League Administration and Governance

kiersteadmo
Double-A
Double-A

Re: League Administration and Governance

#31 Post by kiersteadmo »

Coqui wrote:Sorry to change the subject but are we all still onboard with the ratings being shown relative to league level? I know my team is dreadful but dealing with that and looking at prospects whose potential ratings are unrealistically bad isn't a lot of fun. Potential ratings shouldn't decline by league level as much.

But it also could be the draft classes are poor. The colleges don't look bad this year but in the IFHS of the 26 batters with 2.5 stars or more (OSA) only one is hitting .300 - this is high school ball for godsakes - and a good number barely hitting their weight. The overall league batting average in the IHS the last three years was .201, .189, .198. And the IFHS is in the .220s. As far as colleges, the ICOL has held steady but the USCBA batting averages have dropped 50 points since the league began. My concern is whether this is our future. Believe me a league of teams that hit like mine isn't going to be fun.

Does anyone have an assessment so far of whether talent is declining among recent picks?

In prior seasons I used to gather this information but have not done so yet as we moved to 2018 and the rating do change when we switch versions and they tend to recover. am unsure if this will continue to get worse or better. We have had a few draft classes in that were very very and a few that were very very good, it all depends and I think it is more RG than anything else.
Mark Kierstead II
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#32 Post by Wind Dancers »

Leagues often flucuate between pitching or hitting heavy periods of time. This thing is with that way we do ratings, players are being compared to the BEST players in the league. So if I have a batter with 5 contact, he doesn’t look that great. But there may only 1 player in the league with a 10 contact rating, but my player will still be compared to that 10. I’ve only been in the league for 2 seasons so the change wasn’t too drastic for me, but I imagine it took some of the excitement away from the GMs who have been playing for awhile. I believe the original goal was to make it easier to understand minor league ability.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#33 Post by Sandgnats »

Borealis wrote:I think one thing that might be helpful for that whole ‘league average’ clauses in the Constitution, is to simply post the League Average at the top of the forum page, so it’s easily seen. I would bet that part of the problem is even knowing what the average is! It’s not easy to find...
I have it locked in on my Front Office / Finances pages and then the Payroll Drop down will show it. But Mike, that is a great idea and it could be updated each simulation very easily.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star

#34 Post by Sandgnats »

Evas wrote:
Warriors wrote:I had a player who was making 15 mil but was only asking 8 mil after we went from OOTP17 to OOTP 18, I understand some players (AI) might realize they have a drop-off point in regards to production. But to lose a player due to not making him a contract offer under strict rules we follow could be more flexible. With contracts getting way to high (35-37mil) I think we could manage a change here also so the smaller team could compete better. A competitive league is a better league
The funny thing is that contracts rocketed up in value because the league has much more money - because a new TV deal was invented to give more money to smaller teams.
Kevin also makes a great point here. Because we have just a luxury tax, the contracts were still able to inflate considerably. If we really wanted to control inflation, a salary cap would prevent that. A cap and revenue sharing option could work. I think that possibly could be done in OOTP if we wanted to phase this in. I will experiment with different settings in demos to see if possible - that is if we want to explore this option.
RJ Ermola
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star

#35 Post by Sandgnats »

Wind Dancers wrote:Leagues often flucuate between pitching or hitting heavy periods of time. This thing is with that way we do ratings, players are being compared to the BEST players in the league. So if I have a batter with 5 contact, he doesn’t look that great. But there may only 1 player in the league with a 10 contact rating, but my player will still be compared to that 10. I’ve only been in the league for 2 seasons so the change wasn’t too drastic for me, but I imagine it took some of the excitement away from the GMs who have been playing for awhile. I believe the original goal was to make it easier to understand minor league ability.
Sorry to post 3 in a row guys, I forgot to copy and paste..... But Dylan is spot on here as well. This does force our human scouting more into stats as well as ability ratings. I've noticed a lot of great performing players with excellent stats this season, but relatively lower "ratings."

I am taking solace in all the great ideas everyone has brought up so far. Our future will continue to be bright.
RJ Ermola
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#36 Post by Denny »

I really like the new ratings system--its effect is reduced certainty, which both reflects reality (IMO) and is good for the league.
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#37 Post by Borealis »

I'll chime in with this...

