PEBA Diplomacy Game Two - Planning Thread

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

PEBA Diplomacy Game Two - Planning Thread

#1 Post by Lions »

Please post here if you're interested in playing, even if you've posted in another thread or expressed interest to me in PM. If we get more than 7, we'll worry about who doesn't play at that time. I'll add people to this list as they post in the thread.

Also, please review the Online Diplomacy Options from our original thread and post your top 2 preferences, in order. My preference is to try playDiplomacy or the DPJudge, in that order.

Interested players:
Frank
Bill
Jim
Duane
Tyler
Dan
Mark

Alt: Kevin
Last edited by Lions on Wed May 25, 2011 12:29 am, edited 5 times in total.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: PEBA Diplomacy Game Two - Planning Thread

#2 Post by Bill »

I'm interested this time around.

I vote:
webDiplomacy
playDiplomacy

in that order. webDiplomacy just looks cooler to me. I didn't really look much at the features.
Jim

#3 Post by Jim »

I'd like to give it a try. I'm hoping it's not too much of a time drain. As long as I can keep it to about 1/2 hour per day I think I'll be able to be active.
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Duane »

I would like to learn to play so if there is room please count me in.

Webdiplomacy seems to be geared to my inexperienced level but in all I really don't have a preferance at this time.
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Tyler »

I would love to play again.

My votes would be for
1. webDiplomacy
2. playDiplomacy
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Lions »

Still looking for some more folks to sign up... in the meantime, I've looked more in depth at each of the possible hosts.

Ok, I registered at a couple of sites and reviewed the game creation screens as well as some other options. I haven't reviewed the order submittal process as I haven't joined any games.

Web Diplomacy:
I know a lot of you like this because it looks easy, but I think this site is really not up to par with some of the others. The forums include users complaining they can't figure out how to get an email when the turn is processed. You can't set up different time frames for diplomatic phases and build/retreat phases. I'm a bit down on this one.

Play Diplomacy:
This site appears good to me. Anyone can see the current status of your game, as well as all past moves. The graphics are good, and when you review a past game turn, you get arrows as well as textual descriptions of what happened with every order submitted. You have to get a premium account to play a game where orders are processed when everyone approves them - so we'd be stuck to the full timeline for each phase, but we can set different time frames for diplomacy, build, and retreat phases. You can even set it up to let users submit their preference for which nation they want, which means you may or may not get your choice depending on if anyone else chose it. This would be my choice.

DPJudge:
This is how I learned to play. It still doesn't appear to have a graphical web interface for entering orders, that's only done through text (web form or email), which really does force you to learn what you're doing. It'll tell you if it can't process your order, but a point & click process would be much easier. There is a web interface for seeing the map and reviewing past moves with basic graphics. It's extremely flexible with handling replacements of players who've abandoned or adjusting the communication settings on the fly. You can even manually adjust the turn timer to give people more time if needed, or to reset it to a standard time after each move phase. We could get a neutral game master (GM) who would manage the game for us, thereby providing a little flexibility if we run into issues.

Bounced:
The graphics and web interface leave a lot to be desired compared to some of the others. The real problem, though, is that I couldn't figure out how to start a game of my own. We'd have to use a GM and I can't figure out how we'd tell the GM we all want to play together.

Diplomatic Corp:
This appears to combine some of the nice web interfaces of the others with the GM aspect. Web site is easy to navigate although the maps are more basic. Like Bounced, I couldn't figure out how to start my own game with just our group.

Stabberfou:
This looks great for advanced players, and it would be good for newer players wanting to become advanced players, but it's not as accessible as some of the other sites since there's no graphical input. Not a bad option, though.
Frank Esselink
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Bill »

Thanks for the legwork. I can vouch that playDiplomacy is pretty easy to use. Orders are submitted though a graphical interface - you click on a unit, then click Hold or where you want to move, then you submit your whole turn. No text entry required.

I think we should choose that one as well then.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by John »

playDiplomacy definitely sounds like the site to use.

How many players aren't returning from Game 1? I see Bill, Jim and Duane are volunteering to join in, and Frank and Tyler want to play again. That's at least five players right there. I'm sure at least two of the unspoken-for original five players would like to play.

Frank, why don't you send out a PM to those five checking on their interest? Best to be proactive about these things. :D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by DanD »

If I'm needed to fill out a roster, I will play again. I just want to make sure all newcomers get a shot at a spot first ;-D I will also have to set up a system to make sure I remember to make all my turns. :P

It sounds like playDiplomacy should be our next stop Host-wise.
Dan DiVincenzo
GM of Okinawa Shisa
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by klewis »

I'm willing to throw my name in the hat, if there are no other willing participants. I learned a lot from my first go around and that should make the game more enjoyable for me the second time around.

But the main reason for not jumping into Game Two was I didn't really like the pacing of the game. I was thinking a campaign would take under 2 weeks or so. But I will gladly join in if you need a live body ;-D
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Mike Branda

#11 Post by Mike Branda »

Sorry for my late late response,

I was waiting to see Kind of what other site we will be using.

I will join game 2 :)
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Leones »

I won't be taking part in round two. I've got a couple GMT wargames taking up my extra gaming time. (Empire of the Sun and Fighting Formations) Diplomacy is fun but I need some meat with my veggies. :)
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Mike Dunn »

I will also not be taking part, unless you're stuck for a 7th. Thanks.
Mike Dunn

Former GM, Niihama-Shi Ghosts (2011-2019)
Record (9 seasons): 662-634
Division Titles: 1
Playoff Appearances: 3
Neo Tokyo Cup Appearances: 1
LRS Championships: 0
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#14 Post by John »

With Dan, Kevin and Mark signaling interest, we seem to be up to eight players. That's more than enough to start a second game. Of course, there's still room for anyone who is interested. :D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Lions »

Ok, I set up a game on Play Diplomacy. The game name is PEBA2 and the password is 'baseball'. You're allowed to set up to three preferences for which nation you play when you join the game.

For now, I've added Dan and Mark to the list and have Kevin as an alternate because he was a bit concerned about the length of the game. I actually think this game may be slightly longer since we've got strict deadlines of 24 hours for the orders phase, and 12 hours for build and retreat phases. The game will not update until the time is up, as far as I understand. Hopefully, this will allow us a little more time and incentive for actual discussions with our counterparts!

Once you register at Play Diplomacy, click on Games, then Join Game.
Frank Esselink

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”