Anyone Play Dominion?

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

Anyone Play Dominion?

#1 Post by Coqui »

It is a truly addictive game that involves you building a deck of cards and attempting to garner the most points. That short description really doesn't do it justice - there are attack cards that allow you to impede your neighbor and all sorts of complexities. Its a different twist on games than I was accustomed to playing, and really not like much of anything I'd ever played before. It's not a long campaign-type game like some of the ones that it appears that the PEBAites play against each other. You can generally play a game in 20-30 minutes on-line:

http://www.brettspielwelt.de/Hilfe/Anle ... ?nation=en

Because there are several different combinations of cards, no two games are ever the same.

We have the "board" game (it's really not a board game, but you know what I mean) and one of the many expansion sets. It's great fun.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Anyone Play Dominion?

#2 Post by Lions »

I've played several times and like it, although never on line. We have the Intrigue expansion (which can be played as a standalone game). We bought this instead of the regular base game because our most regular gaming friends have the base game and they can be played together. My wife and I are big fans of family board games like the Dominion series as a great thing to do socially with people that's a little more active than just watching a movie together. I had also read that Intrigue is a little more interesting as a two player game.

As for Dominion in particular, it's nice because each game is limited to 10 different types of cards in play, but the game comes with 25. Each combination of 10 plays a little different, some of them quite different, so while the concepts are the same, the strategies change depending on what's in play.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by John »

This looks intriguing. I've never played it before or even heard of it, actually, but I'd certainly be interested in giving it a try. Post in this thread if you'd have an interest in a PEBA Dominion group (friends and family of PEBA members are of course welcome, too).
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by klewis »

Haha you know what is funny? I actually have this game but have not played it before.... I actually have a few board/card games that I have yet to get around too. Even though I have not played it, I can certainly vouch that Dominion has received critical acclaim.

There's a lot of unique and fun games outside of Monopoly, Sorry!, and Pictionary. Dominion is just one example ;-D
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#5 Post by Coqui »

Yeah, on the topic of board games, I can heartily recommend Ticket to Ride, too. The Ticket to Ride: Europe is the second generation of the title, and better than the original (which uses the U.S. map as the gameboard). From a board game perspective, I actually prefer it to Dominion. That's not an indictment of Dominion, mind you, Ticket to Ride may be the best 30-45 minute game that I have ever played. Unfortunately, the Ticket to Ride on-line offering is (a) pay to play, and (b) pretty weak IMHO for several reasons.

Dominion, OTOH, has a very robust on-line gaming platform and community. As far as a PEBA group goes, I don't really know that the web-site is set up for groups, per se. When I played 1 game late last night, I logged on as the 'CantonLongshoremen'. I have never signed up for an account on BSW's website, I just sign in as an unregistered user and play every once in a while.

The next time that I am on, I will troll around over here and see if anyone is interested. There is a (slight) learning curve that is probably a bit steeper on-line if you have never played the 'board' game, and I would be happy to play a slow 'tutorial' game with anyone who wants to learn and play, and help you learn the ins and outs vis a vis the game's chat feature.

We have the original game and the Intrigue version at home, and I have played with some the Seaside and other expansion sets on-line.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Tyler »

Oh my god, guys. Oh my god. I am obsessed with Dominion. :-B

I highly recommend Isotropic as the online platform to use for Dominion. You don't have to register (but it's easy to do through either your Google or Yahoo! ID), and the interface is extremely user-friendly. It also has a great setup that makes it easy to play online against strangers.

The great thing about Dominion is that it's a highly complex, strategically fascinating game with a very low learning curve. It only takes about two games to shed the "beginner" feel. Sure, it takes forever to become a true master of the game, but that low learning curve means you can be up and running in no time. It is a little trickier to learn online if you've never played the physical game, but I recommend doing so.

Physically, I've played with Base, Intrigue, and Prosperity. Online, I've used cards from the other sets as well.

If you're ever on Isotropic, I'm "Voltaire" and you're highly likely to see me. I'd love to play anyone from the PEBA any time!

Tomorrow, I already have plans to host a Dominion tournament at my house. Seeing this post made two of my worlds collide. :geek:
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#7 Post by Coqui »

Alleghenies wrote:Oh my god, guys. Oh my god. I am obsessed with Dominion. :-B

I highly recommend Isotropic as the online platform to use for Dominion. You don't have to register (but it's easy to do through either your Google or Yahoo! ID), and the interface is extremely user-friendly. It also has a great setup that makes it easy to play online against strangers.

The great thing about Dominion is that it's a highly complex, strategically fascinating game with a very low learning curve. It only takes about two games to shed the "beginner" feel. Sure, it takes forever to become a true master of the game, but that low learning curve means you can be up and running in no time. It is a little trickier to learn online if you've never played the physical game, but I recommend doing so.

Physically, I've played with Base, Intrigue, and Prosperity. Online, I've used cards from the other sets as well.

If you're ever on Isotropic, I'm "Voltaire" and you're highly likely to see me. I'd love to play anyone from the PEBA any time!

Tomorrow, I already have plans to host a Dominion tournament at my house. Seeing this post made two of my worlds collide. :geek:
Hmmmmm. I have never user isotropic before to play Dominion. I will have to sign on one of these days and use 'CantonLongshoremen' as my handle so that we can tangle.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Tyler »

I'm on Isotropic right now, if anyone wants to play.
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Bill »

I played a couple solitaire games tonight just to try it out. I can see how it would get addictive. I enjoyed myself.

Oh, and I won both times :wink:
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#10 Post by John »

Warriors wrote:I played a couple solitaire games tonight just to try it out. I can see how it would get addictive. I enjoyed myself.

Does that mean you'd be interested in joining in a PEBA game of Dominion, Bill? I'd love to get you signed up along with me, James, Tyler, Frank and Kevin (if they're interested), and anyone else who'd like to join in. :D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Bill »

sure, why not...
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Tyler »

PEBA Commissioner wrote:
Warriors wrote:I played a couple solitaire games tonight just to try it out. I can see how it would get addictive. I enjoyed myself.

Does that mean you'd be interested in joining in a PEBA game of Dominion, Bill? I'd love to get you signed up along with me, James, Tyler, Frank and Kevin (if they're interested), and anyone else who'd like to join in. :D
Just so you know, the games do have a 4-player limit. But if we scheduled a night to play, we could easily do a round-robin tournament of a sort. Games are typically 15-30 minutes. 2 and 3-player games are also possible.

The more the merrier! 8)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#13 Post by John »

Alleghenies wrote:Just so you know, the games do have a 4-player limit. But if we scheduled a night to play, we could easily do a round-robin tournament of a sort. Games are typically 15-30 minutes. 2 and 3-player games are also possible.

The more the merrier! 8)
A round-robin tournament sounds like fun! Looks like we have enough to play a game one way or another, but let's see if we can secure eight commitments. If so, we'll run two sessions concurrently.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Tyler »

The draft just ended, so while you wait for the league file, why not join me in a game of Dominion over on Isotropic? I'll be "Voltaire" waiting in the Secret Chamber (the one for meeting friends).
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Tyler »

I'll be online (on Isotropic (you don't even have to register!), waiting in the Secret Chamber) for the next few hours waiting to play Dominion with anyone who is interested! Have some fun before the new league file tonight. :grin:
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”