Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2028, Season 22

Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2028, Season 22

#241 Post by Zephyrs »

Mr. Maynor,

The Zephyrs are in the tank. I hate to say so, but it's true. I want out of here. Please do what you can to trade me.

Dominic Maye

Dear Mr. Maye,

It is true that our team has not been very good for almost a decade and it is extremely frustrating to the ownership as well as the entire management staff. We would gladly trade you away for a single used baseball or a single piece of chewing gum. However, we have placed you on unconditional waivers this season and not a single team will take you on FOR FREE. We suggest you spend the off season improving your own ability to hit the ball. Your two seasons with the Zephyrs have been atrocious. If you can manage to make yourself attractive to literally ANY TEAM, we will gladly grant your wish.

Scott Maynor
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#242 Post by Leones »

Very cool perspective Frank. Didn't realize how close it was. We've been running a 6 man rotation all year so Vazquez's opportunities were limited. With Scottish closing the gap, and the playoffs looming we needed to ensure we had the order reset in case we became a wild card team. That meant Vazquez was going to be saved for postseason, where he might have started twice to get that extra shot. That was close! X-I
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#243 Post by Borealis »

That is hilarious Scott!!!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#244 Post by Vic »

Badgers wrote: Ogawa on the other hand... well he's come from completely out of nowhere. He's 28 this year and never won more than 3 games in any PEBA season prior to this one. He was 1-9 last year, getting just 10 starts. His 18 wins this year came with a 4.10 ERA, so not exactly dominant... that was good for a 89 ERA+. But to see how wild the win total is this year, well, at the end of April he was 1-3 with a 6.83 ERA and was pulled from the rotation. Incidentally, that 6.83 ERA came after his 5th start in which he shut out the Thoroughbreds for 7 innings and the Claymores would lose 1-0 in the 10th. Despite that start, he was pulled from the rotation for three weeks. His next start on May 23rd was good, but he had another clunker on May 30th. Then he went 16-3 since the start of June. Crazy!

Ogawa was my grand experiment coming out of spring training - he wasn’t particularly good as a reliever, but his ratings were kind of intriguing. After the first few weeks, though, I thought it was pretty much a failure, and I yanked him out of the rotation - until my starters began dropping like flies. At one point, 3 of my 5 starters were on the DL for long stretches.

His PQS scores are pretty breathtaking to see - a couple of 5’s followed by a 0 followed by a 4 followed by a 1. He’s brilliant one day, atrocious the next. I’d get close to yanking him again, but then he’d come through with a brilliant performance, so I just finally decided to ride out the year with him in the rotation.

My main takeaways are that A). Ogawa actually does have some talent, and B). a pitcher’s win total can be wildly misleading. (See also Terry Dumont on my staff).

It was entertaining to watch, though!
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#245 Post by Lions »

Ogawa's going to slot in at #3 on the worst ERA's to win 18 games list. These guys are often more fun to watch then the guys that dominate... it's like, "How'd they pull that off?"
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#246 Post by Borealis »

That's a great list - and look who's near the top, good ol' King George!! I always liked that guy!!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#247 Post by Borealis »

Hey Folks!!

It's that time of year, again - time to get your end of the year votes in!! It has been activated in StatsLab and awaits your selections!!
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#248 Post by Zephyrs »

Borealis wrote:Hey Folks!!

It's that time of year, again - time to get your end of the year votes in!! It has been activated in StatsLab and awaits your selections!!
Mini rant; WTF can't we sort before voting? I mean c'mon, sorting by OPS, OBP, wOBA, WAR seems pretty important, no?
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#249 Post by Borealis »

Zephyrs wrote:

Mini rant; WTF can't we sort before voting? I mean c'mon, sorting by OPS, OBP, wOBA, WAR seems pretty important, no?
:-o
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#250 Post by Vic »

Badgers wrote:Ogawa's going to slot in at #3 on the worst ERA's to win 18 games list. These guys are often more fun to watch then the guys that dominate... it's like, "How'd they pull that off?"

I also have Guthrie on my roster - he's # 2 on the list. Big winners with lousy ERAs must be drawn to bagpipe music.
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#251 Post by Sandgnats »

YAY!!! Too bad Steve Hott is not eligible for any awards this year because none else would win a single award including GM of the year.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#252 Post by Vic »

One more piece of Ogawa trivia: those 18 victories set the all-time Claymores franchise record for wins in a season, eclipsing the former mark of 16, which was set by Teika Miura back in 2009 when the team played in the LRS as the Fushigi Yugi Celestial Warriors.

An insane season by Mr. Ogawa all the way around ...
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#253 Post by Leones »

Congrats to Scottish on the Divisional win! Was really expecting a game 7 decision with 'Old Nick' taking the hill for game 6. The Scots lit him up. Well played and best of luck going forward! :clap:
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#254 Post by Vic »

Thanks, Patrick. Given the Claymores’ performance against Havana during the season, I wouldn’t have been surprised if we’d been swept. Mercer getting hot really made the difference.

I look forward to renewing the Scottish/Leones rivalry in 2029!
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#255 Post by Borealis »

Yes, and congrats to all for Divisionsal winners!! And to Fargo, too, for our-lasting us and out-hitting us in that last game! It was a crazy, close, exciting series! Can the Dino's make their first PEC? Looks like we'll have a pair of new teams in the PEC and a new champ this season.

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”