League Administration and Governance

Morris Ragland
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

League Administration and Governance

#1 Post by Morris Ragland »

This is probably the area where the challenges are most easily addressed.

The commissioner and the board have responsibility for running the sims, updating the html reports, updating statslab, administering the live events (draft and winter meetings), and enforcing league rules.

What this requires is time. Regular season sims take from 30 min. to 1.5 hours, depending on how many trades need to be processed and rules violations have to be addressed. Updating the html reports takes about half an hour. Updating statslab takes 50 min. to 1.5 hours.

It's been difficult to budget the time to complete all three tasks, twice a week, on schedule, and as many have noticed, there's been a lot of lag in updates of the html reports and statslab as a result.

My proposed fix is to delegate the html and statslab updates to a couple of league members. Breaking the simming and updating duties up like this into more manageable blocs will help us keep up with the league schedule and keep things running smoothly. These updates are not technically challenging (if I can do it, anybody can), so I'm confident that anybody who can run a team could potentially take on the responsibility for the html or statslab updates, if they have the time.

The learning experience that was the 2026 amateur draft aside, I think we're running the live events reasonably well.

A lot of rules enforcement, goes on during sim running. It's far and away my least favorite part of the job. But I am curious what the GMs think of it. There's more to be said about contract rules enforcement, but I am saving that for later.

What do you think?
Morris Ragland
Commissioner
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Re: League Administration and Governance

#2 Post by Wind Dancers »

Splitting the work makes the most sense to me. Having the sim runner sim and the other (s) update HTML/Statslab once the sim is finished should be fairly simple.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Borealis »

I’m not sure what is necessary to do the Stats Lab update, but I’d certainly be willing to listen and potentially assist with that chore...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
kiersteadmo
Double-A
Double-A

#4 Post by kiersteadmo »

I think spitting up responsibilities is a good idea.
Mark Kierstead II
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#5 Post by Wind Dancers »

I'd be willing to help out with anything HTML/Web related. Web Dev and hosting is half of my job and I can't imagine it's too difficult to update the website once everything is back on the server.

Though, I'd imagine this will play into the technical discussion coming in a few days so It may be more appropriate to discuss it then.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#6 Post by Sandgnats »

It would be good to have a primary person to complete these tasks and then an assigned backup incase someone is away or Internet access goes down.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Underground
Double-A
Double-A

#7 Post by Underground »

I hate commenting as only just back but just wondering if the contract rules could be streamlined as they do seem quite complicated and wondering if this adds to the workload unnecessarily?

For instance in my other league we allow no extensions until last year of arbitration and a maximum 6 year extension for any other contract. Seems to work simply enough but appreciate that this league has had the rules for a while.
Evan Seary
London Underground
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Duane »

As a board member without a role, I think I would be able to manage updating statslab and HTML stuff. I am guessing that this would entail Morris running the sim and putting out the new file, I would import the file then upload the new stuff for statslab etc. Am I correct Morris???
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Borealis »

I don't think the contract rules are so much the issue as is taking the simple step of understanding them. They were designed to reflect reality - and after all, part of our Mission Philosophy is to reflect reality.

Are there places where things could be simplified? Probably, but I think we could also look at how bad contracts are dealt with as well. I've never had to deal with that end, so I'm not to clear on that process.

At the end of the day, it's about having fun and being true to our Leagues founding Philosophy. The PEBA ain't broke, we're just in another little bubble we seem to find ourselves in periodically of late. Sure, we have empty teams, but we are not alone - the other league I'm in - which has a large number of teams, has like a dozen or more vacancy's - and their contract rules are simple.

Maybe if OOTP would stop trying to make the game an arcade game...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#10 Post by Wind Dancers »

I feel like our contracts rules are very good at preventing people from finding loopholes for contracts. Like signing a 22 year old who is clearly going to be something special to a cheap long term contract despite the fact he will be worth much more down the line.

My favorite league rule is the rule stating to try to be as realistic as possible, which really adds to the “real” feel of this league.

