An apple a day: My personal ranking of apple varieties

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: An apple a day: My personal ranking of apple varieties

#61 Post by John »

Here's the best news about being a fan of the Delicious family of apples: There's nowhere to go but up. ;)

Speaking of "up", the number of ranked apples in the list found in the first post of this thread is up to 94! I've been editing my list as we approach full-on apple season. Here are some of the latest additions:
  • Red Transparent (1.5, #82) - A variation of the far superior Yellow Transparent (or just "Transparent"), Red Transparent is a typical low-end summer apple that's really only suited for sauce-making.
  • Tydeman's Red (1.5, #79) - Same story as Red Transparent; a mushy summer sauce apple.
  • Redfree (2.5, #55) - A step above the previous two thanks to its admirable crispness, but it's just too bland to recommend for eating out of hand.
  • Saint Edmund's Pippin (7.5, #19) - Now we're talking! I love russety apples! SEP reminds me of Esopus Spitzenburg (7, #20), which in turn is (to me) a lesser version of the mighty Cox's Orange Pippin (9, #7). I think I like SEP a titch better than Esopus. Definitely an apple I'd have again.
Apple season starts in earnest in mid-September. However, some of the very best apples (like Zestar! and Burgundy) are available right now, and they're only out there for another week or so. If you would like to increase your apple IQ, I suggest getting out to your local farmer's market this weekend and sampling the wares. You can do better than Golden Delicious... yes, even you, Paul Tanner! :P
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#62 Post by Reg »

Interestingly enough there is an orchard about 20 miles from me that is called Tanner's Orchard. They do make killer apple cider, especially when chilled. I may have to investigate to see what apples they have for sale over the next few weeks!!
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#63 Post by Bill »

ahhh....I miss living in a place where apples grow. We get some trucked down from the mtns, but it isn't the same. Variaties are pretty limited here in NC (now, peaches - that's another story...). Nevertheless, I'll give the farmer's market a try tomorrow armed with your list.
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#64 Post by Bill »

Went to the farmers market today. Disappointed in the available apples, mostly store varieties. I found one stand that had what they called Rustic Red and Rustic Golden. Never heard of them so i gave they a try. The red ones were a little soft and bland for my taste, but the golden ones were sweet and crisp. I bought a bag to make sauce tomorrow.

Interesting, I did not find that variety in your linked website. I wonder if they are related to the golden russet kind you like.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#65 Post by John »

Warriors wrote:Went to the farmers market today. Disappointed in the available apples, mostly store varieties. I found one stand that had what they called Rustic Red and Rustic Golden. Never heard of them so i gave they a try. The red ones were a little soft and bland for my taste, but the golden ones were sweet and crisp. I bought a bag to make sauce tomorrow.

Interesting, I did not find that variety in your linked website. I wonder if they are related to the golden russet kind you like.
Interesting indeed. I did some research on this names, and I believe them to be made up by the orchard selling the apple (like what's mentioned in this article). There certainly isn't any official apple names "Rustic Red" or "Rustic Golden". Orchards will give their own made-up names to apples for a variety of reasons. For example, one orchard near where I live gave the name "Cardinal" to the apple that is more commonly known as "Autumn Crisp" (8, #17). The reason is that back when the orchard started selling the apple, it had not yet received an official name, instead going by its developmental name "NY 674". People tend not to buy apples with names like "NY 674", so the orchard chose "Cardinal" as a name with market appeal. When the "Autumn Crisp" name became official, the orchard retained the name "Cardinal" because customers had come to know the apple by that name.

By the way, I'll be making a trip to the Plant Genetic Resources Unit Geneva, NY this Friday for their open house featuring all kinds of unique apples, some of which aren't yet released to the public. I hope to greatly add to my list of ranked apples shortly! ;-D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#66 Post by Denny »

This past weekend I went to the Minnesota State Fair, an annual tradition of mine. In the Agricultural Building there is always a section devoted to apples, each day of the fair featuring a different apple developed in Minnesota. The day I was there the Beacon variety was on offer. Not wanting to carry a bag of apples around the fair with me all day, I passed on buying any :,-( but did get a cup of their fresh-made cider, which was fantastic.
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
Jim

#67 Post by Jim »

As I was sitting in the McDonald's drive thru recently, I recalled this thread and realized that I've missed a large portion of the apple season without looking up some of these varieties. I hope it's not too late to find some interesting new (to me) varieties to try.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#68 Post by John »

