Spring Training Chatter - 2029

Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Spring Training Chatter - 2029

#1 Post by Lions »

We used to have a dedicate ST thread... so here's a place to keep all this ST stuff for posterity!

5 Spring Training Questions:
  • Biggest Spring Training story line on your team?
  • The X-factor to your own season?
  • Personal goals you met and failed this off-season?
  • Other than your team, which team or who are you watching this spring?
  • Who (team/player) will burst onto the scene this season?
  • Bonus: Make a prediction on the 2029 season. It should be something you wouldn't post in the 2029 Predictions thread.
Last edited by Lions on Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Spring Training Chatter - 2029

#2 Post by Lions »

Biggest Spring Training story line on your team?
The biggest story lines for us are down in the minors. A few of the top prospects might get a cup of coffee in ST, but none are likely to break camp on the big league roster. We are quite excited to have Thomas Woods, who our scouts love. The pitching... anyone who can come up with a 90 ERA+ or better is likely going to be one of our top performers.

The X-factor to your own season?
As stated above: Rule 5 draft picks! I've got several that figure to stick with the club. Of the 9 I drafted, only one has been returned so far. Some of them are likely going to be limited in terms of playing time, but at least a couple are players I may end up leaning on. Can they hack it?

Also, 3B Yakamochi Kobayashi. He took a big step forward last year and became an All-Star. Can he continue that play?

Personal goals you met and failed this off-season?
Met: Add some depth to the offense.
Met: Take care of team personnel and the internal budgets.
Failed: Obtain a legitimate #1/#2 starting pitcher.
Failed: Obtain more draft picks

This organization was in such a bad state last spring, and I took it over when ST was already half way through. There was very little to choose from. We had almost not talent that was worth trading, and the talent that I do have is either undesirable due to contracts or worth holding on to. It seems everyone wants Jimenez or Ornelza. The pitching will once again be atrocious, but the offense should be somewhat improved.

Other than your team, which team or who are you watching this spring?
West Virginia will be fun to watch in the IL. I'm also really curious how my division will play out. Crystal Lake seems to always have something up their sleeve. Will Fargo have a championship hangover? I love the fact that they signed a 35 and 36 year old free agent, both of whom are about 7 years younger than Rob Raines. I really don't know where Canton and Duluth will fall, but I don't think either is ready to challenge for a wild card yet.

I'll be following some of the international FA's that signed big contracts. My scout liked some of them, but really didn't care for a few that got large deals.

Who (team/player) will burst onto the scene this season?
SP Luppe van Dam - He looks like he's ready to make PEBA hitters miserable for a long time.

Bonus: Make a prediction on the 2029 season.
Rob Raines will get his 3,000th career hit on his birthday: September 24.
Frank Esselink
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#3 Post by Wind Dancers »

Whether or not the significant movement in the offseason will improve the team across the board. We had a lot of people leave and join and a lot of the new guys were targeted to improve our teams defensively and help our pitching out a bit.

My 1-2-3 combo of Juarez, Fudd, Salinas. Fudd and Salinas both had big season's last year while Juarez uncharacteristically struggled. We don't have many big bats that can drive in runs so these three will need to play well and make it easier on the guys behind them.

Met: Improving our defense and pitching. We brought in a few solid defensive guys who can hold their own at the plate as well as pitchers who have proven themselves in the PEBA.
Failed: The unlikely goal of bringing in a true game-changer. It was always going to be a struggle to bring in a big name player, so we instead decided to bring in more "just good" guys instead. e also didn't get many fan interest boosting players either.

Okinawa. They are within shooting distance and have had a similar positive offseason like us.

Kentucky. Had a great 2027 but then tripped up a bit last year. Duane spent some money on a few quality guys and I think they are going to come fighting back in force.

Bonus: Make a prediction on the 2029 season. It should be something you wouldn't post in the 2029 Predictions thread.
Michel 'Train Arollin' Provost will return and be a thorn in the side of Aurora and will always pitch well against them despite having dropped off a bit.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
DrewV
Triple-A
Triple-A

#4 Post by DrewV »

Fun idea Frank!

