,” Mr. Bong explained when his turn came to field. “We have the players, we have the fanbase—hell, we have one of the best pitching staffs in baseball. We need someone who can take our vision and execute. Our family can’t think of one any better for that than a knowledgeable and passionate logistics guru with unparalleled leadership experience.”

One thing’s certain, “Colonel” McCoy is wasting no time taking the helm. Memorandums have been issued to all league levels, meetings are scheduled nonstop, and the wire is buzzing with rumors about possible trades and releases, as Duluth sinks deeper into a potential financial disaster at the end of the season.

But on Monday morning, in the decorated emerald walls of Warrior Hall, Colonel McCoy looks ready to do battle.
Last edited by DrewV on Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Drew Visscher (GM Ricky McCoy) | Duluth Warriors
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: New Warriors GM

#2 Post by Borealis »

Excellent!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Glad to have you aboard Ricky. Duluth isn't far from having won the title, and it sounds like you are just the man to get them back on track (sorry RJ...)!

Good Luck!!!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#3 Post by Sandgnats »

Welcome to the Great Lakes and best to the Warriors financial pickle...
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
KenH
Triple-A
Triple-A

#4 Post by KenH »

Alright!!!! Welcome to the fray, Ricky!!!
Ken Hannahs -- Farstriders GM (2023-2037)
2025, 2033, 2034, 2035 PEBA Champion
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#5 Post by Alleghenies »

Welcome!!!
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#6 Post by Wind Dancers »

Welcome! I've been caretaking the Warriors and while things look ugly now, you should have some much needed financial flexibility in the offseason.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
DrewV
Triple-A
Triple-A

#7 Post by DrewV »

Wind Dancers wrote:Welcome! I've been caretaking the Warriors and while things look ugly now, you should have some much needed financial flexibility in the offseason.
I'm glad someone was stewarding them! I am not going to lie, I stayed up half the night reading the history and stats of each player. There is so much lore! So many stories to follow through the reports and on the forums. I read about 1/3 of "See the PBA on $25 a Day.".

I can't say how fun, creative, and cool I think this league is. This is the kind of thing you wished existed growing up in little league. Very happy to be here.
Drew Visscher (GM Ricky McCoy) | Duluth Warriors
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Leones »

Welcome aboard Ricky!
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by John »

What an awesome introduction! So glad to have you, Ricky! Glad to hear you're already diving into the lore. There really is a lot to consume!
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Evas »

Welcome aboard! I don't
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

#11 Post by Fishermen »

I’m not the most loyal GM (six PEBA / one LRS franchises lol) but I always love to delve into the history of a team, it really makes the league come alive. Fantastic intro and I’m sure you’ll really slot in here
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Lions »

Great introduction. Welcome to the league!
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Akira
All-Star
All-Star

#13 Post by Akira »

Nice having you here. So how many open GM positions do we have now? Seems like we are filling up pretty well.
RonHi
ronhi0@yahoo.com
Neo-Tokyo Akira
Trade Block updated on 2/12/2021
2012 Neo-Tokyo Cup Winner
2017 Neo-Tokyo Cup Winner
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Reg »

Welcome to the league! I think you're going to have a heck of a lot of fun here! ;-D
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Reg »

Akira wrote:Nice having you here. So how many open GM positions do we have now? Seems like we are filling up pretty well.
There is currently only one open team left : Bakersfield
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”