I would recommend maybe bookmarking the contracts post in the Q&A section and referring to it whenever signing a contract. Once you understand it, you will get used to it.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Evas »

I like having contract rules that guide behavior, but I think we have some that could be trimmed back.

The no declining salary one bugs me. Older players propose those sorts of contracts all the time.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Borealis »

Evas wrote:I like having contract rules that guide behavior, but I think we have some that could be trimmed back.

The no declining salary one bugs me. Older players propose those sorts of contracts all the time.
I do agree with this - and it would also help the 'poorer' teams - ok, all teams, but the richer teams can afford continued escalating salary better than poor teams.

We could pick an age and say if they are 35 by... start of season of defined salary, end of season... IDK, but I do think it's worth discussing.
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star

#13 Post by Sandgnats »

Borealis wrote:
Evas wrote:I like having contract rules that guide behavior, but I think we have some that could be trimmed back.

I do agree with this - and it would also help the 'poorer' teams - ok, all teams, but the richer teams can afford continued escalating salary better than poor teams.

We could pick an age and say if they are 35 by... start of season of defined salary, end of season... IDK, but I do think it's worth discussing.
Well since this box has been opened... I am generally in agreement about the above and possibly changing these rules, but since we do have these rules - they are the rules. Unfortunately, we have quite a numbers of teams and contracts that were signed, this season especially, that have not followed the rules in regards to player bonuses and salary structure over free agency rules. It's been quite unfair to the majority of teams that have been following the rules.
RJ Ermola
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Borealis »

Sandgnats wrote:Well since this box has been opened... I am generally in agreement about the above and possibly changing these rules, but since we do have these rules - they are the rules. Unfortunately, we have quite a numbers of teams and contracts that were signed, this season especially, that have not followed the rules in regards to player bonuses and salary structure over free agency rules. It's been quite unfair to the majority of teams that have been following the rules.
How many are we talking about? What kind of infractions are accumulating? Maybe we could develop a 'Rules Committee' whose job is to examine these bad contracts and decide what to do with them - cancel the deal or alter it in a direction that is acceptable - seeing the Commish can alter deals under the hood. If they are simply bonus infractions - they can be changed easily. If they are larger ones, we can discuss them. I'd be willing to serve in that capacity.

I'm going to take a look at the contract rules and put together a synopsis of things as they are, and perhaps throw out some ideas where things could shift and yet remain true to PEBA.
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star

#15 Post by Sandgnats »

Borealis wrote:
Sandgnats wrote:Well since this box has been opened... I am generally in agreement about the above and possibly changing these rules, but since we do have these rules - they are the rules. Unfortunately, we have quite a numbers of teams and contracts that were signed, this season especially, that have not followed the rules in regards to player bonuses and salary structure over free agency rules. It's been quite unfair to the majority of teams that have been following the rules.
How many are we talking about? What kind of infractions are accumulating? Maybe we could develop a 'Rules Committee' whose job is to examine these bad contracts and decide what to do with them - cancel the deal or alter it in a direction that is acceptable - seeing the Commish can alter deals under the hood. If they are simply bonus infractions - they can be changed easily. If they are larger ones, we can discuss them. I'd be willing to serve in that capacity.

I'm going to take a look at the contract rules and put together a synopsis of things as they are, and perhaps throw out some ideas where things could shift and yet remain true to PEBA.
I've been keeping a list for Morris and I will let him address it since he stated at the top of the thread more on that issue later. I don't want to step on his toes in regards to how he wants to handle it. Totally up to the commissioner. But between last off-season and this off-season there 45 contracts that were not compliant with the rules. (none are yours Mike) Most are minor bonus violations; some 25% buy out violations and a few contract extension violations.

Thanks Mike, I am willing to help too. It seems like to me that the idea of the contract rules was to stop GM's from gaming the system, when the program might make some ridiculous decisions. Also, seems that the spirit of the rules was to also protect player rights.
RJ Ermola
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”