John Howe and Sean Kirkland both had phenomenal September callups and will be slugging for their lives on a crowed Duluth active roster. I'm excited to see how both of these young players perform.

Our incredibly talented young pitching staff. They were called up early (by AI?) last season after the harrowing Duluth injuries, but if they can reach their potential, Henry Carter, Jeffrey Mendoza, and Orlando Trujillo will be real flamethrowers. Each had commendable seasons last year at 22 years old.

Likewise, young slugger Gary Charron had an awesome season last year and shows the potential to hit 40 homers in 2029.

Met: Significantly upgrade defense
Met: Balance the budget to project for profit
Met: Significantly increase Fan Interest
Failed: Upgrade at SP
Failed: Upgrade at 2B

After just half a season with PEBA, I wasn't ready to dive headfirst into rebuilding for 2029. I feel like I need a better eye for good/bad trades, prospects, and timing. I wouldn't say I had a "conservative" offseason, but I was able to re-arrange the budget and bring in enough popular players to revitalize the market (for now) whlle staying in the green. This took a lot of trading and spreadsheet study--and while I predict a similar record this year for Duluth, I like the team I've put together and the potential of many players in Warrior Nation.

Looking to the Great Lakes, I did a lot of projecting for an upcoming Interlake Register article. Crystal Lake and Fargo should be neck-in-neck--so many of their team averages are just tenths away from each other. Canton had a conservative offseason and should hook the 3-slot again with little issues--so I see Duluth in 4th and Kalamazoo in 5th this season

SP Luppe van Dam is the obvious answer from a ratings standpoint. Also, he carved up AAA last year. And he's only 21. Good luck, Dixie!

Also, shameless plug, don't sleep on Jeffrey Mendoza. He had a very successful and under-reported rookie season last year, and I think he's improved this offseason.

1) Crystal Lake will make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs, at least
2) Steve Hott will finally give up an earned run (maybe)
Drew Visscher (GM Ricky McCoy) | Duluth Warriors
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#5 Post by Alleghenies »

Who will win the last spot in the pen and the last spot on the bench? I have about 18 players fighting for 2 spots.

Well no surprise here, Don Mercer.

Met: Acquire Top-line SP (Gonzalez)
Met: Big Bat (Mercer)
Met: 2nd utility IF (Berry)
Met: Rebuild pen (no one but Wilton left from last year playoff roster)
Failed: Starting 1b that has good range
Failed: Not spend 55+ mil

I can't wait to watch Charleston and also looking forward to race vs Aurora and Bakersfield.

1) It will be a fun season
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Borealis »

For a team that already is mostly set, I think it boils down to Imhoff and Zamora - is Imhoff ready to stay healthy and pitch to the high potential and expectations. Zamora started hot in 2028 - so much that he forced 'Fudd' out of town (well, 'Fudd' forced himself out), then fell off the planet. Meanwhile, Howard Joyce, acquired in the Fudd deal, played very well when he was called up last fall, and is going to battle Zamora for the 4th OF spot.

Secondarily, will some of these guys be around? 'Tugboat', Pope, and Gray's status with the team are not as solid as in the past.

Will Nick Heath perform like he did in 2028? What does Britt have left in the tank? Will the Top 4 starters perform (and stay healthy) enough where the only concern is the 5-spot? Will Roy Duke supply enough to be a key backup?

Met: signed our first ever Rule 5 guy: Roy Duke
Met: had our first former player become a coach: 'Stork' at SLRC
Met: didn't spend any more money
Failed: when there are no serious goals because you have no cash - can you fail?

Wouldn't Luppe van Dam look great in Aurora Blue? Keep telling Ken that... Aurora's second selection of last years draft, Stewart Arundale, looks like he's following in Ferringo's shoes - which suggests by September he'll have ML AB's...

Bakersfield. I would not be shocked if they won it all. They've done a nice job of adding both for now and the future.

