Wheeling and Dealing, Expectations

Morris Ragland
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Wheeling and Dealing, Expectations

#1 Post by Morris Ragland »

With the offseason heating up and new GMs coming on board, I just wanted to reiterate some of the our rules of the road regarding communication between GMs. This is from the constitution:
Participants are expected to be both competitive with and courteous to their fellow GMs. The PEBA is a league that rewards participation and competitive play. All members are expected to live up to this standard and agree to do their utmost to put forth the best franchise they possibly can. At the same time, members acknowledge that the PEBA is a social experience as well. Members participate to have fun and communicate with like-minded baseball aficionados. When the twin goals of competitiveness and courtesy collide, members should err on the side of courtesy.

Members are expected to respond politely to your fellow GMs’ trade proposals (no matter how unrealistic they may be). This can be as simple as saying, “I am not interested at this time.” Members must respond to trade communications – however briefly – within four days of their receipt. If you have sent a communication to a fellow GM and received no response within this time frame, you may send a complaint to the Board. Members excused from exports are also excused from responding to trade communications.
I don't have much to add to that. 'Courtesy' and 'clarity' should be your watchwords in negotiations. For instance, when negotiating with multiple potential trading partners, I like to let the GMs know that there's a good chance they might get outbid. At the outset, I find it handy to set a date when I close negotiations, so it's mutually understood that offers won't be considered after a certain date or time. 'Dealing with others as you'd like to be dealt with', is always a good rule of thumb. Tone and language should be the same in private communications as it is in public ones.

I welcome any other pointers from GMs regarding negotiation etiquette.
Morris Ragland
Commissioner
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Wheeling and Dealing, Expectations

#2 Post by Borealis »

:clap: :bang: :clap: :bang: :clap: :bang: :clap:

Well said Morris!!

I would reiterate the 'Golden Rule' aspect - nothing threatens a community like rudeness and inconsideration. We are all here for our 'love of the game' and love of our little niche of a world. As we celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Summer of Love here if SF, let's all strive to 'wear some flowers in our hair'!!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

Re: Wheeling and Dealing, Expectations

#3 Post by Sandgnats »

Agreed guys! I have always found everyone to be professional, pleasant and fun to deal with. We should be very proud of our league!
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”