40 Man Roster / 60 Day DL/ Rule 5

Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

40 Man Roster / 60 Day DL/ Rule 5

#1 Post by Alleghenies »

I have a guy on the 60 day DL (out for 9 more months). Do I need to activate him and place him back on the 40 man roster so he isn't posted in rule 5?

Thanks.
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: 40 Man Roster / 60 Day DL/ Rule 5

#2 Post by Reg »

Speaking from past experience : he is eligible to be picked if he is on the 60-day DL. He would have to be added to your 40-man roster to avoid that.
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#3 Post by Alleghenies »

Trendsetters wrote:Speaking from past experience : he is eligible to be picked if he is on the 60-day DL. He would have to be added to your 40-man roster to avoid that.

Thanks. I thought that would be the case.
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#4 Post by Coqui »

And this is as good a time as any to remind everyone that the Rule 5 Draft is coming up. There are three more sims to get your 40-man roster in order:

- Saturday Feb 4, 2017
- Monday Feb 6, 2017
- Wednesday, Feb 8, 2017 (This is the last opportunity for you to make changes to your 40-man roster)

The Rule 5 Draft will be processed with the Saturday, Feb 11 sim. Do not get caught with your prospects flapping in the wind.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#5 Post by Sandgnats »

When is the first day to do the additions that won't be counted for service time or contract payments for 2024? Is it the first day into FA that starts the clock for 2025 contracts?
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Dinosaurs
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#6 Post by Dinosaurs »

Longshoremen wrote:And this is as good a time as any to remind everyone that the Rule 5 Draft is coming up. There are three more sims to get your 40-man roster in order:

- Saturday Feb 4, 2017
- Monday Feb 6, 2017
- Wednesday, Feb 8, 2017 (This is the last opportunity for you to make changes to your 40-man roster)

The Rule 5 Draft will be processed with the Saturday, Feb 11 sim. Do not get caught with your prospects flapping in the wind.
If the answer is "no" that would be fine, but I do toss out the idea for next offseason and going forward beyond that to create a greater spread of time between when free agency starts and when the Rule 5 is. It would help to have some additional time with open roster spots (freed up once players depart for free agency) to decide on who to roster/protect or not. As is, I end up releasing or DFA'ing players (and also angering them) that are due to reach free agency in a week or so to reduce the risk of missing out on protecting players.
Cristian Shofar - GM Fargo Dinosaurs
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Leones »

I'm with Christian on this one. A later Rule5 would be very helpful. I'm still awaiting arbitration decisions on a dozen or so guys. At this point I'm sure I'll have some roster spaces but don't yet have enough clarity on that to be able to assign all the spots on the 40-man roster that I'd like.

It feels like we have this very uneccessary intense period after which not much is going to happen for a long time.
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Duane »

If I am not mistaken, in real MLB the Rule V is at the end of Winter meetings. The way we have it here is way to early.
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star

#9 Post by Sandgnats »

Dinosaurs wrote:
Longshoremen wrote:And this is as good a time as any to remind everyone that the Rule 5 Draft is coming up. There are three more sims to get your 40-man roster in order:

- Saturday Feb 4, 2017
- Monday Feb 6, 2017

If the answer is "no" that would be fine, but I do toss out the idea for next offseason and going forward beyond that to create a greater spread of time between when free agency starts and when the Rule 5 is. It would help to have some additional time with open roster spots (freed up once players depart for free agency) to decide on who to roster/protect or not. As is, I end up releasing or DFA'ing players (and also angering them) that are due to reach free agency in a week or so to reduce the risk of missing out on protecting players.

I am also in agreement with Cristian. I pissed off a lot of players, but it was necessary to make those moves for the same reasons.
RJ Ermola
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#10 Post by Alleghenies »

Thoroughbreds wrote:If I am not mistaken, in real MLB the Rule V is at the end of Winter meetings. The way we have it here is way to early.
While in MLB Rule V draft is at end of meetings, the Meetings are usually around DEC 10 (usually the 2nd Saturday in December at the latest, if I recall from my days working it IRL), so in essence our meetings are late but the Rule V draft is right on time.
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#11 Post by Coqui »

Alleghenies wrote:
Thoroughbreds wrote:If I am not mistaken, in real MLB the Rule V is at the end of Winter meetings. The way we have it here is way to early.
While in MLB Rule V draft is at end of meetings, the Meetings are usually around DEC 10 (usually the 2nd Saturday in December at the latest, if I recall from my days working it IRL), so in essence our meetings are late but the Rule V draft is right on time.
This.

A couple of points here:

- You can always release your free agents that you are not going to sign, and your arbitration-eligible players for whom you withdraw an offer in order to free up 40-man space. (For that matter, I wish that the sim engine worked differently, so that there was a deadline for arbitration offers that then removed those players from the 40 man a few days before the actual arbitration hearings, and that automatically removed them from your roster.)

- Moving the Rule 5 draft later actually causes more issues, in the event that you sign free agents to your team in early free agency. As is, there is often a disconnect where a player signs with a team during the sim that approached the Rule 5 Draft. That player is not automatically put on the 40-man roster, but is instead listed in DFA and therefore shows up as available for the Rule 5 draft. It's an odd quirk.

- Moving the Rule 5 draft later in FA would make 40 man roster spots more at a premium than they are now - at least now you can cut guys (see bullet #1 above) that you know you don't want on your team in order to make room IF YOU HAVE TO. (And note that the sims are currently scheduled such that you don't have to as long as you will be able to d/l and export during that last sim.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#12 Post by Zephyrs »

Are there any negative impacts to releasing a guy vs. not giving him an arbitration offer?
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star

#13 Post by Sandgnats »

Zephyrs wrote:Are there any negative impacts to releasing a guy vs. not giving him an arbitration offer?
Only that they won't want to talk a deal with you if you change your mind.
RJ Ermola
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Dinosaurs
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#14 Post by Dinosaurs »

Zephyrs wrote:Are there any negative impacts to releasing a guy vs. not giving him an arbitration offer?
I will note one thing I didn't realize at the time was that you can DFA a player and the time to make a decision on placing them or releasing them is extended during the offseason so that was an alternative to outright releasing players. They still can be pissed off about that though it seems.
Cristian Shofar - GM Fargo Dinosaurs
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#15 Post by Wind Dancers »

Welp, made my first mistake. Had a player with a long name shortlisted so I didn't see that he was rule 5 eligible on the roster overview. :angry-cussingblack:
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”