1. Steve Hott leads the League in wins because every time he takes the mound, teams concede.
2. Bob Burns surpasses his career save total in 2029.
3. Yes, Dylan - Mikey P will be a pain in the gluteus maximus, medius and minimus...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Evas »

[quote="Alleghenies"]Biggest Spring Training story line on your team?
My roster is pretty much set. But trying to keep an aging roster healthy is a big concern. We need to keep everyone rested enough for the first couple weeks.

LF Jim Fox. He has not had success in PEBA to date (77 OPS+ in 1989 PA). But my scout LOVES him, especially vs. LHP. If he could make an impact vs. lefties, it would be huge for my squad.

Met: Cleared up $18M in salary room by moving Webb and a couple others
Met: Replaced my retiring scouting director with a promising successor.
Met: Add a solid and cost controlled starter in Littleworth
Met: Replace my traded away upper round draft capital
Failed: Adding a star offensive player.
Failed: Adding a young high ceiling reliever

I think Duluth will surprise some people.

Tomás Martínez blows up and wins the SL MVP.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
KenH
Triple-A
Triple-A

#8 Post by KenH »

Great idea Frank!

• Biggest Spring Training story line on your team?
Florida is largely remade this year. We have ~4 starting position players the same and a similar rotation, but in terms of the bullpen and line-up, we're going to be very different than we were last year. Going into the off-season, our big thing was being able to be solvent. Over the past few years, we've been bailed out by our beneificent overlord, but this off-season he gave us some pretty hefty guidlines to hit, so we felt we had to make some moves in order to fulfill our duty to ownership while still fieldling a team that the Florida fans have come to expect. That's why, although you won't see Andy Sharp, you'll now see Danny Burke behind the plate, catching the first pitch of the season from Hyung-Jin "Cactus" Kang. Of course, our other story lines are our three very exciting rookie(ish) arms in Luppe van Dam, Juan Acosta and Ty Evans. In the first year, I'm expecting Acosta and Evans along with long-time F-Head Forest Major to anchor the 'pen, while Luppe van Dam gets his licks in as a starter. All-in-all, it's an exciting year. It was a lot of trades to give our team financial flexibility, while still hopefully putting together a team that can compete for the Dixie pennant.
  • The X-factor to your own season?
The X-factor has to be the smaller signings we've made this off-season... particularly Eugenio Zuniga, Pablo Garza, and long-time F-Head Dave Crocker. All three of these players were signed with an express purpose and they'll all get ample playing time throughout the year. I'm really excited to see if Zuniga's AMAZING OPS in AAA against left handed pitching translates to success in the majors. I'm also so excited to see what Jose "Greased Lightning" Villareal does in Florida maroon.
  • Personal goals you met and failed this off-season?
Met: Free up budget space by utilizing my draft picks
Met: Extend Danny Burton to utilize that juicy player option next year
Met: Improve my starting rotation (added Hyung-Jin Kang)
Failed: Upgrading/Getting out from under Miguel Yanez's contract... it's not bad but he had a terrible year last year
Failed: Holding on to the coveted 6th pick the draft.
  • Other than your team, which team or who are you watching this spring?
I'm excited to see Charleston's players jockey for roster spots. I love the idea of a bunch of one-time successful free agents basically doing battle to get their spot on the opening day roster. I'm also watching Kentucky. Closely. Obviously. In terms of the SL, I have a special place in my heart for Crystal Lake of course. I'm very interested to see the re-branded Wind Dancers as well.
  • Who (team/player) will burst onto the scene this season?
I mean... Luppe. Otherwise Pablo Ortiz is going to win the SL ROY presupposing no injuries. Speaking of which, could you even imagine a 2b/ss combo of Pablo Ortiz and Ricardo Mateo? It would be the most insane combination in the history of sports and I would cry. I need it to happen, but in the SL please. (All I'm saying is that Denny has the 15th pick in rounds 1-5 and Royce Raines....)
  • Bonus: Make a prediction on the 2029 season. It should be something you wouldn't post in the 2029 Predictions thread.
The 2029 season will be the most trade-heavy season in the history of PEBA. If you thought last year's trade deadline was crazy, get ready.
Ken Hannahs -- Farstriders GM (2023-2037)
2025, 2033, 2034, 2035 PEBA Champion
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Leones »

Who will be in left field when camp breaks. With over $42 million in contracts producing 0.8 WAR the club was clearly not happy with the productivity in left. Bill Jones has the early inside track with his string bat. Though he was formerly rated at LF he's not now and will need to prove he can still field the position. Local Hero Sergio Sosa will get a sniff if Jones can't hack it. Hale and Suzuki will be lingering in the background looking to make good on their contracts.