Cliff Hangers wrote:As I was sitting in the McDonald's drive thru recently, I recalled this thread and realized that I've missed a large portion of the apple season without looking up some of these varieties. I hope it's not too late to find some interesting new (to me) varieties to try.
It's definitely not too late! In fact, this week is really the true opening of "apple season" as most people count it. So get out there this weekend and explore your local farmer's market! Print out my list and use it as a reference, if you like; it's updated constantly. :)

Speaking of new apples, more have been added to the list! Let's review the newcomers:
  • Milton (1.5, #78) - If you're a fan of McIntosh (and you shouldn't be), you might enjoy this indistinct early season variety. For those of us who value flavor and crispness, though, there's nothing to see here.
  • Twenty Ounce Pippin (4.5, #37) - Okay, now this is a kinda groovy apple. Don't be put off by the fact that I "only" gave it a 4.5; that's a solid rating coming from me. The Twenty Ounce Pippen is still very much an early season apple (you can tell by the lack of crispness and the short growing season), but it has an appealing tartness to it. That's not what really makes ol' TOP stand out, though. This thing is ginormous! You're going to need help finishing it! It's worth finding someone to share it with. I'd also recommend TOP as a great baking apple.
  • Crimson Crisp (6, #28) - Now we're seeing the first of the main season apples. Crimson Crisp is a newer variety that hales from that includes Rome and Golden Delicious, two of my most despised apples. Just goes to show that you can't always judge an apple by its parents (and to be fair, the excellent Jonathan apple is also a parent). Crimson Crisp has just as much bite as the name implies. I like a hard apple, and Crimson Crisp delivers. But while some apples have great crunch and little flavor, Crimson Crisp has a zesty, tropical taste. It reminds me of a Gala that isn't soft and doesn't suck. Definitely worth your time.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#69 Post by John »

Apple enthusiast blog Adam's Apples is a great site to get information about all the wonderful secrets and flavors of the apple world. A little while back, they ran an article for those poor souls (I'm looking at you, Paul!) who actually like Red Delicious apples. Check the first post of this thread and you'll discover just how much disdain I have for this bland, mushy apple. My burning hate for it is so great that I created a special "9th Layer of Hell" tier just for Red Delicious and Rome. Red Delicious is detested by every farmer I've met, but they have to grow them because they're the biggest seller. Farmers will happily sell you their Red Delicious crop, but they wouldn't dream of eating Red Delicious. The reason for Red Delicious' popularity is probably because a.) they have that classic red apple look, b.) they're so ubiquitous, and c.) having grown up on Red Delicious, people are afraid to branch out to something else they may not like.

Adam suggests alternatives for Red Delicious lovers. Now I've tried all his alternatives except Dayton and Spartan, and honestly, I can't recommend any of them with the exception of the very expensive and kind of overrated (but still very good) Honeycrisp, but I can understand why he's suggesting these. All of them are sweet, mild, and soft (Honeycrisp excepted). These are all traits shared by Red Delicious, making these apples good for the Red Delicious lover who wishes to "step up his game to the next level" without breaking the mold and moving into crisp, tart, complex flavor apple land.

Amongst his suggestions, I would suggest steering clear of Ambrosia and Sonya (two awful club variates). I would also avoid Empire, Mollie's Delicious, or McIntosh (too boring and mushy). And forget about Fuji; they're in every store, and you can do so much better. Honeycrisp and Mutsu (sometimes called "Crispin") are both readily available and fine step-ups from Red Delicious. Ginger Gold and Enterprise are acceptable alternatives, as well.

Peruse Adam's Apples if you get a chance. It may encourage you to seek out new apples now that the full season is upon us. Get out there and explore your apple world!
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#70 Post by John »

I've reached a milestone in my apple obsession. Over the weekend, I taste-tested my 100th apple variety. That apple #100 earned a spot in the "Dear God..." tier bothers me not at all; every new apple is a pleasure to try, regardless of its ultimate quality. Here are reviews of the latest apples to be added to the rankings:
  • Auvil Early Fuji (1, #92 - 100th apple taste-tested) - Fujis... bah! Thanks to their commercial popularity, there's a gazillion of these mutant cultivars. The best of them barely rise to the level of acceptability, and Auvil Early Fuji ain't amongst the best.
  • Sweet Sixteen (3, #48) - Dear God, that's sweet. We're talking saccharine-sweet here, as in way to sappy for my tastes. U. of Minnesota sure likes to develop sweet apples. Honeycrisp manages to avoid crossing the line into gimmick territory. Sweet Sixteen obliterates that line.
  • Rubinola (4, #40) - Gotta love a Czech-developed apple. Rubinola isn't too bad, actually. It has great crunchiness, but it's just not flavorful enough to recommend.
I should also note that Jonathan got a bump-up from #10 (9 out of 10) to #4 (10 our of 10) over the weekend, making it the seventh apple to join the "Best of the Best" tier. Jonathan is simply one of the best apples out there, and it's one you may be able to find at a local orchard (more on that in a second).

