Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2027, Season 21

Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2027, Season 21

#121 Post by Borealis »

Alleghenies wrote:Not that anyone cares, but if we go to a forum draft, WV GM will be leaving.
I'm curious as to why you would feel this way, Greg...
Wind Dancers wrote:... Forum drafts are an absolute nightmare, especially in a league like this where GM's may not be online that much, even if it's only for a few rounds. I'm talking 1 round lasting a week, waiting for 1 person to pick all day, scout ratings changing mid draft because it's taking so long etc.
My other league does a forum draft, supplemented by a program similar to StatsLab, and it doesn't take that long - albeit the leagues are smaller. But, if we began when the draft pool is revealed, we could easily manually do the draft via forums - complete with making your selection in StatsLab so that the list there is constantly updated. We wouldn't miss a beat, season-wise; It's not as if we'd have to sit around for two weeks trying to complete a draft with no games going on in the background...

All that said, I do like (and prefer) the live draft - it's just too bad more folks don't show up...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#122 Post by Wind Dancers »

Borealis wrote:
Alleghenies wrote:Not that anyone cares, but if we go to a forum draft, WV GM will be leaving.
Wind Dancers wrote:... Forum drafts are an absolute nightmare, especially in a league like this where GM's may not be online that much, even if it's only for a few rounds. I'm talking 1 round lasting a week, waiting for 1 person to pick all day, scout ratings changing mid draft because it's taking so long etc.
My other league does a forum draft, supplemented by a program similar to StatsLab, and it doesn't take that long - albeit the leagues are smaller. But, if we began when the draft pool is revealed, we could easily manually do the draft via forums - complete with making your selection in StatsLab so that the list there is constantly updated. We wouldn't miss a beat, season-wise; It's not as if we'd have to sit around for two weeks trying to complete a draft with no games going on in the background...

All that said, I do like (and prefer) the live draft - it's just too bad more folks don't show up...
I should have clarified that forum drafts CAN be a nightmare, apologies. I think in smaller leagues where everyone is fairly active they can be done, but things tend to be pretty quiet around here so I think it would take longer.

I agree that it would nice to have some more people at least pop in and say hello during live events. I really want to get some more GMs in so Morris isn't stuck auto picking for 8 teams. I can post something new on the forums so we have control of it, but I definitely don't have the PEBA knowledge to make the historically deep recruitment posts that Reg used to do. And the process of getting new recruits into the league/game hasn't gone great recently with Dan having the only real control over the website, Statslab falling behind, and Morris not having much free time for league stuff (not his fault).
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#123 Post by Duane »

Commish wrote:A new league file is up on the server and is ready to be downloaded. The date is June 21, 2027.

Sim Notes:

DFA Violations: none :clap:
Roster Violations: Kentucky, too many men on SS-A, Alfonso DFA'd; Neo-Tokyo, too many men on SS-A, Weeks and Robinson DFA'd; San Juan, too man men on SS-A, Romero DFA'd; West Virginia, Hirata too old for SS-A, DFA'd.
DL Violations: Neo-Tokyo, Grier; Palm Springs, Wells, Han; San Juan, Spencer.
I don't understand how KyT has too many on roster. I am looking at my export and there are 35 on SS-A

(screenshot sent to PEBA.commisioners.office)
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#124 Post by Wind Dancers »

Hmm. It says there is no new file to download for me.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#125 Post by Wind Dancers »

Thoroughbreds wrote:
Commish wrote:A new league file is up on the server and is ready to be downloaded. The date is June 21, 2027.

Sim Notes:

DFA Violations: none :clap:
Roster Violations: Kentucky, too many men on SS-A, Alfonso DFA'd; Neo-Tokyo, too many men on SS-A, Weeks and Robinson DFA'd; San Juan, too man men on SS-A, Romero DFA'd; West Virginia, Hirata too old for SS-A, DFA'd.
DL Violations: Neo-Tokyo, Grier; Palm Springs, Wells, Han; San Juan, Spencer.
I don't understand how KyT has too many on roster. I am looking at my export and there are 35 on SS-A

(screenshot sent to PEBA.commisioners.office)
Maybe had a draft pick sign this sim and get placed on that roster, taking you over the limit?
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#126 Post by Borealis »

Wind Dancers wrote: Maybe had a draft pick sign this sim and get placed on that roster, taking you over the limit?
But don't those guys go into DFA after agreeing to a bonus?

