Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2028, Season 22

Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2028, Season 22

#121 Post by Arroyos »

I just offered 10 mil to sign all my draftees but one, who insists that he wants to attend college. What a waste. He'll probably end up majoring in English and writing bad song parodies instead of pitching!
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

#122 Post by Fishermen »

I know my first pick is really my second pick (because I didn’t have a first round pick) but I was really surprised to see him ask for just $370,000. I popped round straight away with the cash in a carrier bag before he realised he’d left a ‘0’ off the ransom demand
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#123 Post by Arroyos »

Harpoon wrote:I know my first pick is really my second pick (because I didn’t have a first round pick) but I was really surprised to see him ask for just $370,000. I popped round straight away with the cash in a carrier bag before he realised he’d left a ‘0’ off the ransom demand
Smooth move, Nig!
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#124 Post by Zephyrs »

I think I have wasted more money on draft picks than free agents. The asking prices are way too high. Millions of dollars on players who never get to the PEBA.

corrected typo
Last edited by Zephyrs on Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

#125 Post by Fishermen »

That’s why I’m so chuffed to get all four payment picks for a touch over $900,000. Never seen that before, always had one or two ask for a few million. The only one that wanted $2 million or more was my 15th round pick who I hung up the phone on without even replying
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#126 Post by Borealis »

The draft was an interesting animal this season. We were pleased with our two Supp picks that were #33 & #34. With those picks we were able to snag the top name on our draft board - RF Stewart Arundale (who I might have to nickname 'Trundle' because auto-correct keeps changing his name to that), with the second of those two picks, and with our first pick we took Armando Batista, who was #6 on our list.

As Ray pointed out in his blog, the similarities between Arundale and Ferringo are amazing. I can only hope he moves upward as quickly and as successfully as Pedro did!

But... IDK, this was a weird year, and as I began to actually look at the analysis I received from my trusty DB, there sure were a lot of inexperienced and statistically crummy players this year who ended up with higher ratings than in the past. Perhaps it's time to re-evaluate my system.
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#127 Post by Coqui »

Borealis wrote:The draft was an interesting animal this season. We were pleased with our two Supp picks that were #33 & #34. With those picks we were able to snag the top name on our draft board - RF Stewart Arundale (who I might have to nickname 'Trundle' because auto-correct keeps changing his name to that), with the second of those two picks, and with our first pick we took Armando Batista, who was #6 on our list.

As Ray pointed out in his blog, the similarities between Arundale and Ferringo are amazing. I can only hope he moves upward as quickly and as successfully as Pedro did!

But... IDK, this was a weird year, and as I began to actually look at the analysis I received from my trusty DB, there sure were a lot of inexperienced and statistically crummy players this year who ended up with higher ratings than in the past. Perhaps it's time to re-evaluate my system.
I had Arundale #1 on my list. . . we must use similar ranking strategies because I recall from the chat that you liked my first pick (2nd rounder Freddy Hernandez) and I had Batista high, too.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
MikeB
Triple-A
Triple-A

#128 Post by MikeB »

Tatsui Kouno down for four months. That likely ends my free agency foray for a while. I was hoping to shop him to salvage my budget. Instead basically paid him $39m to go 15-13 for two season. FA pitchers getting hurt has been a norm for me.

Will be shopping Domingo Rodriguez although he didn't help his case to go elsewhere in his first start back from elbow trouble.
Mike Best
San Juan Coqui
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#129 Post by Zephyrs »

Dominic Maye is thoroughly frustrating. The guy never had a negative WAR season until he signs with Reno. I didn't need him to light the world on fire with his bat but a 2 WAR season seemed extremely likely when I signed him. Now I think about cutting him every week.
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#130 Post by Lions »

Congrats to Duluth's Don Mercer, who joined the 300 HR club this past sim! That makes him the 18th player in PEBA history to reach that total. As he's just 33 years old, he has a legitimate shot at 400 career home runs, but getting there would be a huge feat. Only 3 players have reached that milestone. Tsumemasa Morimoto is, of course, well known as the only player in the 600 HR club, and hit his 300th at age 26. Rob Raines is the only other player in the 500 HR club. He was 33, just like Mercer, when he joined the 300 club. The third member of the 400 HR club is Narahiko Imada, who is someone that rarely gets remembered, and was 30 when he hit #300. Luis Torres was just 28 when he hit his 300th, but he had injury issues.

