What was your first baseball "game" or "video game"?

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

What was your first baseball "game" or "video game"?

#1 Post by Reg »

How did you get the bug?

I realize that baseball is a life-long obsession for most.... but was there a moment, or a particular board game or video game that eventually steered you to the immersive world of OOTP? What made you want to be a baseball GM?

Being a relative youngster within PEBA, mine was Hardball III on Super Nintendo/PC in 1992. A great game (I recommend people to try it, it is one of a kind), and one that you could customize quite a bit. As a kid, "Angels in the Outfield" gave me the baseball bug, and Hardball III solidified it. The rest of my path is explained in another thread here.

Anyone else?
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: What was your first baseball "game" or "video game"?

#2 Post by Evas »

The first one I had was the "Baseball" game for the first Gameboy. It had a system where you could enter a code after a game to save your position in a season. I used to go through the entire 162 game season, keeping track of all stats.

After that it was "Base Wars", which is a robot baseball game where force out are resolved by 1 on 1 combat. It was a very silly game, but I enjoyed it immensely.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Leones »

Front Page Sports Baseball 94 for me. After we had run a very successful FPS football league we branched out into baseball. My all time favorite baseball game was MLB Showdown, a card game. That really oozed baseball flavor. Lots of fun and fast to play. We could get in a whole game over a lunch.
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#4 Post by Zephyrs »

I stumbled across Season Ticket Baseball and grabbed it at a local computer store. I think it was 1999 or maybe 2000. I know it was before my kids were born. My wife would watch crappy TV in the evenings and I started messing around with baseball sims while having a few glasses of bourbon. By the time my 2 boys were born, it made perfect sense to pass the time simming baseball on a computer in the evenings while I occasional helped out with the little ones. They are not so little anymore.
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#5 Post by Alleghenies »

My first baseball game was All-Star baseball and you spun the wheel, this was back in late 70's. Then I got Pulsonic Electronic baseball which then I evolved to Head-to-Head baseball. Then I went to Pursue the Pennant(cards). Then MicroLeague baseball to Earl Weaver baseball.. Back to Pursue the Pennant (until it went kapoot).

-- Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:26 pm --
Leones wrote:Front Page Sports Baseball 94 for me. After we had run a very successful FPS football league we branched out into baseball. My all time favorite baseball game was MLB Showdown, a card game. That really oozed baseball flavor. Lots of fun and fast to play. We could get in a whole game over a lunch.
FPS Football was one of the best sport games around. The best Football game with worst graphics, but smartest plays and ingame play was by a company XOR.

The baseball game by FPS sucked. I actually have 2 of them in the wrappers still..
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Leones »

Alleghenies wrote:...The baseball game by FPS sucked. I actually have 2 of them in the wrappers still..
You're missing the great sounds tracks from the FPS games. Crowd noises, cheers, boos, pop corn vendors, hecklers etc ... "Hey! Ho!" :)
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#7 Post by Alleghenies »

Leones wrote:
Alleghenies wrote:...The baseball game by FPS sucked. I actually have 2 of them in the wrappers still..
You're missing the great sounds tracks from the FPS games. Crowd noises, cheers, boos, pop corn vendors, hecklers etc ... "Hey! Ho!" :)
I have them also opened, I heard the sound tracks, but the game still sucked :-)
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”