I hate it. In real life, you have the eye test. You can look at a kid, and maybe his stats aren't so good, but you can see the pieces - the eye, the swing, the ability to make contact... you look at a player and you can see the ability... the old ratings reflected that - as did the fact that sometimes great ability doesn't translate to great play... now, virtually every minor leaguer looks like crap because what was our 'eye test' has been taken away - it's as if the only way scouts and coaches IRL could judge players were by Braille - his body feels like he can hit - and what exactly does that feel like?

I think Denny's comment about reduced certainty is not quite warranted - I've had plenty studdly looking guys flame out - Rod Johnson and Ken Coleman anybody? We could look at those Potential 7-8-9's, but that never was a guarantee... now all we see are 3-4-5's - 6's on a good day...

Dire Straits may have wanted their MTV, but I want my eye test back...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
MikeB
Triple-A
Triple-A

#38 Post by MikeB »

The ratings would be easier to adjust to if the kid who hits .205 in high school wasn't actually above the league average. It makes it hard to distinguish between anyone.
Mike Best
San Juan Coqui
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#39 Post by Evas »

I am fine with the level of accuracy of the scouts under the current system. The fact that your scout's assessments could be wrong is a feature, not a defect.

I am also OK with the scoring of the system relative to PEBA. You should know how your guy projects relative to the league they would be playing in.

But I don't like the lack of resolution in the scouting. Going from 1 to 10 doesn't give my scout enough options to tell me how one player compares to another. My scout could be looking at 2 players he thinks are significantly different, but his report would tell me they're equal.

For example - If we used a 1 to 100 system, if my scout thought player X is a 36/100 and player Y is 44/100 his report would show me that he thinks player Y is about 22% better than player X. But in the 1 to 10 system, they both show up as a 4 on the report. My scout could still be wrong, but at least he could tell me he though 2 players were different.

Personally, I wish we would use the MLB 20 to 80 based scoring system.

That would provide 14 levels of scoring, as opposed to our 10 now. So somewhat better resolution, but not a crazy departure.

Selfishly, it would also help me get more familiar with that system, which I've always wanted to do.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star

#40 Post by Sandgnats »

Evas wrote:I am fine with the level of accuracy of the scouts under the current system. The fact that your scout's assessments could be wrong is a feature, not a defect.

I am also OK with the scoring of the system relative to PEBA. You should know how your guy projects relative to the league they would be playing in.

But I don't like the lack of resolution in the scouting. Going from 1 to 10 doesn't give my scout enough options to tell me how one player compares to another. My scout could be looking at 2 players he thinks are significantly different, but his report would tell me they're equal.

For example - If we used a 1 to 100 system, if my scout thought player X is a 36/100 and player Y is 44/100 his report would show me that he thinks player Y is about 22% better than player X. But in the 1 to 10 system, they both show up as a 4 on the report. My scout could still be wrong, but at least he could tell me he though 2 players were different.

Personally, I wish we would use the MLB 20 to 80 based scoring system.

That would provide 14 levels of scoring, as opposed to our 10 now. So somewhat better resolution, but not a crazy departure.

Selfishly, it would also help me get more familiar with that system, which I've always wanted to do.
I am very much in agreement with Kevin's points here.
RJ Ermola
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
kiersteadmo
Double-A
Double-A

#41 Post by kiersteadmo »

l agree with Kevin also
Mark Kierstead II
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#42 Post by Wind Dancers »

While I like the 1-10 scale, I can understand wanting to go to the traditional 20-80. Of course, more data points give you a more accurate report on a player but it also gets rid of the fog of war that comes with scouting. 20-80 isn't bad as it still keeps things close to what we are used to I just worry about shaking up the league TOO much.

Also, I would never be okay with a 1-100 scale as it's just completely unrealistic.

I'd like to hear what Morris thinks about all of the things that have been discussed. Hopefully, we can get the moving sooner rather than later.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star

#43 Post by Sandgnats »

This has definitely been a very interesting and productive off season discussion. Everyone has brought good thoughts to the table.
RJ Ermola
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#44 Post by Zephyrs »

Wind Dancers wrote:Hopefully, we can get the moving sooner rather than later.
Please. I need this league to get moving. It has been a long time since I have had a sim with any meaning for Reno.
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star

#45 Post by Sandgnats »

It might be a good idea to form committees on some issues that have been discussed and then what the committee has decided can be brought to a vote to the group at large. I've found this to be an effective way to get things done with a large group like we have. This might take the pressure off Morris a bit as well.
RJ Ermola
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”