Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2027, Season 21

Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2027, Season 21

#151 Post by Borealis »

Neat is:
- sweeping the Codgers and allowing just 2-runs in total - as 'Tugboat' continues to shine and make himself an early favorite for the Golden Arm (10-3, 1.66 ERA)...
- Domingo Gutierrez continues to take the catchers position by the throat (.345 - plus the best Fielding %, ZR, 3rd in EFF, and 7th in CS - he doesn't have Castro's pop, but his D is better)...
- Aurora's final draftee signing (and he was an impossible guy who we offered Ask), HS RP Brian Clark. He comes to us hurt, but the 2nd round pick only has another week hurt and might possibly work out as a starter...
- Pedro Ferringo, who led all of PEBA with 196 hits last year, is leading all of PEBA in AVE thus far at .346...

Not So Neat:
- losing 2 of 3 to the Evil Evas (after an early season sweep at our hands) - only a walk-off homer by McIntyre saving the third game...

What's on Tap:
Three games at Washoe and then the All-Star game... Aurora continues July on the road, with road series at Yuma, Crystal Lake, Bakersfield, and Toyama, with only Canton at home...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#152 Post by Zephyrs »

Overall I am fairly pleased with the season. Our .464 win pct if it holds, would be our best since 2020. Pretty disappointed that I can't get a season out of Jude Bowles or Hector Rivera. Both seem to be quite injury prone. I am really encouraged by quite a few of our young players. On the infield, SS Torazo Kodama and 3B John Lawson both have respectable offense (.700 OPS) to go along with some stellar defense. I am very disappointed in Ramon Leach, Dominic Maye and Rowan Stuart. Leach looks like his career is over, Stuart showed such potential and has a negative WAR so far this season and Maye is having his worst season ever after signing with us as a FA. Welcome to Reno where you are sure to post a negative WAR.

On the pitching side, Closer Jesus Lopez looks like a great addition. I like what I see from SP Angel Valdez but he is not exactly earning his high price tag. I am hoping we can improve in the second half.
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Morris Ragland
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#153 Post by Morris Ragland »

Three of 'my' teams currently leading their respective divisions:

Hartford - Closer Marcos Gonzalez maintains his 0.00 ERA, notching two saves and a win in four appearances this past week.

Florida - 1B Mike Gorman came alive last week. Hitting .320 with 5 HR.

Okinawa - Red Hook smash. Currently, only Aurora's Pedro Ferringo stands between Alex Bothwell and a triple crown.
Morris Ragland
Commissioner
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#154 Post by Wind Dancers »

Commish wrote:Three of 'my' teams currently leading their respective divisions:

Hartford - Closer Marcos Gonzalez maintains his 0.00 ERA, notching two saves and a win in four appearances this past week.

Florida - 1B Mike Gorman came alive last week. Hitting .320 with 5 HR.

Okinawa - Red Hook smash. Currently, only Aurora's Pedro Ferringo stands between Alex Bothwell and a triple crown.
It's good seeing Hartford do so well. I would've gladly kept that roster when I swapped over to Toyama if I had the choice. Plenty of quality young talent in Hartford.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Dinosaurs
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#155 Post by Dinosaurs »

Pretty unimpressive 2-4 sim keeps the Dinos trailing in the Great Lakes division, though a 3 game set with Crystal Lake coming up as the last series before the All-Star break (and some much needed rest for a few of my players) is going to be big.

Really impressed with SP Ernesto Molina who is giving Aurora's Randy Smith a run for his money in pitching WAR, trailing Randy's 3.9 WAR by .5 WAR.

Loving the tight race in the Great Lakes right now, 4 teams still in the hunt for the division. Can't quite recall when this division was that close at the All Star break. Usually there's two maybe three teams at most out front ahead of the rest.
Cristian Shofar - GM Fargo Dinosaurs
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#156 Post by Borealis »

Not So Neat is Provost pitching a 4-hit shut-out into the 9th against the Bears, only to see Aurora lose 1-0 on a 10th inning walk-off homer...

Neat is Aurora following that up with 'Tugboat', 'Chief' and Clark Snow all pitching shut-outs against Bakersfield - with Nieves (12 K) and Snow throwing complete games against the Bears...

Not So Neat, John Gray blowing two games in the 10th inning for Aurora... with poor Mike Provost getting the ND in both of those games...

