PEBACiv - Game 2

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

PEBACiv - Game 2

#1 Post by John »

The PEBACiv Civilization V multiplayer group began their second game this evening. For those looking to follow the action. here are this game's settings:
  • Map: Small Continents
    • World Age: Random
    • Temperature: Random
    • Rainfall: Random
    • Sea Level: Random
    • Resources: Random
  • Map Size: Small
  • # of Players: 6 human, 0 AI
  • # of Teams: 0 (free-for-all)
  • # of City States: 6
  • Game Speed: Standard
  • Era: Ancient
  • Difficulty: Prince
  • Special Settings:
    • Turn Timer Enabled
    • Raging Barbarians
And here's a screenshot of the scoreboard after 85 turns of play:

As you can see, I have led the Songhai empire to a tied-for-last-place start. We do have one heck of a GREAT Library, though ;) I share a border with the Indians. I have found their leader, Mohandas Gandhi (who also goes by the name "Michael"), to be quite an upstanding fellow. I believe we shall have peace in our time. I have also begun trading with the Iroqouis, led by a mysterious man named "Jim". I hear tell of other civilizations in the world, but so far the Songhai have not met them. Perhaps we shall during our next session on Monday night.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: PEBACiv - Game 2

#2 Post by Bill »

The small continents have made this pretty tricky. I know my starting spot, while chock full o' incense, is not real ideal. But alas, we progress as a civilization with large pyramids of stone to stamp our mark on the annals of time. Way more impressive than a stupid old library if you ask me :)
Mike Branda

#3 Post by Mike Branda »

I was lucky to have a large piece of land alone to myself and have started a pretty nice navy :)
James Bowman

#4 Post by James Bowman »

A free-for-all! Sweet. 8)
Jason
All-Star
All-Star

#5 Post by Jason »

No one civ is dominating yet. This is cool.
Jason Warnke
Former Omaha Cyclones GM
Hartford Harpoon Founder

Forum: 200+
June 8, 2011-2020: 847-800 (Omaha Cyclones)
2021-June 5, 2023: 179-202 (Hartford Harpoon)
Warnke ERA: 1026-1002 (.506)
2015 SL Champions (OMA)
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Hitmen »

Cyclones wrote:No one civ is dominating yet. This is cool.
What are you talking about?! My 1 point lead obviously demonstrates my dominance! :cry: :eek:
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Lions »

I really wish I could commit to playing in these. If I were on the east coast, no problem, but 5-8 Pacific is right during dinner and the only time of the day I have with my daughter.

I did get thwomped by a combined Iroqois/Greek onslaught in my solo game last night. However, I managed to pull an Operation Viper* and stay in it for a bit. So my wife says to me, "Did you jump a few too many difficulty levels?". Thanks a lot!

*Operation Viper is a gaming term coined by a friend of mine during my first ever Command & Conquer Red Alert game as a freshman in college (yes, this dates me a bit). My opponent was quite experienced, and I had never played before, so there was a large contingent at my computer giving me advice. None of them had played either. It refers to having your entire base wiped out, but taking one or two units off to a remote area of the map to hide. The original Operation Viper occurred in a 1 on 1 game where, being very new to C&C RA, I saw my opponents 9 strong batallion of mamoth tanks approaching my base and thought, these guys are doomed! I shall nuke them to oblivion with the nuke I've been building up for ages. The nuke went down, a giant mushroom cloud went up, and all those mammoth tanks stood there little worse for the wear. "Ha ha!" went my opponent, who proceeded to wipe out my base with much glee.

Naturally, I did what anyone else would've done in this situation. I took 4 or 5 infantry and hid them behind pine trees in remote corners of the map. "Why aren't you dead yet?" went my opponent. "Ha ha!" went I. Trying to find an infantryman hidden behind a pine tree in this game was not easy, and as the game wore on with my small band of mercenaries, my opponent grew more and more irritated. For those of you who don't remember or have never played C&C RA, occasionally the game would spawn little wooden crates around the map that when you moved a unit onto them, would gift you some cash or a military unit. When your base was wiped out, you had a chance of getting a new mobile command center that would let you start a new base. Of course, I didn't discover this until about 2 hours after Operation Viper commenced, by which point my opponent was pretty dang ticked when he found me, and I didn't last much longer after that.

