New members: Introduce yourself in this thread

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: New members: Introduce yourself in this thread

#316 Post by roncollins »

Welcome back, Jim!

Hmmm....we'll have to consider taking the patch off our shoulder now. :)

http://pebabaseball.com/blog/2015/12/23 ... -uniforms/
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions
Double-A

#317 Post by Underground »

I really like that Toyoma logo. And the name Wind Dancers. Looking forward to reading up on the history of the LRS since my departure. The San Juan Coquis logo I found to be top notch in my preferences as well.
Evan Seary
London Underground
Kyle Miller
Little Leaguer
Little Leaguer

#318 Post by Kyle Miller »

Hey, figured it was a writing intensive league so I would write a nice long introduction

My name is Kyle Miller, and I’ll be taking over the Toyama Wind Dancers. I was born in Taiwan (though I am only half Taiwanese), but I moved to the United States, just outside of Philadelphia in particular, when I was 3. My intermediate family never cared about sports, so from a young age I never had any influence to support the Phillies (or any other local team), and I didn’t begin following sports until middle school when I purchased my first madden game, which unbeknownst to me would eventually take me down the massive rabbit hole that would shape my future passions, and completely upend my life.

It all began one Christmas. My parents, well my father, had always been relatively cheap people (though I love them for it), and I had always grown up getting relatively small gifts for birthdays and Christmases, and so if I remember right for my age 14 Christmas when my parents asked what I would like, I not really expecting much, or really caring, figured why not get something new, and so I asked for Madden. My parents, taken aback by my seemingly out of nowhere request, asked me to think about it or at least try it before I purchased it, so I did. I downloaded a demo and me and my neighbor spent many hours playing it, but if you know anything about the old madden demos, they only allowed you to play one or two preselected games, and in the copy I purchased the only game options were the Giants vs 49ers and Redskins vs Seahawks. My neighbor, being a New York Giants fan, would always pick the giants, leaving me with the Niners, and after many weeks of using the playing with the 49ers game after game, learning player’s names by repetition and eventually winning with them, I started to become a big 49ers fan, and that spread throughout the other sports. Soon I started following the Giants and Warriors, and becoming bigger fans of them as well. Though many of the Philadelphia teams have begun drawing me back towards rooting for them and becoming a duel fan.

The biggest impact madden and football had on my life was through fantasy sports and statistics. Soon after discovering football, in general, I began to participate in fantasy sports, and it began to devour my life. With both fantasy baseball and football, I would spend hours looking at players, putting together teams and lineups and building excel sheets to record data, and statistics began to become one of the bright spots of my life. Fast forward 5-6 years and now I’m a freshman majoring in statistics and Data Analytics at Temple University.

But statistics isn’t my only passion. I also am a big fan of politics (minoring in polysci), geography and history. Through high school, I was on the school's trivia team and baseball team. In college I am a member of our school's Model Un club, I’m in many student organizations with the business school, which stat resides in, and I am on an intramural softball and hockey team.

Beyond OOTP, I also like to play Civ5 on my computer, and many board/card/other games with my friends, ranging from Cards against Humanity, to Diplomacy, to Dungeons and Dragons. But most of my free time is spent watching, discussing, or playing sports.

Similarly to the old underground Gm, I will be taking some time to get into this league, and especially my team's history, and while I’ll try to write initially it may take me some time.

Thanks so much for having me,
Kyle Miller
Kyle Miller
Toyama Wind Dancers
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#319 Post by Borealis »

Kyle, bet of luck with the Win-D's!!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#320 Post by Evas »

Welcome aboard, Kyle. Sounds like you are a perfect fit.

I'm sure you'll really enjoy it here. This is a very deep league with some excellent competitors.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#321 Post by Sandgnats »

Kyle,

From one fellow Philadelphian to another, welcome! Go Phils! ;) jk
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Kyle Miller
Little Leaguer
Little Leaguer

#322 Post by Kyle Miller »

I made it to a phils game today, caught a HR with my hat during batting practice

Sadly Bartolo wouldnt sign it
Kyle Miller
Toyama Wind Dancers
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#323 Post by John »

Welcome to a fellow board gamer, RPG-er, and Civilization lover! You'll fit right in here, Kyle. Ron (the Wind Dancer's former GM) did a great job with the team, so you're inheriting a good situation. Enjoy exploring your new franchise! ;-D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#324 Post by Leones »

Welcome Kyle!
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#325 Post by Denny »

Welcome Kyle! I think you'll find you've joined the far superior half of PEBA by taking over a club in the Sovereign League :grin:
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#326 Post by Lions »

Welcome, Kyle!
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Nigel
All-Star
All-Star

#327 Post by Nigel »

I suppose I ought to fill in this form again :-?

Hi ! I'm Nigel and on my whistle stop tour of PEBA franchises I've now worked my way round to Kalamazoo. I'm still in Leeds and am coming up to five years retired now. My mental state is a lot better than it was but I still get quite bleak periods. I've missed you guys and am glad to see there's still a lot of the old guys hanging in here.
So until it's time to move franchises again . . . . .
Nigel Laverick

GM San Antonio Calzones de Laredo 2035 - . . .

Former Commish, PEBA & LRS GM

nigel3123@gmail.com
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#328 Post by Borealis »

It's so good to have you back on board, Nigel!! Good luck in K-Zoo and beat those pesky Pests!!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
kiersteadmo
Double-A
Double-A

#329 Post by kiersteadmo »

Glad to see you back :clap: :clap:
Mark Kierstead II
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#330 Post by Zephyrs »

Nice to see so many returning to the league. Welcome back Nigel.
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”