Dave Hurley. The eldest Leone, at a Codgerly 35 years old, will be looked to for leadership and a steadying presence. He'll also be the yin to Colby Pena's wang. If Hurley's age doesn't catch up to him this season and he can be average defensivley you can light up that cigar.

Met:
Kept the rotation together nad signed up for another couple years.
Found a club leader/captain.
Improved the financial balance of the club.
Improved the farm system.
Found a solution to address 2B concerns.

Failed:
Improve the bullpen.
Get the AAA pitching staff rebuilt.
End the uncertainty in LF

We'll have an eye peeled for the pesky players in plaid. Scottish really cought us out last year and they've only improved. Pat Barry will be a force to reckon with. We'll trust our youth will outlast their urrrr... wisdom. :)

... and Steve Hott of course

I'm going with LF Jeffrey Grier (NT). This guy should be tickling .400 once he gets comfortable in PEBA. He's only 25 with a single season under his belt. He's gotta breakout soon.

Bonus: Make a prediction on the 2029 season. It should be something you wouldn't post in the 2029 Predictions thread.

Pitching's not giving up the roost in PEBA. We'll have four 20 game winners this season.
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Arroyos »

The trade of C Danny Burke has precipitated a front office crisis of faith. No one trusts anyone else. Owners continue to express their displeasure with the GM's decisions and now manager Davey Goode is in the dog house. Rumors are flying and heads may soon be rolling.

No one in Yuma's front office is quite sure what an X-factor is. We never watched the X-Files because local cable companies didn't carry it. But we are overwhelmed with questions which might be translated into an algebraic formula something like: x + y -z / capricious owners = last place again. Or, in English: Will Acting GM Pam Postema be able to pull the team together? Will she and manager Goode both be released? Will once and future GM Mayberry be released from the mental hospital and return to run the club?

Failed to escape Camarillo State Hospital, again. Failed to persuade the doctors to reduce my shock treatments, again. Failed to trade for all the 1st round draft picks, again. Failed to infuse the Yuma community with the hope it so desperately needs, again.

Yuma always has its eyes on the Codgers, just north of us across the Sonoran desert in wealthy Palm Springs. They are our antithesis and we drool at the prospect of a town littered with swimming pools and upscale restaurants. Since the closing of Yuma's public pool, we only have a pair of taco trucks to amuse us.

Bursting ON to the scene not typical Yuma fare. But we expect some major bursting OFF the scene, probably from manager Goode, perhaps from Acting GM Postema, and maybe--as a longshot--from some or all of the disgruntled owners.

Mayberry will find the secret passage out of the state hospital and return to his desk and comfy chair in the Yuma front office.

Oh, yeah, and the Bulldozers will once again lose 100+ games. (Tough call that.)
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Underground
Double-A
Double-A

#11 Post by Underground »

There's a lot of new faces in my lineup this year, including new catcher(s), second baseman, third baseman, and right fielder, plus some changes in the bullpen and rotation. For Underground fans though, the biggest story should be return to health of young SP Lee Mitchell. The former 1st overall pick tore his rotator cuff in October of 2027. 5 months later he suffered an incredible 15 month setback. Mitchell is finally healthy and ready to go, though team officials indicate he will be on a low pitch count to start spring training as he works his way back up to game speed.

2B Sixto Duenas - I was able to sign him to a pretty cheap deal this offseason, likely due to an abysmal season in which he only hit .205. I am hoping a change of scenery brings him back to his 2016-2017 numbers, which saw him bat as high as .244 and more important sport a 2.8 WAR. Numbers like that would massively help to pad the bottom third of my lineup, which was a disaster last season. If my lineup can be at least a marginal threat top to bottom, I should have a real shot at staying in the playoff hunt to the end this year.

