Mafia! The Stadium Lockdown: Day 1

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Mafia! The Stadium Lockdown: Day 1

#1 Post by Lions »

With the division leading Houghton Beavers coming to town, the struggling Bay City Clutchers
were preparing for a make-or-break series against a team that's recently dominated their contests.
Slated to start the first game of the series, starting pitcher Laird Wausden arrived extra early
to begin his regular pre-game routine. He always began with a brief meditation tour. First the
locker room, where he would visualize the calm required once his teammates and the press arrived. Then
the dugout, where he would concentrate on the process of relaxing his heart rate and mentally
cooling his arm. Something he would do between innings. Next, he moved to the bullpen, where he
focused on his pregame warmup routine. Finally, the mound itself. A kingdom unto his own. He
would not concede his throne, and would bury his opposition from on high. Wausden would forego the
weight room on days he pitched, and having cleansed his mind, he would cleanse his body. There
was still time for a shower before anyone else arrived.

Or so he thought...

Gavin Black and Thomas Hutchins were usually among the first to arrive at the stadium before a home
game, and were busy getting into their jerseys.

"Hey Gavin," Hutchins began while adjusting his stirrups, "How do you get your hair to stand up like that?"

"I started it down in the minors," he replied. "I had a teammate who would rub a stick of hair gel under
his eyes before every game. Annoyed me to no end. So one day I snatched it from him and showed him how
to use it properly. I'm a natural blonde, you know."

Just then a terrified scream was heard from the direction of the showers, and both
players ran to see what was the matter.

"I-i-it's p-p-pinky!" stammered Spikes McGee as the others arrived.

"He's actually taking a shower?"

"Oooh, bubbles!"

"He's dead, you idiots!"

A short while later in the locker room, team owner, Ulysses G. Harrison, flanked by a strange man in a
deerstalker, addressed the small assembly of individuals who had been brought there.

"As you all know, a short while ago, our starting pitcher for today was found brutally murdered in the showers.
The police were immediately notified, the stadium closed off, and the body removed. This is Josef, please assist
him in any way that you can."

"Yes, Zank you, Ulysses. I am a detectif, and I am here to help zolve zis crime. Unfortunately, zince you
were ze only ones in ze stadium prior to ze body being found, you must all stay. Over ze past few weeks, Ulysses
and I have been trying to track down some Mafiosi who have been trying to control ze outcome of ze games.
Unfortunately, ze late Mr. Wausden had been helping zem to sthrow ze games."

"No!" cried someeone.

"It can't be!" said another.

"It eez!" said Josef. "And you will zee it zoon enough! It appears ze Mafiosi will stop at nosthing to take
over. However, as I am a brilliant inspecteur, I have received intelligence zat ze Mafia are amongst us in zis room."

The brief murmur went silent as suspicious glances were cast around the room. No one wanted to make eye contact with anyone.

"Unfortunately," Josef continued, "zat is as far as my intelligence goes."

A sombre Ulysses G. Harrison continued after a few moments. "Thank you, Josef. Ladies and gentlemen, Josef has given
me enough information to believe that unless we take the law into our own hands, the mafia will will escape and continue
to kill. It appears they intend to take over this franchise by any means necessary. As such, we take our stand now. You
must vote to lynch one member among you each day until we have rid ourselves of this menace."

Rules - Please read these carefully!
  1. Each player will be given a character to play who will be aligned with either the Town, the Mafia (scum), or niether. Town wins when all threats to the town have been eliminated and there is at least one town player alive. Mafia wins when the Mafia obtain a majority or nothing can prevent this from occurring. Any other party characters will have their own win conditions outlined in their roles.
  2. Each day you will vote to lynch a player. Voting should be done in the following format: Vote: Character (Name/Forum Handle). Similarly, unvoting is to be done in the format; Unvote: Character (Name/Forum Handle). No other format will be accepted. You may unvote and revote as many times as you like. The player with the most votes at the end of a game day will be lynched. If there is a tie then the first player to achieve this vote count will be lynched. Failing to post in the day thread will result in a vote penalty the following day equal to the remaining number of players divided by 4, rounded up. You may not vote for yourself.
  3. A game day will last a maximum of 72 hours. You may not vote in the first 24 hours. The day will end after 72 hours, unless the group are decided on a lynch and the moderator decides to end it early. After the day has concluded, a night stage will commence, which will last a maximum of 48 hours. Night actions must be sent to the host in the first 24 hours of the night stage. They will not be accepted after this deadline has passed.
  4. The alignment of lynched players, as well as those that died during the night will be revealed at the beginning of the next day.
  5. You may not quote or pretend to quote anything sent to you by the game hosts via PM. This includes all the details of your character and role, as well as any night action results. Role claims and reporting of night action results are acceptable, but in your own words only. Do not attempt to use the structure of your role PM to your advantage.
  6. Do not play the game outside the thread. Similarly, do not post out of character inside the thread. Game tactics and roles may only be discussed in the game thread or via PM with other players. Private discussion is done at your own risk and should be treated as part of the game. Metagame at your own risk.
  7. If you are dead, you may not post in thread or discuss the game with any of the players. Any information you had becomes void, and may not be passed on. Please respect those still alive by keeping what you know to yourself until the game is over.
  8. You may not edit your posts. Editing a post will result in a vote penalty the same day, equal to the number of remaining players divided by 4, rounded up.
  9. If you encounter a problem or have a question, please contact the host via PM. No other communication with the hosts will be accepted or acknowledged.
  10. Any interpretation of rules that require clarification is at the hosts discretion and the host's word is final. You are more than welcome to PM the host for any clarification needed that you feel may be too revealing to ask in this thread.
  11. Violation of the above rules will result in vote penalties at the host's discretion, with the possibility of death for repeated offenses.

