Mafia! Mutiny In Bay City - Confirmation & Discussion

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Mafia! Mutiny In Bay City - Confirmation & Discussion

#1 Post by Lions »

Mutiny In Bay City

This game is now underway!

Game Threads:
Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5
Day 6
Day 7
Conclusion

Old Business:
Ok, I know this is much later than I had originally hoped, but I'm finally ready to get our second mafia game going. Mafia is a game of wits and strategy that pits an uninformed majority against an informed minority in a battle of survival. Rules for this game will be similar but slightly modified from the last game's rules. This game will be a continuation of the storyline that developed over the course of the last game, but all character alignments will be randomized.

You can check out this thread for a recap of our first game.

I currently have 11 players who committed to this in May:
1. James M (Y)
2. Kevin V (Y)
3. John R (Y)
4. Kevin L (Y)
5. Brian H (Y)
6. Tyler B (Y)
7. Dan D (Y)
8. Mike T (Y)
9. Jim K (Y)
10. James H (-)
11. Paul M (Y)

There's room for up to 2 more, but 1 more would be ideal. You'll have to commit ASAP as I'm planning to start taking character pictures in the next day or two. Paul Tanner - I'm looking at you! I'll get the game going as soon as everyone on this list has committed or declined, so for anyone who's interested in joining, the amount of time you have to decide is however long the last person takes.

If you're not familiar with Mafia, check out this Mafia Wiki for more details. You can also read through our previous game's Confirmation & Discussion thread, where I posted some basic mafia lessons for players.

Mafia Overview
A typical game of Mafia pits two teams against each other. The "Town" team consists of the majority of players, and the town's goal is to eliminate the mafia who've infiltrated their town. Town players don't typically know who each other are. The "Mafia" team consists of a small number of players whose goal is to take over majority control of the town. Mafia players typically know who each other are at the start of the game. At the start of the game, each player will be assigned a character, team alignment, and character role.

The game takes place in Day and Night phases. During the day phase, players are encouraged to discuss their theories about who is and who isn't mafia, with the ultimate goal of voting one player to be "lynched" by the end of the day. Naturally, the mafia will be trying to convince the town to lynch another townie, while the town will be trying to figure out who is mafia in order to lynch them. In our games, each day phase will last several real days so that everyone has ample opportunity to contribute to the discussion.

The night phase is when each character's role comes into play. Roles are things like professions that allow players to influence the outcome of the game. Some roles are investigative, allowing you to learn information about another player's alignment or role, and others are protective, allowing you or your target to avoid being harmed. There are numerous roles possible in mafia, but the most important one is that of the mafia killer, who acts under cover of darkness so as to go undetected.

As each new day begins, the alignment of players killed at night or lynched the previous day will be revealed. Ultimately, the town must use a combination of the evidence before them (role results, alignment revelations upon death, and voting/discussion behavior) to determine who the mafia are. The mafia, in turn, will be doing their darndest to blend in.

At its core, mafia is a game of behavioral analysis and deception. It's also an opportunity to dive into a character and role play while back stabbing your friends.
Last edited by Lions on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Mafia! Mutiny In Bay City - Official Signup Thread

#2 Post by Tyler »

I'm still in, but I want to remind everyone I'm completely unavailable from June 12-16; not sure when this game is going to start. I understand the revised schedule and initially didn't think this vacation would affect the game.
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Lions »

We'll work around people's schedules. I have a vacation this month as well.
Frank Esselink
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by John »

You know I'm in. :D

Frank, since it has been a little while, may I suggest sending a mass PM to any signed-up member who hasn't confirmed in this thread by, say, 6 p.m. PT tonight? Since we're on a schedule to verify who is playing and since some members may miss this thread for a few days if left to their own devices, a little reminder would probably be appropriate.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by DanD »

I'm just about finished moving, so I'm in as well!
Dan DiVincenzo
GM of Okinawa Shisa
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Borealis »

We're in... just don't vote me out first this time!!!

please....
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by klewis »

I should be good to go as well.
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Paul Moots

#8 Post by Paul Moots »

Ready to go.

Paul
Jim

#9 Post by Jim »

re-confirming. Where should I go to start reading up on instructions?
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Tyler »

Outside shot my new roommate wants to play (didn't even think of inviting him during the initial signup, huge oversight on my part). If it's too late to expand the number of players, he might be able to fill in for anyone who doesn't re-confirm. I'll post here when I know about him for sure.
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Lions »

Cliff Hangers wrote:re-confirming. Where should I go to start reading up on instructions?
I've added a Mafia overview to the first post in this thread. There are a number of places to read about the game online, and some of the previous stuff on this forum is helpful, too:
  • Mafiascum.net wiki - This is a GREAT resource. Although organized more for someone somewhat familiar with the game, it's a great place to explore and you can learn a lot.
  • Mafia! The Stadium Lockdown - our first game
    • Mafia! The Stadium Lockdown: C&D - This is the Confirmation & Discussion thread for our first game. I posted some tips on playing mafia starting about 1/3 of the way down page two. It is also a good idea to read the rules there, as we'll play with similar rules this time around (some things will be changed slightly).
    • Mafia! The Stadium Lockdown: Recap & Awards - John compiled the forum posts into Word documents you can download. Reading through a previously played game can give you an idea of what it's like to play one yourself.
    • Mafia! The Stadium Lockdown: Conclusion - In the game conclusion thread, I posted feedback for all the players, which may be helpful to new players.
  • Unfortunately, the only real way to understand what the game is about is to play it. There's no substitute for wondering if your life is on the line or how you can trick someone into trusting you.
Alleghenies wrote:Outside shot my new roommate wants to play (didn't even think of inviting him during the initial signup, huge oversight on my part). If it's too late to expand the number of players, he might be able to fill in for anyone who doesn't re-confirm. I'll post here when I know about him for sure.
If he wants in, he can play whether or not we get everyone reconfirmed. It's still easy enough for me to expand the game. The game only gets more engaging with more players, so I'm always open. Technically, you can play with as few as 3 people, but I've played in games with over 30, and feel that 10 is really the minimum before the host can make it a bit more interesting with fun roles.
Frank Esselink
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Post by John »

Alleghenies wrote:Outside shot my new roommate wants to play (didn't even think of inviting him during the initial signup, huge oversight on my part). If it's too late to expand the number of players, he might be able to fill in for anyone who doesn't re-confirm. I'll post here when I know about him for sure.
Tyler, if your friend wants in, tell him to register an account on our forums and to make a post in the "New Members" thread. His first two posts will need approval from me, so he can burn one off in that thread and another somewhere else before being able to post in our game thread without need of moderation.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#13 Post by Apollos »

In! Looking fwd to it - thanks again for setting it up, Frank.
Brian Hazelwood - GM, Tempe Knights
Denra44

#14 Post by Denra44 »

So how does this game work? trying to decide if I want in or not.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#15 Post by John »

Denra44 wrote:So how does this game work? trying to decide if I want in or not.
Frank ("Nutmeggers") posted links a few posts up that explain the workings of the game. Check them out for details.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”