Should AA be under 30 only?

Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Should AA be under 30 only?

#1 Post by Alleghenies »

I think we need to extend age limits to AA. I don't think anyone 30 should be in AA unless in rehab. I did some research with MLB today here is a list of ALL the players in AA as of July 4th, that are born in 1987 or earlier. There is a list of 25 people (of which 18 are 30+), with 1 in rehab. There is now another old man in AA, but he won't be there long K-ROD. There also was a 42 year old coach that was listed as an emergency catcher. I may have missed 1 or 2 people, but I think this proves 30 year olds are really not in AA.
Also I don't think this a bad problem as our league only has 13 people over 30 in AA, but since we have rules for SA and A, I thought AA should fall in line too.

EAST:
Binghamton
Cory Burns 10-9-87
Mickey Jannis 12-16-87

Portland
Elih Villanueva 7-27-86
Henry Urrutia 2-13-87

Aaltoona
Zane Chavez 12-30-86

Richmond
Nate Reed 12-1-87
Eliezer Zambrano 9-16-86
Eduardo Nunez 6-15-87
Jerry Sands 9-28-87
Myles Schroder 8-1-87

Harrisburg-
Mario Lisson 5-31-84
Yadiel Hernandez 10-9-87
Darian Sandford 4-28-87

SOUTH:
Chattanooga
Jose Gonzalez 6-23-87

Jackson
Josh Thole 10-28-86
Travix Denker 8-5-85

Jacksonville
Clayton Morthensen 4-10-85
Daniel Schlereth 5-9-86

North:
Tulsa:
Colt Hynes 6-28-85
Blake Gailen 3-27-85

Arkansas:
Justin DeFratus 10-21-87

San Antonio
Charles Nading 7-9-87

Frisco
Bobby LaFromboise 6-25-86

Corpus Chrisit
Colin McHugh 6-19-87 (REHAB)

Midland
Tyler Sturdevant 12-20-85
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Dinosaurs
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Re: Should AA be under 30 only?

#2 Post by Dinosaurs »

I'm generally supportive of this, though if it isn't agreeable to everyone, it's not that big of a deal.
Cristian Shofar - GM Fargo Dinosaurs
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Ghosts »

Doesn't make a difference to me but doesn't seem like it's really a problem if only 13 guys over 30 are in AA in our world, since the benchmark against real world shows that's pretty accurate. Ideally, I don't even want anyone over 28 in AA but I took over a completely barren farm this year and had to go on a minor league signing spree just to fill out a respectable roster. I had to check to confirm, if you told me I had 2 30+ guys or all 13 of them, I would have believed you... but looks like I only have 3.
Dan Vail
Bakersfield Bears 2028-2030
Niihama-shi Ghosts 2010, 2031-current
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#4 Post by Alleghenies »

It's not a big deal, but we put restrictions on SA and A for the reasons of being realistic, so I was just pointing out how our AA looks.
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#5 Post by Sandgnats »

I am in agreement as well, but the program might not be able to distinguish between rehab assignment and regular roster spot. Not sure, but just something to consider if that's the case.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#6 Post by Alleghenies »

Sandgnats wrote:I am in agreement as well, but the program might not be able to distinguish between rehab assignment and regular roster spot. Not sure, but just something to consider if that's the case.
I am pretty sure it does. I think any age rehab can play in A and SA.
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Evas »

Alleghenies wrote:It's not a big deal, but we put restrictions on SA and A for the reasons of being realistic, so I was just pointing out how our AA looks.
The biggest reason to have the age restrictions was to avoid hampering the development of younger players by making them go against wildly older players. I think that plan worked out pretty well so far in SA and A.

I wouldn't have a major issue with giving an age 30 limit to AA, I just don't think it would have a major impact on anything. After all, I don't think there is much difference between an age 28 player and an age 30 player.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Borealis »

Evas wrote:
Alleghenies wrote:It's not a big deal, but we put restrictions on SA and A for the reasons of being realistic, so I was just pointing out how our AA looks.
I wouldn't have a major issue with giving an age 30 limit to AA, I just don't think it would have a major impact on anything. After all, I don't think there is much difference between an age 28 player and an age 30 player.
I agree with Kevin on this... I believe the reason we left AA without a limit was so we had the flexibility to move guys about between ML, AAA, and AA - it was the lower level development that we were concerned with... There's 13 30+ year olds - and a few of these are mid-30's, and the bulk of these are really on 2 teams (SS with 4 - and sub-.500; BAK with 3 - 1st place) - and there are 10, I believe, 29-year olds. This is just 3% of the total potential AA population. Now, perhaps, the end of the year is not the best gauge, as players move about with the September call-ups et al, but I don't think 3% of the population being peri-30 is a horrible competitive advantage.

Besides, holding a 35-year old at AA ain't exactly hoarding good players in the minors - if he were still good, he'd be making $8M in the Bigs!! Plenty of 'Crash' Davis' in history...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
MikeB
Triple-A
Triple-A

#9 Post by MikeB »

I would be opposed to it based on flexibility. I tend to sign those guys when injuries pile up since they can play at the level rather than bounce guys up and down all season and sign guys who went undrafted to fill the bottom end. That said, while I signed six over 30s at AAA during the season to fill injuries, I still don't have any at AA. But if I had guys come back, I'd rather have options about sending people down.
Mike Best
San Juan Coqui
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Denny »

I agree with the gentleman from San Juan. It would hamper flexibility, and there are so few of them it makes not much difference either way to AA competitiveness.

Also, the fact that there ARE a handful of 30+ guys in real-life AA just as in our league tells me that PEBA is accurately reflecting this aspect of the baseball world as it is.
Last edited by Denny on Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star

#11 Post by Sandgnats »

Codgers wrote:I agree with the gentleman from San Juan. It would hamper flexibility, and there are so few of them it makes not much difference either way to AAA competitiveness.

Also, the fact that there ARE a handful of 30+ guys in real-life AAA just as in our league tells me that PEBA is accurately reflecting this aspect of the baseball world as it is.

I am also in agreement. I hoarded a few old guys at the end of their careers in AAA for emergency call up purposes this season.
RJ Ermola
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Denny »

I just noticed that my post above says "AAA" instead of AA. The same points still stand, however.

It also just occurred to me that we wouldn't be able to send injured players to AA for rehab assignments if they were older than 30, would we? Not that it happens often, but one more reason not to have an age restriction in my opinion.
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star

#13 Post by Sandgnats »

Hey Denny,

Someone in a previous post indicated that the program will exempt rehab assignments.
RJ Ermola
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Borealis »

Sandgnats wrote:Hey Denny,

Someone in a previous post indicated that the program will exempt rehab assignments.
I think Greg 'thought' they could - certainly an experiment needs to happen before we go any further with this discussion... that would be a deal breaker if they couldn't...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star

#15 Post by Sandgnats »

Borealis wrote:
Sandgnats wrote:Hey Denny,

I think Greg 'thought' they could - certainly an experiment needs to happen before we go any further with this discussion... that would be a deal breaker if they couldn't...
Mike... we agree... woah... as I watch a cow fly by. ;) jk
RJ Ermola
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”