Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2026, Season 20

kiersteadmo
Double-A
Double-A

Re: Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2026, Season 20

#541 Post by kiersteadmo »

So Norris issue can be fixed then as he was just removed from the team when he should have been given 3.8 million, as his offer from me was not withdrawn and it was not optional, it was either he gets what I offer or what the arbitration give him.
Mark Kierstead II
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#542 Post by Borealis »

I would hope so - Unless there is some rule that is the reason it went down like this, I'd think it was a software glitch - that should be an easy commish fix...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#543 Post by Sandgnats »

Borealis wrote:I would hope so - Unless there is some rule that is the reason it went down like this, I'd think it was a software glitch - that should be an easy commish fix...
has to be a glitch... unless he decided "hey I'll make a run at the open market now and demand more"... strange though.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
kiersteadmo
Double-A
Double-A

#544 Post by kiersteadmo »

I thought this arb to free agent was not an option for the player, it is either they get what the team wants or what the player wants and only if you withdraw do they go free agent.
Mark Kierstead II
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#545 Post by Borealis »

Warriors wrote:I thought this arb to free agent was not an option for the player, it is either they get what the team wants or what the player wants and only if you withdraw do they go free agent.
Well, if you look at his history, it states he was not offered anything in Arbitration - which makes sense from a timing perspective: He was offered (I assume) by Duluth, but was traded to Toyama at a time when the sim passed the arbitration date - and thus Toyama didn't offer him a deal, so he became a FA. Not that this was a fault of Lupin - they never got a chance. It certainly would be a reasonable oversight by the simmer, not to punch in an offer. As a matter of fact, I wonder if he was even put on the ML roster... Now that I think about it, if he was placed on DFA for the GM to roster - which I think is what usually happens, right? Then he'd never get that auto-team offer...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
kiersteadmo
Double-A
Double-A

#546 Post by kiersteadmo »

I kept him on the roster and offered him the 3.8mil knowing he was going to get traded, I think when he got traded pre sim it removed the offer and then just dumped him into free agency.
Mark Kierstead II
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#547 Post by Borealis »

Warriors wrote:I kept him on the roster and offered him the 3.8mil knowing he was going to get traded, I think when he got traded pre sim it removed the offer and then just dumped him into free agency.
No... Morris processed the trade, so he was placed in the Toyama system - but if he was on DFA - which I believe is the ML protocol, then he'd never get an offer - be it from Dylan (who never got a chance, obviously) or the 'AI' - because he never made it to the 40-man.

The more I think of it, I bet this is what happened, which suggests a change to the process would be needed to prevent that in the future...
kiersteadmo
Double-A
Double-A

#548 Post by kiersteadmo »

Borealis wrote:
Warriors wrote:I kept him on the roster and offered him the 3.8mil knowing he was going to get traded, I think when he got traded pre sim it removed the offer and then just dumped him into free agency.
No... Morris processed the trade, so he was placed in the Toyama system - but if he was on DFA - which I believe is the ML protocol, then he'd never get an offer - be it from Dylan (who never got a chance, obviously) or the 'AI' - because he never made it to the 40-man.

The more I think of it, I bet this is what happened, which suggests a change to the process would be needed to prevent that in the future...
Yeah, now that makes perfect sense, an easy fix though I woud l think
Mark Kierstead II
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#549 Post by Alleghenies »

I had a player I offered arbitration and he is now a free agent also. :(
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
kiersteadmo
Double-A
Double-A

#550 Post by kiersteadmo »

At 6 years l think they can say no, there are two types of Arb.
Mark Kierstead II
kiersteadmo
Double-A
Double-A

#551 Post by kiersteadmo »

Salary arbitration is a process by which an experienced player who has not yet attained free agency can have his salary determined by an independent arbitrator. This is done so that experienced players who are performing well can receive fair compensation for their efforts, BEFORE they reach free agency.

Generally, players who have at least 3 but not more than 6 years of Major League experience are eligible for arbitration. It's important to understand the concept of "service time" in order to understand when players accumulate the time that puts them into arbitration eligibility. And there are some special exceptions to this rule as well.

In OOTP, if a player seems likely to fall into one of those categories at the end of the season, OOTP labels them as "Arbitration Eligible." That label is not a guarantee, though, as for example sending a major league player to the minors will stop his Major League service time clock from advancing.

During the offseason you have a chance to negotiate with arbitration-eligible players. As /u/ericpalmer4 mentioned, arbitration is basically "you offer one value, the player offers another value, and the arbitrator picks one."

It's actually pretty important to understand this whole process, or you can make some big mistakes that can really hurt your team. You should definitely check out the info from the OOTP manual on salary arbitration: http://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/ind ... ge=help_43

Free agency eligibility is similar, except that it's effectively the "next stage" of the process, when service time exceeds six years. If a player reaches the end of his contract without an extension, if he meets the criteria, he becomes a free agent, and yes, you will lose that player.
Mark Kierstead II
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#552 Post by Coqui »

Warriors wrote:At 6 years l think they can say no, there are two types of Arb.
This is true. To add some game-specific detail to the Warriors' posts, if he was in the top window of arbitration, where you have the choice to offer less money than the estimate, he cannot say no. If he was in the middle window, where it's a yes/no choice to make a qualifying offer, then he can refuse, and you get a supplemental pick if he signs elsewhere in free agency.

I would assume Greg is talking about the former and not the latter though.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#553 Post by Wind Dancers »

That makes sense, Norris was only in his 2nd year of Arb so It was likely just the fact that he wasn't added to the roster that prevented him from getting an arb offer.

As long as I get him on my roster and didn't give away a top prospect and a pick to Duluth for free, I'll be happy.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#554 Post by Wind Dancers »

On another note, the schedule says free agency starts next sim, but with free agents filing wouldn't it start this sim?

Also, there were some interesting international players that joined PEBA this past sim.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
kiersteadmo
Double-A
Double-A

#555 Post by kiersteadmo »

Yes, FA now

l saw a bunch added and a few that were really good
Mark Kierstead II

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”