New members: Introduce yourself in this thread

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

New members: Introduce yourself in this thread

#1 Post by John »

New to the PEBA forums? Announce your arrival here!
The PEBA formed around a love of baseball, but we have grown into an online community with diverse interests. When we began this operation years ago, forum membership was restricted to those managing teams in our league. Now we're opening our doors to new members, and you don't have to be a GM to join!

If you've just recently come to us, this is the place to announce your arrival. Shoot off a greeting. Tell us about yourself. What are your interests? Don't worry; you'll meet someone here who shares them. Once you've said your hellos, feel free to join in one of our ongoing discussions, or start your own new topic. We look forward to meeting you!
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Brewersfan74

Hi everybody!

#2 Post by Brewersfan74 »

Hey, I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. My name is Paul and I live in NC. I am an old OOTP player (OOTP9-10, fictional leagues) that misses the competition and fun so I thought I'd try and get back in the action. I did just purchase OOTP12 so I have the latest version of the game (although I hear OOTP13 is coming soon). I'm a prospective PEBA member who as you might guess from my screen name is a Brewers fan at heart. I also am affiliated with the following other teams:

MLB- Brewers fan through and through. I also follow Seattle because I lived in that area for a couple of years about 5 years ago.
NFL- Carolina Panthers and GB Packers
NHL- Carolina Hurricanes
College- UNC (GO HEELS!)* I watched MJ play in a UNC jersey as a kid growing up in NC and loved it! Seriously, that is how long I've been a UNC fan!

I write a blog about my work (pharmacy), I'm into board games (love Ascension,Pilars, Belfort, Dominion, Thunderstone, Alien Frontiers, 7 Wonders and the list goes on, lol) and some video/CPU games (SWTOR anyone?), and I've had UNC football season tickets for three seasons now and I usually go to about 5-6 UNC basketball games a season (last game I've been to this season was the BC game). I also try to catch at least a few UNC baseball games each season along with the AAA Durham Bulls and occasionally the Carolina Mudcats!

The board gaming and blogging should give me more geek points than I care to accept. I've been into other interests including photography but I haven't had the time lately for that. Other than that the big thing I'm involved in right now is planning my wedding which will be this October.

That's about it. I will submit my article to apply to the league. I miss playing OOTP even if I know my team will have lots of injuries, I won't be able to develop any SPs, and that stud FA power hitter will slip away and sign with another team. It's still a ton of fun and the best experience for anyone interested in managing a baseball team for an entire season.

Thanks for considering me as a GM!

*I also like any college team who happens to be playing Duke.
Mike Branda

Re: New members: Introduce yourself in this thread

#3 Post by Mike Branda »

Welcome to the forums , many great articles to read when you have time ;-D
Akira
All-Star
All-Star

#4 Post by Akira »

Look forward to some writing.
RonHi
ronhi0@yahoo.com
Neo-Tokyo Akira
Trade Block updated on 2/12/2021
2012 Neo-Tokyo Cup Winner
2017 Neo-Tokyo Cup Winner
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Hi everybody!

#5 Post by Tyler »

Brewersfan74 wrote:I'm into board games (love Ascension,Pilars, Belfort, Dominion, Thunderstone, Alien Frontiers, 7 Wonders and the list goes on, lol)
First off, welcome Paul 2! We had some weekly Dominion games over on Isotropic just a few weeks ago, and I wouldn't mind having a few one-off meetups if it looks like we're getting new interest!

I'll always have a soft spot for the Brewers. Y'know, Major League and letting us use the ballpark in 2007 for those games and all. Good team. 8)
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Jason
All-Star
All-Star

#6 Post by Jason »

Welcome! Whether or not you get a team right away I hope you visit and contribute to our forums often. And -- maybe even write some articles covering our league!
Jason Warnke
Former Omaha Cyclones GM
Hartford Harpoon Founder

Forum: 200+
June 8, 2011-2020: 847-800 (Omaha Cyclones)
2021-June 5, 2023: 179-202 (Hartford Harpoon)
Warnke ERA: 1026-1002 (.506)
2015 SL Champions (OMA)
Brewersfan74

#7 Post by Brewersfan74 »

I've only rooted against the Brewers ONCE in my life. Just once! But it was a very special circumstance. I was fortunate enough to see Nolan Ryan (my all-time favorite MLB player) pitch his 300th career win against the Brewers in Milwaukee back in the day. It was thrilling to see history being made. There were tons of camera flashes with every pitch. Otherwise, you can bet I'm pulling for the Brew Crew.

BTW, I'm curious about Isotropic. Is that like Yucata? I play all kinds of board games online at Yucata. My favorite there is Thunderstone. I haven't played Dominion in a while other than my Androminion app for my Droid phone but I'm a fan of the game. I played a game of Ascension (among other things) during game night at my FLGS last Wednesday. I've only been playing board games for about 1.5 years but I've tried a lot of games and look forward to expanding into even more games for 2012. I can't wait for D-Day Dice to come out!

Anyway, thanks for the welcome. I'll be trying to think up a topic for my article to submit. Not sure what to write since I don't really know the teams in this league yet but I'll think of something. Thanks for the warm welcome!
Steel Dragons

#8 Post by Steel Dragons »

Welcome ! How about doing an article of one of the minor leagues? everyone likes reading about the minores, I started by writing about the college leagues before I got my team
Jim

Re: Hi everybody!

#9 Post by Jim »

Brewersfan74 wrote:My name is Paul and I live in NC.
Welcome Paul! Glad to see you on the forums. Good Luck in pursuing involvement with a PEBA team!
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Borealis »

Welcome Paul 2
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#11 Post by Apollos »

Hi Paul, glad to have you aboard - enjoy the PEBAverse!
Brian Hazelwood - GM, Tempe Knights
Neil Thomas

#12 Post by Neil Thomas »

Welcome Paul!
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Denny »

Welcome Paul!

Out of curiosity, how did you become a Brewers fan in North Carolina? Or did you not grow up there?
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
Maulers
All-Star
All-Star

#14 Post by Maulers »

Welcome Paul! ;-D
Jeff Dudas
Head Scout Extraordinaire
Manchester Maulers Baseball Club (2007-2023; 2029-present)
Maine Yank

New kid on the block

#15 Post by Maine Yank »

Hey there I am Maine Yank. I am going to GM the Expos to well I hope the Championships. I am a GM in various other OOTP leagues. Some teams are better than others. I have been a real life Yankee fan since 1960. New kid? I even loved the Yanks in the middle 60's when even the Cleveland Indians beat the Yankees out of the cellar. The "Mick" is my all time favorite ball player. Well let us get this thing going. Thanks for your time , Maine Yank

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”