Winter Ball

Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

Winter Ball

#1 Post by Sandgnats »

Can hitting contact be worked on in winter ball? I am looking through the latest post editing the CP rules http://pebabaseball.com/boards/viewtopi ... =17&t=9887 and contact is not included as an option. Or did I just miss it?

Thanks!
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Morris Ragland
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Re: Winter Ball

#2 Post by Morris Ragland »

This is kind of an 'under the hood' topic, but basically, in the player editor, the Contact rating is derived from a combination of other things, so there isn't a way to directly adjust this one.
Morris Ragland
Commissioner
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star

#3 Post by Sandgnats »

Commish wrote:This is kind of an 'under the hood' topic, but basically, in the player editor, the Contact rating is derived from a combination of other things, so there isn't a way to directly adjust this one.
Got it! Are the other things that could be worked on that might or might not effect it?
RJ Ermola
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Morris Ragland
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#4 Post by Morris Ragland »

'Avoid K's' is what you will want to adjust.

From the manual:
Hitters are rated for their Contact ability, but this is one rating that cannot be directly edited. Contact is actually calculated based on two other ratings: BABIP ("batting average on balls in play," which not shown in main game screens), and Avoid K's. So, to adjust your player's Contact rating, you must adjust BABIP and Avoid K's.
Morris Ragland
Commissioner
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Borealis »

Commish wrote:'Avoid K's' is what you will want to adjust.

From the manual:
Hitters are rated for their Contact ability, but this is one rating that cannot be directly edited. Contact is actually calculated based on two other ratings: BABIP ("batting average on balls in play," which not shown in main game screens), and Avoid K's. So, to adjust your player's Contact rating, you must adjust BABIP and Avoid K's.
That is excellent info - of course, from a Winter Ball perspective, that may or may not be something one can tweak - if the player is already at his max potential...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star

#6 Post by Sandgnats »

Borealis wrote:
Commish wrote:'Avoid K's' is what you will want to adjust.

From the manual:
That is excellent info - of course, from a Winter Ball perspective, that may or may not be something one can tweak - if the player is already at his max potential...
Agreed thanks for the advice! I've been reading the manual and felt like I just looked directly into the solar eclipse.
RJ Ermola
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Duane »

Sandgnats wrote:
Agreed thanks for the advice! I've been reading the manual and felt like I just looked directly into the solar eclipse.
87% in CL
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Borealis »

Sandgnats wrote: Agreed thanks for the advice! I've been reading the manual and felt like I just looked directly into the solar eclipse.
Eclipse? There was an eclipse? All I saw was fog this morning... :shake:
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Borealis »

So as I begin to explore options, I'm looking for clarification:

The 'Special Coaching' option counts as one of your two Winter Ball players, correct?

Also, I note that if your minor league squads qualify for the post-season, you get 1 nickname - a) is that per team qualified, b) must that player be on the team that qualified, and c) does an article need to accompany that?

Mucho Gracias...
Morris Ragland
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#10 Post by Morris Ragland »

The 'Special Coaching' option counts as one of your two Winter Ball players, correct?
Yes.
Also, I note that if your minor league squads qualify for the post-season, you get 1 nickname - a) is that per team qualified, b) must that player be on the team that qualified, and c) does an article need to accompany that?
One per team qualified. Player must have spent most of his regular season on the roster of the team that qualified (so he need not have been on the post-season squad). I'd like to at least see a blog entry on that.
Morris Ragland
Commissioner
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star

#11 Post by Sandgnats »

Commish wrote:
Yes.
One per team qualified. Player must have spent most of his regular season on the roster of the team that qualified (so he need not have been on the post-season squad). I'd like to at least see a blog entry on that.
This is sort of contradictory because the qualifications for age and time of service for Winter Ball and Special Coaching are different. It would seem that Winter Ball is not inclusive.
RJ Ermola
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#12 Post by Alleghenies »

Commish wrote:
Yes.
Nice, that means I can get 3 new nicknames, which I plan on doing.. I know how much it would please our old commish John who loves nicknames.
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Morris Ragland
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#13 Post by Morris Ragland »

Sandgnats wrote:
Commish wrote:
Yes.
This is sort of contradictory because the qualifications for age and time of service for Winter Ball and Special Coaching are different. It would seem that Winter Ball is not inclusive.
We tend to use 'Winter Ball' generically for both offseason improvement programs.
Morris Ragland
Commissioner
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star

#14 Post by Sandgnats »

Commish wrote:
We tend to use 'Winter Ball' generically for both offseason improvement programs.[/quote]

Ok thank you.
RJ Ermola
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Ghosts »

Speaking of winter ball... do we have CP listed somewhere as well as a dedicated winter ball thread for submissions?
Dan Vail
Bakersfield Bears 2028-2030
Niihama-shi Ghosts 2010, 2031-current

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”