Players
Ulysses G. Harrison - NPC
Ulysses is the owner of the Clutchers, and has known that something fishy was going on, but has so far been unable to stop it, a situation reflected in his appearance if not his demeanor.

Josef - NPC
It’s a bit unclear exactly where Josef is from, but he dresses like Sherlock Holmes and clearly knows what he’s doing.

Gavin Black - Played by Kevin L (Featherheads)
You are the Clutcher's cleanup hitter, and you're always trying to take the ladies deep, too, but you're more likely to swing and miss in both situations.

Thomas Hutchins - Played by John (PEBA Commissioner)
You are the team's dependable ace, a veteran who's seen it all, and little phases you at this stage of your career. The offense may be bleak, but you're regularly among the league leaders in most pitching stats.

Janet Ingram - Played by James (Longshoremen)
You are the Clutcher's public relations representative. You have recently denied any truth to rumors of romantic invovlement with Laird Wausden.

Rick Leonardson - Played by Tyler (Allehenies)
You are the Clutcher's head statistician, a position you have the education for but were ultimately given because you are the owner's nephew.

Spikes McGee - Played by Brian (Sandgnats)
You are the speedy leadoff hitter that drives the Clutcher's offense. You're easily the best player in a troubled lineup and you know it.

Olivia Parsons - Played by Bob (Bulldozers)
A single mother and ex-college softball player, you love bringing your son Todd to Clutchers games.

Todd Parsons - Played by Dan (Bureaucrats)
You're the 12 year old son of Olivia, and have been a die hard Clutchers fan longer than you can remember.

Vinny Patek - Played by Kevn V (Evas)
A die hard Beavers fan living in Clutcher's country, you never miss a game when the Beavers visit, and you take plenty of joy in how your team has dominated the matchup in recent years.

Bob Scorat - Played by Mike (Borealis)
You are the player agent for Laird Wausden.

Marcy Swanson - Played by Nigel (Underground)
You regularly sing the national anthem at Clutcher's games, but missed your opportunity with the cancellation of today's game.

Suka Tingenek - Played by Paul (Trendsetters)
You hail from Kivalina, AK and have been an avid follower of Laird Wausden ever since his days as a minor leaguer.

Deceased
Laird Wausden - NPC
Wausden was slated to start the first game of the Beaver series before he was found murdered in the showers.

Day 1 has now begun. The day will last 72 hours. You may not vote for the first 24 hours.

This thread is exclusively for active participants in the game. In-character posts only, please.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Nigel
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Mafia! The Stadium Lockdown: Day 1

#2 Post by Nigel »

As I missed the chance to sing today I should be given the first option of singing at Laird's funeral :clap:
Nigel Laverick

GM San Antonio Calzones de Laredo 2035 - . . .

Former Commish, PEBA & LRS GM

nigel3123@gmail.com
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Reg »

Poor Laird....this is just so unfair...I remember him when he was just starting out. Best spitball I had ever seen....
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Arroyos »

Underground wrote:As I missed the chance to sing today I should be given the first option of singing at Laird's funeral :clap:
Marcy dear, stop thinking only of yourself. The man's dead, no matter how much you disliked him. Show a little respect, dear. None of those clapping hands, please.

Olivia
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by klewis »

Gavin Black: I can't believe Wausden is dead. We need to find the killer quick. I have a date tonight and only have two bottles of hair gel left in my locker. Argh! This is aggravating. Why did Wausden have to die tonight. I'm was going to score. Curse you, Wausden!
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Arroyos »

Featherheads wrote:Gavin Black: I can't believe Wausden is dead. We need to find the killer quick. I have a date tonight and only have two bottles of hair gel left in my locker. Argh! This is aggravating. Why did Wausden have to die tonight. I'm was going to score. Curse you, Wausden!
C'mon, dearies, it's obvious, isn't it? I mean, if you've read all of Agatha Christie's mysteries––and, yes, I admit I have--then the killer has to be one of the ballplayers, right? Think about it. They're the only ones with motive to kill another player.

