Morris Ragland
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Rules Changes for 2027

#1 Post by Morris Ragland »

Summary of Offseason Changes

Contract Rules

Article V Player Contracts

Section 1. [1] Contracts are governed by the Common Sense Accord. Any contracts that, in the Board's view, unreasonably exploit a flaw in the game AI will be subject to restructuring or voiding. GMs are encouraged to contact the Board for guidance before making a contract offer when in doubt.

[2] GMs with offending contract extensions will be offered a restructured contract to bring them into compliance with league rules. $500,000 will be added to the fist year of the player's extension. Alternatively, the GM can opt to void the contract extension, however, their next offer to the player cannot exceed 1 year in length.

[3] Contracts to free agents will not be restructured. In the event that a contract with a free agent player is voided, the GM who offered the voided contract will not be allowed to make any additional offers to that player for 1 month in-game.

[4] Maximum contract length is six years (including option years), with one exception detailed below.

[5] Extensions to players with fewer than six years of ML service time cannot exceed two years in length.

[6] Vesting, Player, and Team Options are allowed in multi-year contracts subject to the following provisos:
Team options must include a buyout fee of at least $2,000,000. Vesting options must be realistic. You cannot ask for more than PITCHERS 30 games started, 180 IP (starters) , 20 games finished (Relievers). BATTERS 450 AB, 120 games played.

[7] No-trade clauses will not be allowed.

[8] The international free agent signing period is in July of each year, and PEBA teams are allowed to bid on international free agents.

Other In-Game Settings

ML active rosters to be expanded to 26 players.

Injury frequency set to 'Low'

Items not Changing, Yet

League Structure: All 26 teams will remain in the PEBA for the upcoming season.

Scouting Ratings System: There was considerable discussion about the current ratings system here, back when the switch was first made. I did a deep dive on this issue then, and I'd like to return to it again when we change Ootp versions next offseason, to see if the next version has a significant effect.
Morris Ragland
Commissioner
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Re: Rules Changes for 2027

#2 Post by Wind Dancers »

:clap:

I like these changes especially the 26 man roster. It solved my OF selection dilemma just like that.

Any idea what we will be doing about the website, reports/Statslab, and recruiting?
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
kiersteadmo
Double-A
Double-A

#3 Post by kiersteadmo »

I like the rules changes, How do we manage #8 and sign free agents fro other leagues?
Mark Kierstead II
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Evas »

Warriors wrote:I like the rules changes, How do we manage #8 and sign free agents fro other leagues?
This is referring to the international prospects that can be signed during that period, not developed players in the other AI leagues. Those players just show up in Free Agency like normal when their contracts run out.

Overall, I love all of these changes. I think they simplify everyone's life while still addressing a handful of key issues.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Borealis »

So would I be correct in saying that the contract rules, as we've known them, are essentially as they've been - as they pertain to equal or escalating salaries? We will not be offering front-loaded deals - correct? And what of the 75% contract reduction for long-time vets?
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Morris Ragland
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#6 Post by Morris Ragland »

Borealis wrote:So would I be correct in saying that the contract rules, as we've known them, are essentially as they've been - as they pertain to equal or escalating salaries? We will not be offering front-loaded deals - correct? And what of the 75% contract reduction for long-time vets?
The contract rules are complete as presented. Anything you don't see above will no longer be in force.

I want to reiterate that New Contract Rules do not Take Effect Until the First Free Agency Sim. So any extensions offered until then still need to adhere to current contract rules.
Morris Ragland
Commissioner
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Borealis »

So... For Clarification:

We can offer declining salaries in a contract...

What about the 75% rule for long-time vets? Is that still in play, or can we offer contracts that are less - at any value they will accept?
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Evas »

Borealis wrote:So... For Clarification:

We can offer declining salaries in a contract...

What about the 75% rule for long-time vets? Is that still in play, or can we offer contracts that are less - at any value they will accept?
Once we hit Free Agency - 12-04-2026 in game - declining salaries can be offered at any value they will accept.

Until we hit 12-04-2026, the 75% rule remains intact.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#9 Post by Alleghenies »

Commish wrote:Summary of Offseason Changes

[6] Vesting, Player, and Team Options are allowed in multi-year contracts subject to the following provisos:
Team options must include a buyout fee of at least $2,000,000.
Did we get rid of the 25% of the per/year for bigger contracts? And if we did, you might as well erase the "at least" because I know no one that would pay more than 2 million if they didn't have to. And for the record if we did get rid of the 25% this is a bad thing imo. Way to easy to get one over on OOTP AI.
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#10 Post by Sandgnats »

Alleghenies wrote:

Did we get rid of the 25% of the per/year for bigger contracts? And if we did, you might as well erase the "at least" because I know no one that would pay more than 2 million if they didn't have to. And for the record if we did get rid of the 25% this is a bad thing imo. Way to easy to get one over on OOTP AI.
We did eliminate this rule. Agreed Gregory, but this is what compromised was reached.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#11 Post by Alleghenies »

Sandgnats wrote:
Alleghenies wrote:

We did eliminate this rule. Agreed Gregory, but this is what compromised was reached.
Ok thanks. Very dumb compromise, but it is done.
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Morris Ragland
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#12 Post by Morris Ragland »

Alleghenies wrote:Ok thanks. Very dumb compromise, but it is done.
It is a compromise. Prior to the 25% rule that Nigel put in place, there was no buyout requirement for team option years. I decided on the $2M rule to eliminate the math and make compliance easier. I would ask GMs, if they think someone is exploiting the AI in contract negotiations, to bring this to the attention of the Board. If this rule change proves to be unwise, we can always change it back.
Morris Ragland
Commissioner
Board of the PEBA
League President
League President

#13 Post by Board of the PEBA »

Friendly Reminder!!
I want to remind everyone of the changes that (even I forgot) went into effect last season (at the top of this thread) - particularly regarding contract extensions. We did have one contract extension that was signed this sim that technically did not meet the letter of the law. The Board allowed the contract to stand for meeting the historical 'Spirit' of our rule set - there was no inherit competitive advantage gained by the deal. Things such as length, value, player age, talent and contract history all played into the decision making process. A different set of circumstances may have required a re-work or cancelation of the contract.

So, please review the Constitution upon offering a deal to a player - and if you are uncertain or want to go a little above, contact a Board member for clarification. There's being fair and then there's rules for a reason - whether we agree or not.
Current PEBA Board Members
Mike Topham (Borealis) - Commissioner
RJ Ermola (Sandgnats)
Dylan Krupilis (Wind Dancers)
Reg LeBlanc (Trendsetters)
KenH
Triple-A
Triple-A

#14 Post by KenH »

Hey just a heads up... I was reading the constitution again (fun saturday morning activity, imo) and it looks like the roster rules in Article III haven't been updated yet:
ROSTER MANAGEMENT:

Each sim, every GM will ensure the rosters of all teams of all levels that are in-season meet all requirements listed below:

Major League Roster: 23-25 players, no age limit
AAA: 23-25 players, no age limit
AA: 23-25 players, no age limit
A: 23-25 players, age must be 24 years old or less
Short Season A: 23-35 players, age must be 23 years old or less
There's other mentions to the "25-man roster" in various other locations just below this as well.
Ken Hannahs -- Farstriders GM (2023-2037)
2025, 2033, 2034, 2035 PEBA Champion
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Borealis »

Nice catch Ken!! As I mentioned - we've some cleaning up to do...

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”