It wasn't long before I had successful Operation Vipers, where I had been completely wiped out but came back to win the game, but that usually happened in larger games where other opponents were busy battling each other while I built my way back in it.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Bill »

Operation Viper....rofl... :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, once you get above Prince, the AI will gang up on you. Really that's the part that makes it harder - the AI goes out of its way to screw you. Some civs are worse than others about it.

Overall as a group, we got pretty weak civs. That plus the terrain has stifled growth and led to the parity in scores I think. I'm still a little surprised nobody wanted to pick a civ, if only to make sure they didn't get the same one.

I think we'll see a little more action in the next round when armies get a little stronger.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by John »

I'm actually considering a less militaristic approach this game. Gandhi seems to be minding his own business on his side of the island. I've engaged in trade with the Iroquois. We may be able to get along, at least for awhile. Now what will happen when the Songhai begin to meet these rumored other civilizations floating around out there? That's a whole 'nother ballgame. :twisted:
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Jim

#10 Post by Jim »

Warriors wrote:I'm still a little surprised nobody wanted to pick a civ
I thought about picking Germany when I saw there were raging barbarians, since they get a barbarian bonus. But there have not been as many barbarians as I expected. I find the Iroqouis a very interesting civ. The forest tiles acting as roads have turned out more useful than I first anticipated.
Jim

#11 Post by Jim »

Oh Boy! I just realized it's Civ night. Almost forgot about it.
Mike Branda

#12 Post by Mike Branda »

well it depends on the map, if we have a large map with no city states then i would pick a nation :)
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#13 Post by John »

A few items for tonight's Civ V gaming session:
  • As reported here in the forums, a new Civ V patch has been released. It would be wise to boot up Civ V in advance of tonight's session so that Steam has time to patch your install. I'll be doing that myself as soon as I get home tonight.
  • If you've read the full patch change list, you know that there are a lot of tweaks to the game made by this patch. Undoubtedly, some of those tweaks will impact our in-progress game. Be prepared to adjust your strategies to account for the new workings of the game.
  • Michael will not be able to attend tonight's session. The plan is for his brother Tom to fill in for him. I have been receiving conflicting reports about how well Civ V allows for a player to be filled in for and later resume his position in a game. We're going to try it out tonight and I think we shouldn't have a problem. However, if we discover we cannot sub in for Michael without him permanently losing his spot in the game, tonight's session will be canceled. I do not think this will end up being necessary, but I want to warn you just in case.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Mike Branda

#14 Post by Mike Branda »

PEBA Commissioner wrote:A few items for tonight's Civ V gaming session:
  • As reported here in the forums, a new Civ V patch has been released. It would be wise to boot up Civ V in advance of tonight's session so that Steam has time to patch your install. I'll be doing that myself as soon as I get home tonight.
  • If you've read the full patch change list, you know that there are a lot of tweaks to the game made by this patch. Undoubtedly, some of those tweaks will impact our in-progress game. Be prepared to adjust your strategies to account for the new workings of the game.
  • Michael will not be able to attend tonight's session. The plan is for his brother Tom to fill in for him. I have been receiving conflicting reports about how well Civ V allows for a player to be filled in for and later resume his position in a game. We're going to try it out tonight and I think we shouldn't have a problem. However, if we discover we cannot sub in for Michael without him permanently losing his spot in the game, tonight's session will be canceled. I do not think this will end up being necessary, but I want to warn you just in case.

I ran my Steam but never noticed an update
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#15 Post by John »

Crushers wrote:I ran my Steam but never noticed an update
Load up Civ V and, when you reach the intro menu page, look at the bottom of the screen. You should see a version number there. If you're on a PC, that version number should read "1.0.1.135". The Mac version is lagging behind at version 1.0.0.621a, so you'll need to be on a PC tonight, Mark, to be able to connect to our game.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”