This weekend, I expect to add no less than four new varieties to my list. Exciting times for an apple nut!

I know that not all of you have access to local growers of unique, non-commercial apple varieties. A lot of you are still stuck buying your apples from the supermarket. Because my heart bleeds for you, let me offer this buying guide. It contains suggestions for apple varieties to target in your supermarket. Supermarkets only carry the most commercial of varieties, and since their apples are shipped from all over the country and world, their decidedly inferior to the very same apple picked locally. Still, beggars can't be choosers. If I can at least steer you away from the Deliciouses and Fujis of the world, I will have done a service. I'm also including suggestions for varieties to look for if you have a local orchard that's commercially focused but perhaps features an expanded menu. Note that even if your local orchard is selling the same varieties as the supermarket, you're much better off buying from the orchard. Local apples taste so much better, it's not even funny.

Supermarket Apples to Target
  • Braeburn - One of the crispiest apples out there. I know McIntosh is an old-school classic for some, but I say don't settle for mushy apples like that. You gotta love that hard snap! that you get from a great crisp apple like Braeburn.
  • Granny Smith - True, a store-bought Granny Smith ain't nothing compared to a locally grown one, but at least you can sample Granny's oh-so-tart flavor. This may be a challenge for some of you. Most people are trained to expect sweetness from their apples. They're missing out on some exquisite tart-, nut- and vinous-flavored apples.
  • Honeycrisp (seasonal) - Consumers gobble them up, so every supermarket is going to stock them while they're in season. They'll also charge an arm and a leg since they know consumers will pay the premium. Honeycrisp is a bit overrated, but it's still the best sweet apple out there. If you're not ready to try different flavors of apples, you can't beat a Honeycrisp.
  • Pink Lady - You'll enjoy displaying these uniquely shaded apples in your home. If only the taste was as punchy as their look! Still, they have a non-offensive flavor to go along with nice crispness.
  • Tentation (seasonal) - The only club variety I'll recommend. Tentation is a relatively new apple that has a similar profile to Pink Lady - crisp with a hint of tangy flavor to it.
Orchard Apples to Target
  • GoldRush - Are you ready for the mother of all tart apples? GoldRush is not for those who expect apples to be perfectly shaped, shiny, and firehouse red. It's an ugly duckling of apples - runty, russety, and dull yellow. It's also one of the best-tasting apples on the planet.
  • Jonathan - A classic tart apple. Parent to some of the better new varieties out there.
  • Stayman Winesap - Probably your lone chance to sample a vinous-flavored apple if you don't have an antique apple grower in your area. Stayman is a little soft but makes up with it with flavor that is second to none.
  • Zestar! - A bit of a reach, as Zestar! is new and not carried by tons of orchards. Still, its growing popularity has it on a growing number of orchard menus, and that popularity is well deserved. Zestar! has a very unique, spicy aftertaste that you really need to experience to understand.
  • Northern Spy - Delightfully tangy and crisp. Another apple that has spawned some of the better new varieties of apples.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#71 Post by John »

I've reached a milestone in my apple obsession. Over the weekend, I taste-tested my 100th apple variety. That apple #100 earned a spot in the "Dear God..." tier bothers me not at all; every new apple is a pleasure to try, regardless of its ultimate quality. Here are reviews of the latest apples to be added to the rankings:
  • Auvil Early Fuji (1, #92 - 100th apple taste-tested) - Fujis... bah! Thanks to their commercial popularity, there's a gazillion of these mutant cultivars. The best of them barely rise to the level of acceptability, and Auvil Early Fuji ain't amongst the best.
  • Sweet Sixteen (3, #48) - Dear God, that's sweet. We're talking saccharine-sweet here, as in way to sappy for my tastes. U. of Minnesota sure likes to develop sweet apples. Honeycrisp manages to avoid crossing the line into gimmick territory. Sweet Sixteen obliterates that line.
  • Rubinola (4, #40) - Gotta love a Czech-developed apple. Rubinola isn't too bad, actually. It has great crunchiness, but it's just not flavorful enough to recommend.
I should also note that Jonathan got a bump-up from #10 (9 out of 10) to #4 (10 our of 10) over the weekend, making it the seventh apple to join the "Best of the Best" tier. Jonathan is simply one of the best apples out there, and it's one you may be able to find at a local orchard (more on that in a second).