Oh come on, Gavin, just admit it and get it over with. You killed the poor man because you needed an excuse to get out of that dreadful date tonight!

Olivia
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Reg »

Yeah Gavin...probably not a good idea to curse a dead man for dying!
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#8 Post by Coqui »

< Janet Ingram sobs quietly and uncontrollably in the corner, with a lone day lilly and Wasuden's road cap clutched to her chest. >
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Arroyos »

Longshoremen wrote:< Janet Ingram sobs quietly and uncontrollably in the corner, with a lone day lilly and Wasuden's road cap clutched to her chest. >
Janet, dear, it's not going to be easy—and heaven forbid anyone says Laird wasn't a wonderful man—but he wasn't going to leave his wife for you, you know that, don't you? Of course you do. You have a career to think of, you have your mother to take care of. You're just going to have to get over the man and get on with your life.
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#10 Post by Coqui »

Bulldozers wrote:
Longshoremen wrote:< Janet Ingram sobs quietly and uncontrollably in the corner, with a lone day lilly and Wasuden's road cap clutched to her chest. >
Janet, dear, it's not going to be easy—and heaven forbid anyone says Laird wasn't a wonderful man—but he wasn't going to leave his wife for you, you know that, don't you? Of course you do. You have a career to think of, you have your mother to take care of. You're just going to have to get over the man and get on with your life.
Janet Ingram <tear-soaked eyes blazing>: Zip it, Olivia! You always think that you have all of the answers. For the last time, Laird and I have -well, had <head drops, crestfallen> nothing going on. . . <voice trails off>. . . I've known him for years, that's all. <raises head, eyes blazing again> And leave my mother and my career out of this!!
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Arroyos »

Longshoremen wrote:
Bulldozers wrote:
Janet Ingram <tear-soaked eyes blazing>: Zip it, Olivia! You always think that you have all of the answers. For the last time, Laird and I have -well, had <head drops, crestfallen> nothing going on. . . <voice trails off>. . . I've known him for years, that's all. <raises head, eyes blazing again> And leave my mother and my career out of this!!
Now now, Janet dear, if we're all going to be stuck in this god-awful locker room for the rest of the day, we're going to have to pull ourselves together now, aren't we? Yes, yes, we all understand how hard this is for you. There will be plenty of time for grieving, but right now we have more pressing needs, alright? Alright, dear.

That means you, Ulysses G. Harrison! What right do you have to lock down the stadium and imprison us in this smelly locker room, huh? Answer that—and don't go whispering to your lawyers, they won't do you a damn bit of good in this mess.

When are you going to let us out of here so we can go back to our homes and our lives?

Oliva
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Borealis »

Bob Scorat: This is a tragic occurrance that shall have ripples throughout baseball. Wasuden's death has already led to numerous text messages from potential free agents and their concerns about coming to Bay City next year. Scorat Athletics, Inc. has been caught totally unawares of any illegal actions of Mr. Wasuden's, and claims that he had mob ties must surely be false. He was a stand-up guy and I find it unworldly that he'd be involved with anything as sinister as fixing games.
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by DanD »

Todd Parsons: Mother, with Laird Wausden on vacation in Disney World, who is going to pitch tonight? Why can't we go to our seats yet? I'm hungry! Do you think we can still beat those stupid Beavers? Why is that lady crying over there? Is that Laird's hat? Cool! Can I have it?! *Runs over to grab Wausden's hat from Janet*
Dan DiVincenzo
GM of Okinawa Shisa
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#14 Post by Coqui »

Bulldozers wrote:Now now, Janet dear, if we're all going to be stuck in this god-awful locker room for the rest of the day, we're going to have to pull ourselves together now, aren't we? Yes, yes, we all understand how hard this is for you. There will be plenty of time for grieving, but right now we have more pressing needs, alright? Alright, dear.

Olivia
<Janet Ingram returns to the corner, sobbing even more quietly but in a more controlled fashion.>
Bureaucrats wrote:Todd Parsons: Mother, with Laird Wausden on vacation in Disney World, who is going to pitch tonight? Why can't we go to our seats yet? I'm hungry! Do you think we can still beat those stupid Beavers? Why is that lady crying over there? Is that Laird's hat? Cool! Can I have it?! *Runs over to grab Wausden's hat from Janet*
<Janet Ingram looks up, smiles wanly, and hands Wausden's hat to Todd Parsons.>

Janet Ingram: I think Mr. Wausden would want you to have this. Was he your favorite Clutcher, young man?
James
GM San Juan Coqui
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by klewis »

Gavin Black: Olivia, how dare you accuse me of killing Wausden. What motive do I have to kill a man who is inferior to me? Haven't you seen the way Wausden lands after a pitch? For all we know, he could have slipped in the shower. Wausden couldn't depend on his ear to balance the life of him.

You are right about the dreadful date. Olivia, our date is off tonight!

Edited due to Gavin failing at grammar.
Last edited by klewis on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”