Neat stuff sim thread - PEBA 2025 - Season 19

Morris Ragland
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Re: Neat stuff sim thread - PEBA 2025 - Season 19

#151 Post by Morris Ragland »

Evas wrote:Pretty happy with my haul in international Free Agency.
  • SP Hyo-cheong Pak has #1-#2 SP potential and very good intangibles.
  • 1B Clyde Stinton seemed like the best bat of the crop this year. He needs to learn a position, but there's plenty of time for that.
  • C Barry Gillard could be a hidden bargain. OSA rates him as 9-9-7-6-7 offensive potential.
I missed out on SP Pedro Montés and RF Taylor Penaligan. I liked both of those guys. But at least missing out on them kept me just under the $2.8M cap.
We did alright on the international market this season. I came in with modest goals, and signed all three of my targets while staying under the cap.

Picked up the aforementioned P Pedro Montés. A project, but I hope we can teach him to throw a respectable slider. Also added 1B Lachlan Vader (fringe hitting prospect who came fairly cheap, but with great nickname potential), and C Tasuku Shunsen (also a fringe prospect, though OSA thinks he is the second coming of Carlton Fisk, but wanted at least one Japanese to add this year and Maeda looked to be out of my price range, and boy was he at $5.89M).

OSA and my scout were miles apart on Pak, so it will be interesting to see where he is in four years.

But Reno, holy cow. :shock:
Morris Ragland
Commissioner
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#152 Post by Borealis »

We offered to just one guy - but was out bid by Reno - who I think won't be able to bid again until 2030... :-B
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#153 Post by Zephyrs »

Borealis wrote:We offered to just one guy - but was out bid by Reno - who I think won't be able to bid again until 2030... :-B
I knew we would be going over the limit so I decided to go for broke.
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#154 Post by Evas »

Zephyrs wrote:
Borealis wrote:We offered to just one guy - but was out bid by Reno - who I think won't be able to bid again until 2030... :-B
I knew we would be going over the limit so I decided to go for broke.
I think it was an excellent strategy.

Spending big on prospects is a great idea for a rebuilding team and much better to go all than to go slightly over the limit.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#155 Post by Alleghenies »

My team is in a major slump and I can't seem to figure it out. So expect some major changes soon.
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
MikeB
Triple-A
Triple-A

#156 Post by MikeB »

WV still one series I'm sweating. WV and Kentucky are the two that have handled my team pretty well this year.

In my team's news, sucks for Bob Vollmer that he got hurt just after being called up and basically winning the third base job over Richard Kelly had he'd been healthy this next sim. Kelly has had some big hits but he's been struggling to adjust to the IL.
Mike Best
San Juan Coqui
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#157 Post by Leones »

Tip o' the hat to San Juan who whipped us good to extend their division lead, taking both games in the series and grabbed the top spot in the power rankings.

Unfortunately for us we just can't catch a break in our outfield this season. LF Takeda's gone for the season after we extended him to please ownership (broken bone in elbow 4-5 months). The we get RF Suzuki back after a long outage and he promptly goes down again, effectively for the season (torn ankle ligaments 3-4 months).

Luckily we just signed FA LF Jorge Vargas to a 3 yr deal and we just got CF Marcos Ramos back from the DL. With a little juggling we can get through it with minimal damage, but losing those two is gonna hurt.

On the International FA front we were happy to land international amateur [urlhttp://pebabaseball.com/reports/news/html/players/player_1594.html]SP Jorge De Los Santos[/url] out of Panama to a minor league contract with a $2,800,000 signing bonus. He'll be a good fit.

In other news we did a pretty big reshuffle of our personnel. Moved a lot of Managers around and promoted several coaches. Hopefully this will give a kick to some of our farm clubs who could use a good kick in the backside. :angry-cussingblack:
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#158 Post by Sandgnats »

Alleghenies wrote:My team is in a major slump and I can't seem to figure it out. So expect some major changes soon.
I hear you... my pitching staff is a major disappointment.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#159 Post by DanD »

I think i need to create a fire break between my bullpen and rotation before the whole staff goes up! Getting some head-scratchingly bad performances this year!

Speaking of rotation - 2 of 5 were banged up a little this week. Pacheco will be good to go for his next start, but Fred Benjamin will miss at least one. Kind of scary because if the rotation falters the whole house of cards comes crumbling down.

Raines has looked a shell of himself ever since coming back from a finger injury. Perhaps something else is going on with him? Perhaps Time has come to collect?
Dan DiVincenzo
GM of Okinawa Shisa
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#160 Post by Denny »

Well, the salmon and green have lost eight games in a row and nine of their last ten, and lie seven games out of the last playoff spot, and not much hope for improvement with visits to Aurora and Crystal Lake in the immediate offing. I think it's time to pull the plug on Palm Springs' 2025 season and see if we can semi-retool for 2026.
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
MikeB
Triple-A
Triple-A

#161 Post by MikeB »

My team is having the same crash it went through last year. Two-week hitting slump. Pitchers going from great season to bad. Team has wild unexplainable swings.
Last edited by MikeB on Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Best
San Juan Coqui
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#162 Post by Arroyos »

The virtue of a losing team, like my Dozers, is how consistently they play.
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#163 Post by Duane »

Big week as Kentucky faced off with Florida for 4 games. KyT taking 3 of 4 from the F-heads now both sit (virtually) tied atop the IL Dixie. Gonna be a helluva race this second half.
:cry: :-o !+) :bang: ;-D :grin:
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#164 Post by Duane »

Sometimes deadline deals work and other times they do not .... in this instance
"08/03/2025 Injured (shoulder inflammation), out for 3 months. "
it did not work out.

Neil Maes season is over, so Kentucky will hope other recovering pitchers can rise to the role.
Duane

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#165 Post by Duane »

Now I know why the players (and especially the pitchers) hate my manager Bob Arnold.
In this sim he used a rotation of Domingo-Slayer-Telez-Slayer-Telez-Hernandez-Camacho. Slayer is already tired and it wasn't his turn so why not throw him twice in 3 games ... and Telez is a rook so why not burn out his arm/shoulder???

F*&%%^&^$#$%^&*

:angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
Duane

IL still RULES!!!!!

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”