Techinical Difficulties

Morris Ragland
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Techinical Difficulties

#1 Post by Morris Ragland »

This is to my mind, the area of greatest concern.

Dan (Arlington) has been taking care of some of the technical aspects of keeping the league going for quite a while, but he hasn't had the time to devote to the task that me might have a couple years ago. And the web site needs a lot of attention.

I'm in the dark regarding a lot this. I don't have sufficient access to phpBB yo update that platform software. I don't have sufficient access to set up new GMs up in WordPress. I have no idea who the web host is, how they're getting paid, or how to contact them, and I have no idea what their responsibilities are with respect to the league, or whomever it is that they have a contract with.

So not only are we in need of somebody with time and expertise to deal with the technical challenges facing the league, but we need to put all the keys to the kingdom on one ring, so we can have an orderly hand-off of that responsibility in the future.
Morris Ragland
Commissioner
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Techinical Difficulties

#2 Post by Borealis »

Unfortunately, like you Morris, this is where my line of expertise ends. I've no clue about these things, much less even know what php stands for. I'd assume that the same may be true for some of the older members of this group... Hopefully the 'young bloods' are capable of tackling this!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#3 Post by Wind Dancers »

The website is hosted by myhosting.com under Dan so I'm assuming either he is paying for it, or something is giving him to money to pay for it, but everything goes through him. The host isn't my favorite to work with, especially when you run into problems, but it's fine.

If you want to get everything in 1 place then Dan is the person to go to it appears as he also runs the WordPress end of it. Even if he doesn't want to completely hand over full control of it, it should be sufficient to hand over access to someone else who can update it more often. As for the missing pages on the site, I can't be 100% without seeing things server side. Back when the site when down, either non-essential pages were removed from the server or we need to fix the link/redirect to wherever they should be.

This is my specialty and I'd be glad to work with Dan on getting everything up and running if we can make contact with him.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Duane »

hmmm I thought Dan had his own server and created the phpBB that we use.
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#5 Post by Wind Dancers »

He may have a VPS, all I know is that this domain is listed under https://myhosting.com/, I'm not sure how he has everything set-up.

Dan hasn't been on since early February so if anyone has his email it would probably make sense to contact him through there.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#6 Post by Sandgnats »

All is know is we do have a PayPal link to donate for server costs on the main page. I've assumed Dan was paying since it sends money to his email. Glad Dylan can help. It's important we have backups for all these important tasks to keep everything going incase we lose someone.
Last edited by Sandgnats on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#7 Post by Wind Dancers »

He should still be able to have control of the server as long as can get all of the missing website stuff back up on it. Then he would need to bump me (or whoever takes over the WP changes) to admin on WordPress. May also help for Morris to have admin as well to add new users when needed.

The same would be the case for the forum, someone would need to be bumped up to admin.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Denny »

I agree it makes sense to have at least a couple more people with administrative privileges for the website and BB. Right now we would be really sunk if Dan left, and it's also unfair (IMO) to put that much extra burden on him anyway.
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”