Neat is the final score of the Bears series: 14-1, with Ferringo (2), Britt (16) and Flores (11) all homering at YUM!

Having a nice bounce-back season after an injury shortened first year on The Front Range, CF Tomas Flores is hitting .346 with 11 HR and 26 SB - if not for the injury time this year, he could be leading the SL in average...

Amongst the other High/low lights:
- 'Terror' Diaz goes down for 5 weeks with shoulder inflammation... Tomas Moya will be promoted and shall take over that 5-spot in the rotation...
- Last years top pick, SP Rob Imoff is 3-5, with a 2.74 ERA over 16 starts at Gatineau, which is going to earn him a trip to AAA Thornton... a 0.95 WHIP and .228 BABIP looking impressive despite the 10 HR allowed...
- Speaking of top draft picks, this years top dog, SP Miguel Torres is 2-2 with a 2.45 ERA, 51 K in 40 IP... C Yato Shirane, also a 1st rounder, is hitting .306, with 4 HR...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#157 Post by Evas »

I just have to say, I love it when PEBA paces matches the current MLB season pace.

It's July 26th in both.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#158 Post by Denny »

Evas wrote:I just have to say, I love it when PEBA paces matches the current MLB season pace.

It's July 26th in both.
I love it too! :clap:

I can also tell you that it has happened at least once before...and in an even more compelling way!

*puts on old-timer's cap* :-[

A lot of folks nowadays don't realize it, but when PEBA first began in 2007, its in-game date was BEHIND real life--not by a lot, but by a bit. There also were more technical delays back then, while we all were sort of figuring out how everything worked, so PEBA time didn't progress all that quickly. That entire first season was played "in the past", as it were. :geek:
But time passed more quickly the following year; and sometime in June or July of 2008, the PEBA date and real life date were the exact same month, date....and year! :occasion-balloons: I don't know the exact date, unfortunately; I just wasted a fair amount of time searching through the forums trying to pin it down, but couldn't find anything. Still, pretty fascinating, no? Yessir, June or July something, 2008. What a day.

And that reminds me of an even MORE exciting story from the olden days. One time, John was--oop, wait, gotta go....time for Matlock!
:bunny:
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#159 Post by John »

Codgers wrote:And that reminds me of an even MORE exciting story from the olden days. One time, John was--oop, wait, gotta go....time for Matlock!
:bunny:
Don't you dare finish that story, Denny. I'm watching you.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#160 Post by Wind Dancers »

Well, that's a first...

27 Year-old 2B Skip Jordan is undergoing elective eye surgery (mid-season might I add) and will miss 7 weeks.

"Skip Jordan has elected to undergo an experimental - and potentially dangerous - eye surgery to correct his failing vision. The procedure, which will be performed by world-renowned Korean ophthalmologist Seung-soo Kim, has yet to be performed on a human being. Dr Kim is quoted as saying, "We've performed the surgery - successfully might I add - on rats, several pigs, and, most recently, a rhesus monkey"

The story goes on to say LASIK doesn't work on Jordan due to pronounced astigmatism.

Here's hoping for a better eye rating and not the end of a young career.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#161 Post by Sandgnats »

Wind Dancers wrote:Well, that's a first...

27 Year-old 2B Skip Jordan is undergoing elective eye surgery (mid-season might I add) and will miss 7 weeks.

"Skip Jordan has elected to undergo an experimental - and potentially dangerous - eye surgery to correct his failing vision. The procedure, which will be performed by world-renowned Korean ophthalmologist Seung-soo Kim, has yet to be performed on a human being. Dr Kim is quoted as saying, "We've performed the surgery - successfully might I add - on rats, several pigs, and, most recently, a rhesus monkey"

The story goes on to say LASIK doesn't work on Jordan due to pronounced astigmatism.

sheesh what a shame.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#162 Post by Leones »

If only that rhesus monkey could fix his slider...
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#163 Post by Alleghenies »

Wind Dancers wrote:Well, that's a first...

Wishing Skip a speedy recovery. He is an ex-player of mine. Maybe he will have the best vision ever after...
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#164 Post by Borealis »

'Massacre'... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#165 Post by Sandgnats »

Borealis wrote:'Massacre'... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
What a terrible way go out...
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats