GM Participation and Compliance

Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

Re: GM Participation and Compliance

#31 Post by Sandgnats »

Evas wrote:I think the proposal is a huge step in the right direction. Much better more straightforward than the current setup. I love that it lowers the burden on what needs to be watched for.

My thoughts on each rule:

1. Seems good.
2. Not being able to offer a contract again until free agency seems too harsh. What if a team is trying to extend a very young player? I think no negotiations for the rest of the season would be fairer and easier to govern. I don't think anyone wants to track that sort of thing over multiple seasons...
3. Perfect.
4. No problem.
5. Do we really not want to be able to negotiate multi year deals that covers pre-arbitration and arbitration years? My understanding of the general feeling of the group was that no more than 1 year of Free Agency could be covered by a contract with a player who had never before reached free agency.
6. I like the vesting rules. But not the Team Option buyout rule. I thought we were counting on AI being able to negotiate? What's the need for this?
7. No problem.
Unfortunately the AI is terrible in negotiating buyouts. You could offer a 50M with a zero buyout and the AI would jump at it.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
kiersteadmo
Double-A
Double-A

Re: GM Participation and Compliance

#32 Post by kiersteadmo »

With number 5,

l tend to only offer these out rarely, Barry Wallace over 6 years would have cost the team 100+ mil, with below average guys asking 12-15mil now per season l wanted to lock him in long term and cost effective. l offered 5+mil a yea, 8years, player option and two team options, by the end of his contract he will be in his prime and cost me or any other team a ballpark of 15-20 mil a year.

l know one gm asked me about it and to me it made sense to lock him down.
Mark Kierstead II

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”