Basic Draft Question

Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

Basic Draft Question

#1 Post by Vic »

Just wondering ... I have a list in StatsLab about 170 players deep. Should I go deeper than that, or should that cover me? If you figure 26 teams and 15 rounds, you would need 390 or so names to cover yourself completely. But wow, um ... is the time invested in doing that worth escalating the annoyance my wife already feels towards this project? Not sure my math skills are up to computing that.

Curious what other folks typically do. Do you let the computer cover you in lower rounds? Or do you come up with a complete list and hope your significant other can't figure out how to disengage the safety on the firearm she just purchased ...
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

Re: Basic Draft Question

#2 Post by Fishermen »

I just do a lot of it on the fly, I know thequalties I want and I just search for the highest available when it gets to the lower rounds. This year it’s hard to make a list at all as my first pick is #56 so by the time I pick I’m already into the second-raters
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Borealis »

Great questions Vic!

I guess the answer to the question, in part, depends on what you plan on doing. Some guys make a list as long as they can stomach (I guess) and then take their chances. I am the opposite - I plan on attending a draft and be ready to draft on the fly. I have my list, but I'm ready to adjust as I see positions fly out the window. More often than not, I have not taken the guy at the top of my list. But I've been at the drafts and can make those calls on the fly. Then there is those somewhere in the middle...

There is also the beauty of our league using scouts - a player I see as a top-notch prospect, you may not - and you will find that the list of players who are getting drafted may vary greatly from your list. As a result, your list of 170 may very well be plenty!! Couple that with the fact that we draft over two days, you can always add to the end of your list Saturday night as needed.

The Draft is a fun event and I hope you are planing on attending!!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#4 Post by Wind Dancers »

Borealis wrote:Great questions Vic!

I guess the answer to the question, in part, depends on what you plan on doing. Some guys make a list as long as they can stomach (I guess) and then take their chances. I am the opposite - I plan on attending a draft and be ready to draft on the fly. I have my list, but I'm ready to adjust as I see positions fly out the window. More often than not, I have not taken the guy at the top of my list. But I've been at the drafts and can make those calls on the fly. Then there is those somewhere in the middle...

There is also the beauty of our league using scouts - a player I see as a top-notch prospect, you may not - and you will find that the list of players who are getting drafted may vary greatly from your list. As a result, your list of 170 may very well be plenty!! Couple that with the fact that we draft over two days, you can always add to the end of your list Saturday night as needed.

The Draft is a fun event and I hope you are planing on attending!!
And then a few months after the draft, your scout decides that #1 pick that he loved before isn’t nearly as good as he thought :-o
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#5 Post by Vic »

Michael, I do indeed plan on attending, but can submit the list as a failsafe, just in case.

One thing I’ve found is that my scout pretty much hates everyone. About the nicest thing he’s said about any of the top pitching prospects is that, maybe, they’ll develop into solid middle relievers ... haven’t found anyone he thinks could make the rotation. What a grump!
Last edited by Vic on Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Borealis »

Don't feel bad - I think most scouts think the top pitchers are career AA middle relievers...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

#7 Post by Fishermen »

I would echo Mike’s sentiments and hope everyone makes the live draft. For those of you that have only ever drafted via the boards or statslab/ootpu it’s a real experience, no more being marooned for days waiting for someone to make their pick one before you and no two hours to think on your pick. It’s right there in front of you, your pick arrives the clock is ticking and the rest of the GM’s are restless.
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Lions »

The draft is crazy... I recommend bringing an assistant along.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Borealis »

Badgers wrote:The draft is crazy... I recommend bringing an assistant along.
Dang... That was 7-years ago?? Wow... time flies... You must have blinked...
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Lions »

Borealis wrote:Dang... That was 7-years ago?? Wow... time flies... You must have blinked...
Sadly, it's the only PEBA draft he attended. He's starting T-ball this year.
Frank Esselink
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Borealis »

Badgers wrote:
Borealis wrote:Dang... That was 7-years ago?? Wow... time flies... You must have blinked...
Sadly, it's the only PEBA draft he attended. He's starting T-ball this year.
YAY!!!
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Borealis »

This is as good a place as any to remind folks that if you intend to trade 2028 draft picks, those deals have to happen before next Thursday's (2/14) sim. There will be no trades of picks after that sim and before the draft.

After the draft, 2029 picks can be exchanged.

Just a friendly FYI...
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Borealis »

Are You Ready to Rumble... err... Draft!?!?!?

The Live Draft is tomorrow and Sunday, both days starting at 10 am PT, in the PEBA Chat Room. The actual selections are done in StatsLab, so if you've made a list, please be sure to get that posted into StatsLab's Team War Room. All selections - be that you physically making the selection, or Dylan (running the show behind The Curtain)/StatsLab from a list (or lack of - not a good plan, FYI) are made through StatsLab. Please do not expect to make that happen in-game. You'll be disappointed. If you are unclear as to how to get your list uploaded, or are having difficulties, please PM me or Dylan (or, I suppose, Frank? - sorry Frank...) and we'll do our best to help!!

The Live Draft is a great place to come and hang out, shoot the breeze, discuss League happenings or stealthily converse with others about trades (keep in mind, these new draftees can't be dealt yet - nor can any 2028 picks) - and if you make it through most of the process, you get a nice chunk of CP!! That's a win-win!!

There is no need for you to export for this 'sim', as I will not be importing before the draft. Once the draft has concluded, I will import the list into the game and upload a new file Sunday evening - without moving us forward. You will download this, take care of business and export. We will sim Tuesday (5-days, 4-games) and Friday (the usual lot) this coming week - giving you an extra day to get your draft results digested.

Who does Yuma have cued up for #1? Hmmmmmmm... :-? Who will Okinawa make Mr. Irrelevant 2028?? We shall find out soon!
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Lions »

Borealis wrote: (or, I suppose, Frank? - sorry Frank...) and we'll do our best to help!!
Absolutely!
Frank Esselink
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Arroyos »

Borealis wrote:Are You Ready to Rumble... err... Draft!?!?!?

Who does Yuma have cued up for #1? Hmmmmmmm... :-? Who will Okinawa make Mr. Irrelevant 2028?? We shall find out soon!
Oh, come on! There's no surprise in who Yuma will pick first. Until he tore his labrum, I was considering Mr Wiggins, mostly because he must be related to that famous left-hander Henry Wiggens, who authored one of the best baseball books ever, Bang the Drum Slowly. But with the younger Wiggins out of the picture, Yuma may have to break all its rules and draft an infielder first.
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”