Met: Successfully navigate my first offseason with only minimal failure or disaster
Met: Upgraded at 2B (not saying much)
Met: Upgraded at 3B (not saying much)
Met: Acquired enough viable SP to have a 5 man rotation
Met: Didn't spend too much money on any single player
Failed: Not understanding how much my fans cared about some of the guys I let walk, resulting in a pretty big drop in fan interest overall

Scotland. Always Scotland, because someone needs to keep an eye on those freedom shouting northerners.
Evan Seary
London Underground
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Lions »

Underground wrote:Other than your team, which team or who are you watching this spring?
Scotland. Always Scotland, because someone needs to keep an eye on those freedom shouting northerners.
:clap:
Frank Esselink
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#13 Post by Sandgnats »

Badgers wrote:
Underground wrote:Other than your team, which team or who are you watching this spring?
:clap:
:clap: :lol: ;-D

"As I drink my Lagavulin 16"
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#14 Post by Vic »

How much does Yogi have left? The Scottish signed Francisco Robles to a one-year, $15 million contract so he could have one last hurrah and not got out on the shoulder injury that ended his 2028 season 3 months early.

His skill ratings are a pretty pedestrian 5-5-9 (91-93 mph), and he got lit up in his first outing this spring (5 hits, 4 runs in 2 IP). Still, that’s his first game back after a serious shoulder injury and he was on a tight (40) pitch count.

There are pitching options already on staff should Robles be finished, but everyone’s hoping Yogi can put together one last decent season before riding off into retirement.

The X-Factor to your own season?
Gee, only one? Well, if I have to pick, I’d say it’s whether we can make the “stopper” concept work in the bullpen. Assuming Robles can stay in the rotation, Roger Keller will become one of three stoppers in the pen. William Talley is tabbed for the 7th inning/close game role; Keller for the 8th inning/close game role; and Ken Fisher for the 8th or later and lead role.

Early on in Spring Training, so far, so good ... sorta. Talley and Keller have done well, Fisher got rocked in his first outing against London, and touched up a bit against West Virginia. That’s hardly cause for panic. We like the stopper concept, and think we have guys who can pull it off. But we’ll see.

X-factor 1(b) – I know, I’m cheating – is whether Pat Barry can pick up where Don Mercer left off. This doesn’t seem a particularly risky bet: Barry’s an excellent player, maybe a notch below Mercer, but seems capable of filling much of the void left by Jasper’s departure.

Personal Goals you met and failed this off-season?
Goals met: plug the Mercer hole (did so with Barry); add a top-of-the-rotation pitcher (did so with Clark Snow, who looks good so far in Spring Training); upgrade third base (did so with the accidental signing of Eric Jacobs, who’s better offensively than Bob Swift and way better defensively.

Goals unmet: nab a difference-maker for the bullpen. Manuel Hernandez should be a decent addition, but he’s not a difference-maker. It’s possible Keller can be that for us, but who knows? Made bids for some relief arms, but didn’t get it done.

I’m concerned, too, about our lack of draft choices. The minor league system is a vast wasteland at this point, and it looks like 2030 will be the earliest we can look to start restocking with prospects. Need to stop trading draft choices!

Other than your team, who or what other team are you watching this season?
West Virginia, for one. I think Greg has put together a roster that’s likely to mow through the IL like he’s a Toro riding mower and the rest of us are straggly blades of crab grass.

Duluth for another. Drew’s made a number of canny moves, and I think his team might end up being sneaky good.

Who (team or player) will burst onto the scene this season?
Luis Bonilla of San Juan. I think he’ll be a difference-maker for the Coqui, and as Mike wrote in his awesome profile, he has home run power that can activate dormant volcanoes.

Bonus prediction:
West Virginia challenges Aurora’s all-time victory total of 125, set in 2009.
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#15 Post by Sandgnats »

I'm rooting for Yogi!
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats