All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 49  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:04 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:42 pm
Posts: 2364
Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
Evas wrote:
Had to pull the plug on the Hancock experiment. In 7 starts and 38.1 IP, he posted an ERA+ of 57 and struck out only 4. I think it's time for the GOAT to hang 'em up.

The newly acquired Bryan Bedell will slide in to the #5 spot in my rotation in place of Hancock. I'm hoping I can get 90 ERA+ performance out of him.

I'm trying to avoid bringing up the kids (Barrios and Castillo) in the middle of a pennant run.


Wow, PEBA is really rolling over into a new generation. Even the best of his era might be playing his last games. A big moment/shift !

_________________
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - present)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:26 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:27 pm
Posts: 5992
Location: San Francisco
Trendsetters wrote:
Evas wrote:
Had to pull the plug on the Hancock experiment. In 7 starts and 38.1 IP, he posted an ERA+ of 57 and struck out only 4. I think it's time for the GOAT to hang 'em up.

The newly acquired Bryan Bedell will slide in to the #5 spot in my rotation in place of Hancock. I'm hoping I can get 90 ERA+ performance out of him.

I'm trying to avoid bringing up the kids (Barrios and Castillo) in the middle of a pennant run.


Wow, PEBA is really rolling over into a new generation. Even the best of his era might be playing his last games. A big moment/shift !

Yes, good Call Reg! It makes me feel old - when we took over Aurora in the 2011 season, ‘Fireworks’ was just beginning to make his PEBA mark - with us battling against him every season for Desert Hills supremecy - first as he led Tempe to it’s Amazing Title, and then over the years as he’s led the Bears. PEBA/Aurora history will never be told completely without that rivalry (to which, the Borealis have had the upper hand - or so it feels)... and to think, if it hadn’t been my kindness in letting the Tempe GM post the deal, he would have ended up in Aurora and not Bakersfield...

_________________
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Image
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:57 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:37 am
Posts: 2727
Trendsetters wrote:
Evas wrote:
Had to pull the plug on the Hancock experiment. In 7 starts and 38.1 IP, he posted an ERA+ of 57 and struck out only 4. I think it's time for the GOAT to hang 'em up.

The newly acquired Bryan Bedell will slide in to the #5 spot in my rotation in place of Hancock. I'm hoping I can get 90 ERA+ performance out of him.

I'm trying to avoid bringing up the kids (Barrios and Castillo) in the middle of a pennant run.


Wow, PEBA is really rolling over into a new generation. Even the best of his era might be playing his last games. A big moment/shift !


I hope Tempe picks him up. I think it would be fitting for him to throw his last pitch there.

_________________
Kevin Vail. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:41 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:27 pm
Posts: 5992
Location: San Francisco
Evas wrote:
I hope Tempe picks him up. I think it would be fitting for him to throw his last pitch there.

Long Beach... :-P

_________________
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Image
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:23 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:37 am
Posts: 2727
I'm trying to not sound bitter, but the injuries continue to mount. This time it was my #2 SP, Victor Latham, who was having a career year having posted a sparkling 1.90ERA and 190 ERA+ in 22 starts - fresh off a major contract extension.

He'll miss the rest of 2026 and a good chunk of 2027 with a UCL tear. That's the 6th season ending injury to my pitching staff and the 4th member of my rotation lost for the season. All 4 of them will be out at the beginning of 2027 as well.

I'm also missing 4 of my starting position players at the moment. Though fortunately I should get all of them back at some point in 2026.

But that might not matter because 2026 is looking like a lost cause. 2027 is at risk too. The new injury setting is so severe that it could force me in to a rebuild. Just brutal.

Screw it, I'll bring up the kid. Time to see if top SP prospect Jorge Castillo can save the season for SS.

_________________
Kevin Vail. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:23 am 
Offline
Double-A
Double-A
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:46 am
Posts: 266
Evas wrote:
I'm trying to not sound bitter, but the injuries continue to mount. This time it was my #2 SP, Victor Latham, who was having a career year having posted a sparkling 1.90ERA and 190 ERA+ in 22 starts - fresh off a major contract extension.

He'll miss the rest of 2026 and a good chunk of 2027 with a UCL tear. That's the 6th season ending injury to my pitching staff and the 4th member of my rotation lost for the season. All 4 of them will be out at the beginning of 2027 as well.

I'm also missing 4 of my starting position players at the moment. Though fortunately I should get all of them back at some point in 2026.

But that might not matter because 2026 is looking like a lost cause. 2027 is at risk too. The new injury setting is so severe that it could force me in to a rebuild. Just brutal.

Screw it, I'll bring up the kid. Time to see if top SP prospect Jorge Castillo can save the season for SS.



I know we said at the start of the season we would keep an eye on injuries and go from there. I think all of us would agree that we could or should tone it down next season.

ATM we have 124 Injured players Palm Spring and Evas lead the list with 10 and 12 injuries each. The League average is 4.7 injuries per team. Of these a massive percentage are Pitchers. 78 of the 124 are pitchers at 62.9% of the injured list. This is the current report in game. To me that is a hell of a change form the season when I played. I know this happens when we upgrade versions but this seems much worse than before. What do you all think?


On a positive note Duluth and Crystal lake keep fighting for the top spot and looks like it will be a fun ride to see how it turn out.

_________________
Mark Kierstead II
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:20 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:19 pm
Posts: 2438
Location: Your mom's house
Warriors wrote:
Evas wrote:
I'm trying to not sound bitter, but the injuries continue to mount. This time it was my #2 SP, Victor Latham, who was having a career year having posted a sparkling 1.90ERA and 190 ERA+ in 22 starts - fresh off a major contract extension.

He'll miss the rest of 2026 and a good chunk of 2027 with a UCL tear. That's the 6th season ending injury to my pitching staff and the 4th member of my rotation lost for the season. All 4 of them will be out at the beginning of 2027 as well.

I'm also missing 4 of my starting position players at the moment. Though fortunately I should get all of them back at some point in 2026.

But that might not matter because 2026 is looking like a lost cause. 2027 is at risk too. The new injury setting is so severe that it could force me in to a rebuild. Just brutal.

Screw it, I'll bring up the kid. Time to see if top SP prospect Jorge Castillo can save the season for SS.



I know we said at the start of the season we would keep an eye on injuries and go from there. I think all of us would agree that we could or should tone it down next season.

ATM we have 124 Injured players Palm Spring and Evas lead the list with 10 and 12 injuries each. The League average is 4.7 injuries per team. Of these a massive percentage are Pitchers. 78 of the 124 are pitchers at 62.9% of the injured list. This is the current report in game. To me that is a hell of a change form the season when I played. I know this happens when we upgrade versions but this seems much worse than before. What do you all think?
I would tend to agree. With the current setting it is just a struggle to survive from one sim to the next. I think it also favors rich teams who have the resources to afford lots of redundancy (note Shin Seiki still has 76 wins, second-most in the SL, despite having been totally decimated--a smaller team would have been completely out of the running by this point).

_________________
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:37 pm 
Offline
Double-A
Double-A
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:20 pm
Posts: 180
Seems our beloved Constitution link is down. I am wondering about stadium upgrades. With the league batting averages in the dreadfully boring .240s, I am considering building a hitters park to help the effort.

_________________
Mike Best
San Juan Coqui


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:49 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:27 pm
Posts: 5992
Location: San Francisco
Aurora has been more fortunate about the injury bug (Knock-Knock), but certainly we've had our share. ''Javelin' has missed the entire year - ending his time with Aurora (he won't be vesting that contract). He's just the most prominent name of the relief corp to spend time on the DL - Pedro Vega, Lando Lagerveld, Felix Pena, Julio Martinez and 'Doberman' all spending multiple-weeks, with the reliever average (minus Peterson) being 30-days.

Also Carlos Rivera is out for the remainder of the year - and his replacement has a 3-week injury - allowing for Hugh 'Mister' Jones (he's got a thing, going on) to make his PEBA debut. Mike Provost had a minor deal that pushed a start back... with a slew of injuries that were '1-day' deals for the pitchers...

In keeping with the apparent norm, it's been pitchers that have dominated the Aurora DL, but River Pope and Paul Carlisle have spent 3 and 2 weeks, respectively, on the DL...

I'm curious why the disparity between teams? Maybe the amount of rest? I do believe I grant my starters more rest over a year than most teams. I do end up with some odd line-ups at times (like the past week when 'Fido' had an off day, back-up catcher Gutierrez was DHing and DH Pedro Ferringo was catching - oh, he's on OFer by trade), but to me, it feels like it's mostly paid off over the years.

_________________
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Image
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:14 pm 
Offline
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:52 pm
Posts: 861
Location: West Coast United States of America
Borealis wrote:
Aurora has been more fortunate about the injury bug (Knock-Knock), but certainly we've had our share. ''Javelin' has missed the entire year - ending his time with Aurora (he won't be vesting that contract). He's just the most prominent name of the relief corp to spend time on the DL - Pedro Vega, Lando Lagerveld, Felix Pena, Julio Martinez and 'Doberman' all spending multiple-weeks, with the reliever average (minus Peterson) being 30-days.

Also Carlos Rivera is out for the remainder of the year - and his replacement has a 3-week injury - allowing for Hugh 'Mister' Jones (he's got a thing, going on) to make his PEBA debut. Mike Provost had a minor deal that pushed a start back... with a slew of injuries that were '1-day' deals for the pitchers...

In keeping with the apparent norm, it's been pitchers that have dominated the Aurora DL, but River Pope and Paul Carlisle have spent 3 and 2 weeks, respectively, on the DL...

I'm curious why the disparity between teams? Maybe the amount of rest? I do believe I grant my starters more rest over a year than most teams. I do end up with some odd line-ups at times (like the past week when 'Fido' had an off day, back-up catcher Gutierrez was DHing and DH Pedro Ferringo was catching - oh, he's on OFer by trade), but to me, it feels like it's mostly paid off over the years.


I am in agreement with Mike. Rest is very important and so is rotating your roster. I moved my rotation to 6 starters for a part of the summer to get some extra rest to the guys. This is especially important if the game is enhancing setting to increase injury frequency. Also, don't over look the trainer. One of the first things I did was fire the trainer when I took over the Sandgnats because I noticed some injuries popping up more than others. And then luck.... luck as well.

_________________
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:01 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:42 am
Posts: 2155
We pretty much run 6 starters across all our rotations. Started doing this last year when we were getting long streaks of games with no breaks. Overall its worked ok. One nice benefit was that we ended up being deeper so that we could flex back to a standard 5 man rotation for the playoffs and periods when we were short due to injuries or had some breaks in the schedule.

The only real downside was that we left the AAA club weakened by pulling some guys up earlier. But that will get backfilled over a few seasons from draftees working up through the farm. It also makes it a but tougher to keep the rest of the team rounded out but we're lucky in that we've got guys who can cover a number of spots right now. It also meant going with a thinner bullpen which may be an issue in the post season.

_________________
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:30 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:27 pm
Posts: 5992
Location: San Francisco
Borealis wrote:
Also Carlos Rivera is out for the remainder of the year - and his replacement has a 3-week injury - allowing for Hugh 'Mister' Jones (he's got a thing, going on) to make his PEBA debut.

Mister, Mister Jones, MisterJones, MisterJones, MisterJones... He's got a thing...

Two starts, 14 IP, 5 H, 5 BB, 5 K, 0 R - over the 'Gnats and Codgers... I'm not going to fool myself into thinking he's a savior (he's not), but it's always nice for an underdog to achieve every now and then...

Borealis wrote:
... DH Pedro Ferringo was catching - oh, he's on OFer by trade

Yeah... Pedro has caught four games now (and played 2 innings in the OF) - the latest was 'Train Rollin''s 1-hit, CG shut out of Crystal Lake...

Back on the injury trail: Rob Imhoff, Aurora's #1 pick, whose college season ended injured, has developed a little shoulder tendonitis, so back on the DL for a little preventative medicine. Since coming off the DL originally, Imhoff was 1-1, with a 1.14 ERA in 6 games, with 39 K and 10 BB - with teams hitting .138 against...

_________________
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Image
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:14 pm 
Offline
Double-A
Double-A
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:45 pm
Posts: 325
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Have been operating with a rotation made up of 4 starters and a reliever for a while now due to injuries. Finally got one of my 3 starters on the DL (2 season-ending) back only for one of my current starters to get hurt AGAIN and will be out for the rest of the season.

Yet in a season with all of these crazy pitching injuries my top player, and most notorious hospital patient over the past few seasons Jose Escobido, has not spent any time on the DL.

I really like the day-to-day injury system as it's realistic. But the chunk of long-term injuries that affect pitchers a majority of the time are a little much.

I'd be interested to see what some these players injury proneness looks like.

_________________
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:12 pm 
Offline
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:52 pm
Posts: 861
Location: West Coast United States of America
Congrats to Rob Raines who hit homerun number 500 on 9/4/2026! :clap:

_________________
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:29 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:15 pm
Posts: 2767
Location: Rochester, NY
Sandgnats wrote:
Congrats to Rob Raines who hit homerun number 500 on 9/4/2026! :clap:

Woo!
:wave:

_________________
Dan DiVincenzo (GM, Arlington Bureaucrats)
Website Admin


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 49  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group