Winter Meetings & Beyond

Morris Ragland
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Winter Meetings & Beyond

#1 Post by Morris Ragland »

We're currently paused midway through the winter meetings. I wanted to slow the leagues progress to give everybody a chance to get things working and to catch up. This also gives us some more time to negotiate winter meetings trades.

The current league file is up. Our in-game date is 12/18. I'll be taking exports and running the sim again tomorrow, Sunday (11/18) at 4 PM EST. I'll advance the sim one day and post news here in this thread. There will not be a new league file for you to download tomorrow. Monday night, I'll advance the sim again to the conclusion of the winter meetings and a little bit beyond, to 12/23. Monday night's league file will be the last league file to go up before the Rule 5 Draft. This is a very important export where you'll want to get your 40-man roster in order. We will then be back on schedule with the Rule 5 Draft file going out on Saturday (this will be your chance to set your Rule 5 draft lists).

Expect CP tallies to be posted next Saturday or Sunday.

About the website outage: We don't know much about why the website went down this week yet. Dan tells me the hosting service has not been very communicative. He believes that they allowed a certificate to lapse.

Be sure to download the new accountsdata_gms file, link in the announcement center. With that, you should be up and running.
Morris Ragland
Commissioner
Morris Ragland
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Re: Winter Meetings & Beyond

#2 Post by Morris Ragland »

News for Sunday, December 19th:

Palm Springs made three signings. DH Bob Blackwell, 1 yr, $2.9M. Noboru Sakamoto, 1 yr, $1.4M. SS Bob Dunn, 1 yr, $4.6M.

San Juan signed Toshinobu Nakayama, 1 yr, $800k.
Morris Ragland
Commissioner
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Borealis »

So we are at the draft and I notice there are a lot of players on the Rule 5 list that are actually on teams DFA - guys who've recently been acquired and simply not moved onto the active roster. Seeing no roster moves are supposedly allowed at this time - how will this be dealt with? Seems like a problem waiting to happen...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#4 Post by Coqui »

Borealis wrote:So we are at the draft and I notice there are a lot of players on the Rule 5 list that are actually on teams DFA - guys who've recently been acquired and simply not moved onto the active roster. Seeing no roster moves are supposedly allowed at this time - how will this be dealt with? Seems like a problem waiting to happen...
So to me, those guys ought to be ineligible to be drafted so long as there is room on the team's 40-man. How that is done by the commish is a mystery to me. Certainly if anyone signed in the last sim, that guy ought to be ineligible to be drafted as there would have been no way for the owner to put him on the 40-man.

True story: I once had buyer's remorse for a guy that I had signed early in the free agent process and left him unprotected on purpose. He was drafted an - joke was on me - he was a reliever who put up a sub-2.00 ERA. LOL.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Morris Ragland
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#5 Post by Morris Ragland »

Borealis wrote:So we are at the draft and I notice there are a lot of players on the Rule 5 list that are actually on teams DFA - guys who've recently been acquired and simply not moved onto the active roster. Seeing no roster moves are supposedly allowed at this time - how will this be dealt with? Seems like a problem waiting to happen...
So, I paused the sim schedule to see if I could find the problems Mike describes, and I could not. The only free agent signed since the last sim (12/23), was Scott Wiggins, who went to Fargo, and is protected. Are there players that I'm missing here? If so, please name them.
Morris Ragland
Commissioner
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Borealis »

I wasn't specifically talking about FA signees, but for instance Bedell (?? I'm not in front of the game), who was recently part of the SS-Duluth trade, is on DFA because of the trade, shows up on my Rule 5 pool...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Denny »

Borealis wrote:I wasn't specifically talking about FA signees, but for instance Bedell (?? I'm not in front of the game), who was recently part of the SS-Duluth trade, is on DFA because of the trade, shows up on my Rule 5 pool...
Those trades were a couple of sims ago. Leaving aside the issue of old guys showing up in the pool in general, I don't feel too bad about examples like this, as there has been time to move those players off DFA since the trade took place--I certainly moved all of mine.
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
kiersteadmo
Double-A
Double-A

#8 Post by kiersteadmo »

Mine had been moved as well so unsure why they still show up
Mark Kierstead II
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Arroyos »

Where is the Rule 5 Draft taking place? I can't find any mention of it on StasLab. Does that mean we prepare draft lists in-game?
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Borealis »

Bulldozers wrote:Where is the Rule 5 Draft taking place? I can't find any mention of it on StasLab. Does that mean we prepare draft lists in-game?
Hey Bob!! Yes- Rule 5 is always in game...

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”