Neat stuff sim thread - PEBA 2025 - Season 19

Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Neat stuff sim thread - PEBA 2025 - Season 19

#481 Post by Borealis »

Sandgnats wrote:
Codgers wrote:Well, Palm Springs is rapidly turning into Florida West with all the former Featherheads we are signing in free agency.
Make sense that that Codgers and Featherheads would have about the same average aged fan.
:clap: :clap: :bang: :clap: :clap: :bang: :clap: :clap:
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#482 Post by Borealis »

Borealis wrote:I don't think we need to overhaul the rules - they've served us perfectly fine, though I think the addition of a back-loaded contract - under certain conditions, would be a good idea... maybe for contracts of 5 or more years, after age 35... something like that...
Unfortunately the new OOTP doesn't let us see those personality traits on a players page (DUMB!), but they do let you see it on the roster page view under the 'Personality & Morale' subset (go figure - what's the point?). I'd suggest something like if a guy had a High Loyalty &/or Leadership and a Normal to Very Low Greed, that these would be players who could qualify for the front loaded contract. Then we could look to the Constitution for guidance by incorporating the Vet Exception:

qualifying veterans may be offered a 1-year multi-year contract at a salary no less than 75% of the player’s current salary (for the de-escalating years). The qualifications are as follows:
Player is at least 33 years old as of the conclusion of a league’s playoffs (in de-esculating years of the contract)
Player has a Loyalty rating of “Normal” or higher (already addressed)
Player has enough service time to qualify for free agency
Player has signed at least one previous major league contract with his current team
Player has been under major league contract with his current team for the previous three consecutive seasons or six total seasons

I'd say we should have a defined number of years at or above their currant salary (say 1-year on a 3-year deal, 2-years on a 4-year deal, etc... for example), then the values go down...

So, for example, Mike Britt. He'll be 33 after the 2027 season. So if I offered him an extension to his current deal ($13M for 2026), I'd have to make 2027 > or = to $13M for 2027 (for a three year deal) and then 2028 and 2029 could be for less (say $10M).

Of course, we'd have to discuss how much each year could decrease - if at all; maybe it becomes a static salary? IDK - that's something that would have to be discussed.

Britt is a good example, because right now he's asking for an 8-year extension, 3-years at raises, then the last 5 decline, ending at his current $13M for 2024 - not that it's a deal I'm interested in, but I know that there are players who ask for this kind of a deal. A long deal like that would require more upfront, increases, even if the player is over 33 (I think the longer the deal, the longer it should be before you hit de-esculation - again, just my thought).

Any ways, just my 2¢ on the idea - which I think has merit, and although it'll help all teams - rich and 'poor', it will be beneficial to the 'poorer' teams as they at least can commit less on their future balance sheets than they may otherwise do, have more money to negotiate with, and hold players they may otherwise lose.
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#483 Post by Sandgnats »

I think this is a very good idea Mike.

Perhaps we should define the rate of decrease that is allowed from year to year on a multi-year deal. Maybe 25% decline per year should be allowed to follow the logic of the current rule.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#484 Post by Borealis »

Sandgnats wrote:I think this is a very good idea Mike.

Perhaps we should define the rate of decrease that is allowed from year to year on a multi-year deal. Maybe 25% decline per year should be allowed to follow the logic of the current rule.
I think 25% per year over multiple years is excessive - after 4 years they will play for free!! (Hmmmm...)

I would think 25% over the decreasing years in total would make sense - it can be 6% per year over four, for example... maybe over longer decreasing spans (say 5 or 6 years of an 8-year deal) we could make it a total of 35%...?

(And for transparency, in using Britt as my example, I am not advocating for this change to be able to take advantage of a potential change - ANY rule change presumably would come into play after this season (2026) and I'm hoping to get Britt signed by spring training (and hopefully his last contract))
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#485 Post by Duane »

... but 25% decrease on 100k is 75k then the next year 25% off 75k is around 19k ... then 25% off 56.25 is around 14k
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#486 Post by Borealis »

Thoroughbreds wrote:... but 25% decrease on 100k is 75k then the next year 25% off 75k is around 19k ... then 25% off 56.25 is around 14k
<------ not a math whiz...
:-o !+) ;-D
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#487 Post by Ghosts »

I think that everyone who plays for Aurora should be eligible for Bakersfield claiming them via involuntary loan from the Borealis on an annual basis at 25% discount with no commitment from the Bears or consideration given to Aurora. Aurora to pay the 25% discount out of their pocket. Parity?
Dan Vail
Bakersfield Bears 2028-2030
Niihama-shi Ghosts 2010, 2031-current
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#488 Post by Borealis »

I think the Bears have been drinking that Yuman Agua... I've a SS available for your #1 pick if you want a player from Aurora...
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star

#489 Post by Sandgnats »

Thoroughbreds wrote:... but 25% decrease on 100k is 75k then the next year 25% off 75k is around 19k ... then 25% off 56.25 is around 14k

Thanks Duane... that was my point. :D

If we allow 75% off year one, why not continue that logic. Plus if they are over 33... it might not be a long deal and you still need to convince the player to accept the reduction.

Just an idea gents!
RJ Ermola
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star

#490 Post by Sandgnats »

Borealis wrote:I think the Bears have been drinking that Yuman Agua... I've a SS available for your #1 pick if you want a player from Aurora...
HAHAHAHAHAHA

If Bob had a dollar every time we discussed Yuma water.......
RJ Ermola
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#491 Post by Ghosts »

I don't get the joke but the agua tastes great.... Bears fill some big roster holes with signings of 1B Lonnie Cole and CL Jose Paz.
Dan Vail
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#492 Post by Borealis »

The Borealis move to bolster their bullpen, adding a 'Doberman' to the mix of 'Javelin's' and 'Stork's'...
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star

#493 Post by Sandgnats »

Borealis wrote:The Borealis move to bolster their bullpen, adding a 'Doberman' to the mix of 'Javelin's' and 'Stork's'...
The Dawg Pack moves to the Front Range.
RJ Ermola
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#494 Post by Ghosts »

In potentially our last offseason move, the Bears snag another former Aurora enemy. We needed a backup catcher and another bat against left-handed pitching and Rusty Butler will be the guy. He had a career year last year, and while we're not expecting that kind of success, we will give him the opportunity to compete for the DH role against lefties. Rumor has it, the Borealis will need to change not only all of their signs but their methodology for assigning indicators and bluffs of all of their calls.
Dan Vail
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#495 Post by Borealis »

Bears wrote:Rumor has it, the Borealis will need to change not only all of their signs but their methodology for assigning indicators and bluffs of all of their calls.
Which will be No Problemo, see we will have TWO Rookie catchers this year...

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”