This weekend, I expect to add no less than four new varieties to my list. Exciting times for an apple nut!

I know that not all of you have access to local growers of unique, non-commercial apple varieties. A lot of you are still stuck buying your apples from the supermarket. Because my heart bleeds for you, let me offer this buying guide. It contains suggestions for apple varieties to target in your supermarket. Supermarkets only carry the most commercial of varieties, and since their apples are shipped from all over the country and world, their decidedly inferior to the very same apple picked locally. Still, beggars can't be choosers. If I can at least steer you away from the Deliciouses and Fujis of the world, I will have done a service. I'm also including suggestions for varieties to look for if you have a local orchard that's commercially focused but perhaps features an expanded menu. Note that even if your local orchard is selling the same varieties as the supermarket, you're much better off buying from the orchard. Local apples taste so much better, it's not even funny.

Supermarket Apples to Target
  • Braeburn - One of the crispiest apples out there. I know McIntosh is an old-school classic for some, but I say don't settle for mushy apples like that. You gotta love that hard snap! that you get from a great crisp apple like Braeburn.
  • Granny Smith - True, a store-bought Granny Smith ain't nothing compared to a locally grown one, but at least you can sample Granny's oh-so-tart flavor. This may be a challenge for some of you. Most people are trained to expect sweetness from their apples. They're missing out on some exquisite tart-, nut- and vinous-flavored apples.
  • Honeycrisp (seasonal) - Consumers gobble them up, so every supermarket is going to stock them while they're in season. They'll also charge an arm and a leg since they know consumers will pay the premium. Honeycrisp is a bit overrated, but it's still the best sweet apple out there. If you're not ready to try different flavors of apples, you can't beat a Honeycrisp.
  • Pink Lady - You'll enjoy displaying these uniquely shaded apples in your home. If only the taste was as punchy as their look! Still, they have a non-offensive flavor to go along with nice crispness.
  • Tentation (seasonal) - The only club variety I'll recommend. Tentation is a relatively new apple that has a similar profile to Pink Lady - crisp with a hint of tangy flavor to it.
Orchard Apples to Target
  • GoldRush - Are you ready for the mother of all tart apples? GoldRush is not for those who expect apples to be perfectly shaped, shiny, and firehouse red. It's an ugly duckling of apples - runty, russety, and dull yellow. It's also one of the best-tasting apples on the planet.
  • Jonathan - A classic tart apple. Parent to some of the better new varieties out there.
  • Stayman Winesap - Probably your lone chance to sample a vinous-flavored apple if you don't have an antique apple grower in your area. Stayman is a little soft but makes up with it with flavor that is second to none.
  • Zestar! - A bit of a reach, as Zestar! is new and not carried by tons of orchards. Still, its growing popularity has it on a growing number of orchard menus, and that popularity is well deserved. Zestar! has a very unique, spicy aftertaste that you really need to experience to understand.
  • Northern Spy - Delightfully tangy and crisp. Another apple that has spawned some of the better new varieties of apples.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Neil Thomas

#72 Post by Neil Thomas »

I have never seen someone love apples as much as John does, but its all about the little things in life. Great food is so good for the soul. There are a lot of organic farms around where I live and we get some good shipments of fruit from the northwest, especially apples. I like Jonathan apples because they tend to be a nice size, not too big and very tasty. I will keep my eyes open for some varieties I havent tasted. I am a huge Apple sauce fan also.
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#73 Post by Lions »

I managed to pick up some Zestar at our farmer's market last week. Not bad. This thread has also taught me that I really don't care for apples nearly as much as John. I've tried several varieties recommended here, but they've never really done it for me the way a juicy peach can. The Portland farmers markets have some dang good peaches, but alas their time is now done.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#74 Post by John »

Ah, see, that's why it's better to be an apple man... longer seasons! ;) But seriously, nothing wrong with preferring peaches. As long as you're into healthy foods and not the processed junk that's foisted upon us by the food industry, you're in good shape (literally!). ;-D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Daniel Diemer

#75 Post by Daniel Diemer »

We stopped at a couple orchards on the way back through Michigan this weekend. Definitely outstanding apples. :)

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”