As for the 300 home run club as a group, it's largely 1B/DH types, with a smattering of corner outfielders and a few exceptions. Pepe Espinosa is the only catcher in the group, although Yuma's Danny Burke is set to join him later this year. Burke is the same age as Mercer and needs just 4 more HR's, but is slowing down a bit. He's really struggling with his average this year. but he should make it.

Mike Britt is the only third baseman in the club. He's about to pass Ken Keddy for 12th on the career home run list. Keddy is one of two shortstops, the other being Ronald Lowry. Both spent a season or two at 3B and/or 2B, but they really were mostly shortstops. Britt has a decent chance at 400 if he can keep his average up over the next few seasons. He's the same age as Mercer and Burke. Keddy, while still active, is toiling away in AAA and unlikely to add to his total.

After Burke, the player who's most likely to next join the 300 HR club is another Duluth masher who's now with Shin Seiki, Andres Hernandez. He's at 283 and could get there before the end of the year.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#131 Post by Borealis »

That's crazy stuff - to have that many 300 homer guys in just 22 seasons! 'Big Whiskey' realistically would reach 400 at the end of 2030 - when his current contract expires, at age 36... it would be cool to reach 500, but he'd have to average 25, and maintain productivity to still be playing at 40...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#132 Post by Alleghenies »

Badgers wrote:Congrats to Duluth's Don Mercer, who joined the 300 HR club this past sim! That makes him the 18th player in PEBA history to reach that total. As he's just 33 years old, he has a legitimate shot at 400 career home runs, but getting there would be a huge feat. Only 3 players have reached that milestone. Tsumemasa Morimoto is, of course, well known as the only player in the 600 HR club, and hit his 300th at age 26. Rob Raines is the only other player in the 500 HR club. He was 33, just like Mercer, when he joined the 300 club. The third member of the 400 HR club is Narahiko Imada, who is someone that rarely gets remembered, and was 30 when he hit #300. Luis Torres was just 28 when he hit his 300th, but he had injury issues.

I want to add that most of Mercer HR were with my team (not taking credit) and if you look at my park dimensions, it does not do any favors to HR hitters.. He should probably have hit 300 maybe 2 seasons ago... Sorry Don!!!
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#133 Post by Arroyos »

Zephyrs wrote:Dominic Maye is thoroughly frustrating. The guy never had a negative WAR season until he signs with Reno. I didn't need him to light the world on fire with his bat but a 2 WAR season seemed extremely likely when I signed him. Now I think about cutting him every week.
Scott, I doubt it's Reno's water that's impinging on your players' productivity, but maybe the seductive lure of Reno's nightlife or the insidious effects of all that blinking neon on a hitter's eyes or just all the hookers plying their trade on Virginia Street that turn a big WAR hitter into a little out-maker.
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Bureaucrats
Double-A
Double-A

#134 Post by Bureaucrats »

I think the draft went well for me, personally. I got the 2 pitchers I most wanted and a few position players I wanted as well. Shame I couldn't get Arundale, but I have high expectations for Torcall Penrose, our #1 pick. Our #2, Erskine Hill, also can do great things.
Justin Barker
GM Arlington Bureaucrats
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#135 Post by Evas »

I'm pretty happy with how the draft went in SS.

CF Peter Monnington was the #2 position player on my board. Very fortunate to have grabbed him at #21.

P Ronald Turner was another excellent addition at #27. Has the makings of an elite reliever in my scout's eyes.

I didn't have another pick until late in the 3rd round. Wound up going with RF Abraham Gibson there, after somehow bungling things in my draft warroom. I have no idea what happened, but I couldn't find the guys I was looking for on the list, just weird. Oh well. I bit the bullet and wound up giving Gibson the $2M he was demanding. That was probably a mistake.

After that, I got a few guys who have a chance to develop in to role players in C Nolan McMahon, 1B Jack Young, CF Robert Pratt, C Patrick Anderson, and 1B Terumoto Matsuo. Here's hoping the exorbitant amount of money I pour in to my player development amounts to something!
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”