That's why the PEBA is so good

Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

That's why the PEBA is so good

#1 Post by Fishermen »

During my time in the PEBA we have had several heart stopping moments when everything started steaming, smoking and ground to a halt but everytime the Board of the time have quietly put their heads together and put another sticky plaster on, tightened a few nuts and sent it back out on the open road. This has been another of those occasions, complete breakdown of the system on the day of the draft. No panic the board figured it out and thanks to the dedication of them, and the league's GMs, we got through it and finished the draft on schedule, even if it was well into the early hours of the morning for our European contingent.

Don't get the idea that these email drafts are the way forward lol, we had all spent the week diligently preparing for the draft so it did flow. I have been in many a forum/email draft where we haven't made 13 picks in a week let alone a day :P

My thanks to everyone who put themselves to the coal face when hard work was required ;-D
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Re: That's why the PEBA is so good

#2 Post by Wind Dancers »

Harpoon wrote:During my time in the PEBA we have had several heart stopping moments when everything started steaming, smoking and ground to a halt but everytime the Board of the time have quietly put their heads together and put another sticky plaster on, tightened a few nuts and sent it back out on the open road. This has been another of those occasions, complete breakdown of the system on the day of the draft. No panic the board figured it out and thanks to the dedication of them, and the league's GMs, we got through it and finished the draft on schedule, even if it was well into the early hours of the morning for our European contingent.

Don't get the idea that these email drafts are the way forward lol, we had all spent the week diligently preparing for the draft so it did flow. I have been in many a forum/email draft where we haven't made 13 picks in a week let alone a day :P

My thanks to everyone who put themselves to the coal face when hard work was required ;-D
Trust me "No panic" is not how the board slack channel looked over the past few days !+)

I tend to agree about drafts, I really like our Statlab/PEBAchat based live drafts.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
KenH
Triple-A
Triple-A

#3 Post by KenH »

If theres something that can either make or break groups its times of uncertainty. I'm amazed how everyone dealt with the surprise of draft day. I'm so excited to keep this great league beating forward.
Ken Hannahs -- Farstriders GM (2023-2037)
2025, 2033, 2034, 2035 PEBA Champion
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Evas »

I couldn't agree more.

Heroic efforts.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Dinosaurs
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#5 Post by Dinosaurs »

So...I'm feeling pretty in the dark here. Server was down Saturday and Sunday when I checked (which I checked multiple times), couldn't get on the forums or statslab or the website. I didn't receive any emails (if that was how things ended up going) and I'm still kinda confused what happened here.
Cristian Shofar - GM Fargo Dinosaurs
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Borealis »

Hey Cristian, multiple emails were sent out over the course of Saturday and Sunday morning. I know you were on the list of emails that were used - unless it was an old or incorrect one (off had it was your last name @something' - I'd have to look). I'm sorry you didn't get them - it was not an intentional thing in any manner. We were left to assume you were 'out of the loop' for some reason. I am sorry.

The good news is, during the early rounds we didn't leave the draft choices of absent teams wholly up to the StatsLab gods. Between the advice of your in-game scout, and the opinion of Board members (mostly me, Dylan, and/or RJ), we made a concentrated effort to make a good choice, and to avoid the 'auto-draft-I-have-10-catcher's Syndrome'. If you find the results unsatisfactory, I do apologize - but we truly did the best we could. I really was conscious of getting a range of qualified positions for the absent teams over the first 6-rounds. At that point I was both brain dead and focusing on my own picks.

I do apologize, but we did our best...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Bureaucrats
Double-A
Double-A

#7 Post by Bureaucrats »

Harpoon wrote:During my time in the PEBA we have had several heart stopping moments when everything started steaming, smoking and ground to a halt but everytime the Board of the time have quietly put their heads together and put another sticky plaster on, tightened a few nuts and sent it back out on the open road. This has been another of those occasions, complete breakdown of the system on the day of the draft. No panic the board figured it out and thanks to the dedication of them, and the league's GMs, we got through it and finished the draft on schedule, even if it was well into the early hours of the morning for our European contingent.

Seeing as this was my first time being with the PEBA during a disaster, I was a little concerned, but their constant reaching out was absolutely on point. It helped.
Justin Barker
GM Arlington Bureaucrats
Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

#8 Post by Fishermen »

I think we’ve learnt over the disasters to do those sort of things Justin. I freely admit when I was commish it wasn’t handled so smoothly during the last stoppage and the contraction, we had a few raised voices along the way but everyone was only that way because they’re so passionate about the league and like you get frightened about it in times of chaos.
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Denny »

I too am very proud of how everyone stepped into the breach when things went sideways. Speaking as a member of the rank and file, I thought that the email communications were key to keeping the majority of folks in the loop.

It did really point up how vulnerable we are when the website is down. I personally didn’t even think to check my email until well into Saturday afternoon (thank heavens the email address the commish had on file still worked!) For the future, maybe everyone could confirm their email address at the start of a season or something, just to be safe in case of a future outage like this?
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Borealis »

Codgers wrote:For the future, maybe everyone could confirm their email address at the start of a season or something, just to be safe in case of a future outage like this?
I think this is an excellent suggestion!! Aside from Christian, whose email I now have straight, if you failed to receive an email over the weekend - or have another, preferred email for us to use, please PM me with the details...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#11 Post by Sandgnats »

:clap:

You all make this league so much fun. Thanks guys!
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”