I had an issue last sim, again over roster sizes, when I know everything was ok, so maybe I'm wrong?
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#127 Post by Arroyos »

Wind Dancers wrote:Hmm. It says there is no new file to download for me.
That's the message I just got too. Is something missing?
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#128 Post by Borealis »

Bulldozers wrote:
Wind Dancers wrote:Hmm. It says there is no new file to download for me.
That's the message I just got too. Is something missing?
That makes three of us... 8-o
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#129 Post by Wind Dancers »

The file on Statslab isn't updated yet, so maybe the upload didn't go through like Morris thought it did.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#130 Post by Alleghenies »

Borealis wrote:
Because they are nightmares. I like the draft done in a 24/48 period and ZERO chance of that ever happening with Forum draft.

Also I can't download new file like others.

Also the guy of mine that got DFA'd this sim from SS-A for being too old, well he was just drafted and just turned 24. Maybe we should examine an exception to the age, like if he has never played in the minors before.
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Dinosaurs
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#131 Post by Dinosaurs »

Alleghenies wrote:
Borealis wrote:
Because they are nightmares. I like the draft done in a 24/48 period and ZERO chance of that ever happening with Forum draft.

Also I can't download new file like others.

Also the guy of mine that got DFA'd this sim from SS-A for being too old, well he was just drafted and just turned 24. Maybe we should examine an exception to the age, like if he has never played in the minors before.
I'm tending towards your side that a forum draft could be a disaster or at least not end up being drawn out far too long.

Regarding 24 year olds in SS-A. I'm against any exception. They should be placed in A. Now if the issue is that you got dinged for a player that was placed in SS-A without your control then I'd agree on that shouldn't count against you (though the player should still be forced up to A.

And yeah, like others I can't get the download in game. Was going to try the download link, but I think someone else said that didn't work either.
Cristian Shofar - GM Fargo Dinosaurs
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#132 Post by Borealis »

Hmmmmm... A couple of folks have mentioned that forum drafts are nightmares - not my experience, but I wonder why peeps feel that way? What are your experiences?

Just my trying to understand the problem in an attempt to help move us in a positive, helpful direction...

Here's the problem with Hirata - and it's a unique one: he turned 24 - aged out of Short A, on Opening Day!! - Who saw THAT coming?, thus he would not have qualified even if he were last years draftee - he simply wasn't the right age on the day the season started. It's a bummer, and the end result of this sudden plethora of 5-year college players - however that even got started. At least he was a 13th rounder and doesn't look like he'd stick around long anyway. Also, at least, DFAing him is better than releasing him (although WV DFA looks awfully daunting based on last weeks sim) - you can always reassign him to Rosarito. In four seasons, if he's still around, he'll forget this ever happened...

Unfortunately, I don't think the software allows us to parse the age rule by allowing current draftees to stay at a level they are too old for. I think addressing the 5-year college player is a bigger fish we need fried.
Dinosaurs
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#133 Post by Dinosaurs »

Borealis wrote:Hmmmmm... A couple of folks have mentioned that forum drafts are nightmares - not my experience, but I wonder why peeps feel that way? What are your experiences?

Just my trying to understand the problem in an attempt to help move us in a positive, helpful direction...

Here's the problem with Hirata - and it's a unique one: he turned 24 - aged out of Short A, on Opening Day!! - Who saw THAT coming?, thus he would not have qualified even if he were last years draftee - he simply wasn't the right age on the day the season started. It's a bummer, and the end result of this sudden plethora of 5-year college players - however that even got started. At least he was a 13th rounder and doesn't look like he'd stick around long anyway. Also, at least, DFAing him is better than releasing him (although WV DFA looks awfully daunting based on last weeks sim) - you can always reassign him to Rosarito. In four seasons, if he's still around, he'll forget this ever happened...

Unfortunately, I don't think the software allows us to parse the age rule by allowing current draftees to stay at a level they are too old for. I think addressing the 5-year college player is a bigger fish we need fried.
I wouldn't partake in a forum draft if that is the way we go, I haven't had an experience with it, but was just not into the idea all that much as I prefer the short and more intense drafting on a weekend for the live draft.
Cristian Shofar - GM Fargo Dinosaurs
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#134 Post by Leones »

I'm also not able to get the latest league file. Get the no new file is available message.
Last edited by Leones on Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

kiersteadmo
Double-A
Double-A

#135 Post by kiersteadmo »

I noticed the last sim I had a huge amount of players in my minors that just showed up, I was at the limit on all my rosters and 45 were in my A roster and others were above the limit.
Mark Kierstead II

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”