Frozen Synapse - Indie turn-based combat game

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Frozen Synapse - Indie turn-based combat game

#1 Post by John »

I seem to be be on an indie gaming promotion kick. After touting the awesome "pay what you want" Humble Indie Bundle, I'm now spotlighting a project in development that will be released later this year: Frozen Synapse.

I just saw the preview video for this game. Now I know several of you have expressed your love of the old classic X-COM. If you liked X-COM, then Frozen Synapse looks to be right up your alley. It features the same style of turn-based combat, and it does so using an abstract but very sleek-looking interface. The "terrain" - which consists of abstract blocks - is destructable a la X-COM, allowing for all kinds of advanced tactical considerations.

Best of all? The game features full multiplayer support, something X-COM never had. It even includes built-in IRC for easy communication. I cannot tell you how much I've lusted after a quality multiplayer turn-based combat game!

Frozen Synapse comes in both Mac and PC flavors. Order one and you receive access to both versions. System requirements are quite reasonable, too, so you needn't worry about your old system keeping you out of the fight.

As mentioned, the full version of Frozen Synapse won't be released until later this year. However, those ordering now will gain immediate access to the beta version of the game. Multiplayer is currently fully functional in the beta version, and new builds are being released at intervals.

Order Frozen Synapse here and support a quality indie developer! The basic package costs $26. Two alternate packages with some little goodies each run $35. Who knows? If it turns out there's some interest, we might just get a few PEBA Frozen Synapse games going. :grin:
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Mike Branda

Re: Frozen Synapse - Indie turn-based combat game

#2 Post by Mike Branda »

very nice will look into this
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Bill »

That promo is wicked cool, and they have a Mac version. Thanks for hooking us up with this John.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by John »

Warriors wrote:That promo is wicked cool, and they have a Mac version. Thanks for hooking us up with this John.
Isn't it, though? I thought the music for the video was just outstanding, too. Seems like they're putting a premium on that area. People who order the $35 bundle receive a special music pack. Normally I wouldn't be too interested in something like that, but I was really digging that synth tune in the demo.

The more I look into Frozen Synapse, the cooler the project seems. One of the more unique bits of functionality programmed into the game is the ability to quickly and easily export video of matches to YouTube. People who have pre-ordered and are now playing around with the beta version of the game have already begun taking advantage of this feature. Take a look at this thread for links to user-created YouTube videos of Frozen Synapse replays.

Here's a sample replay. Looks like quick strategic fun that would be a blast in multiplayer!
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Bill »

Thanks John for turning me on to this game right before the draft pick. You couldn't wait to share this with us, say like the middle of next week. Just so you know, if my draft picks totally suck this year it is because my draft research to Frozen Synapse play ratio has been about 1-to-7. The bad news is I am not total sure I didn't accidentally kill Daniel Rios with a stray sniper shot.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by John »

Warriors wrote:Thanks John for turning me on to this game right before the draft pick. You couldn't wait to share this with us, say like the middle of next week. Just so you know, if my draft picks totally suck this year it is because my draft research to Frozen Synapse play ratio has been about 1-to-7. The bad news is I am not total sure I didn't accidentally kill Daniel Rios with a stray sniper shot.
So you're liking the game, Larry? I'm on a self-ban from gaming until I finish my last couple offseason holdover PEBA projects, but as soon as those are finished I was planning on pre-ordering Frozen Synapse and getting in on the beta. Any impressions would be welcome.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Bill »

The play is compelling. The control that you have over the individual members of your team, combined with the strategy of what the other team may possibly have planned, adding in the whole timing factors, is just way cool.

Two players in the same room is my favorite because then it becomes this instant smackdown contest. With all of the planning, as the game advertises turns are resolved in literally 15 seconds. Still, you can playback and see where your logic might have been faulty.

This is like the methamphetamine of strategy games. I have to set a time limit for myself or I will suddenly look up and see the sun rising.
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Mike Dunn »

PEBA Commissioner wrote:Frozen Synapse comes in both Mac and PC flavors. Order one and you receive access to both versions. System requirements are quite reasonable, too, so you needn't worry about your old system keeping you out of the fight.
--True, and my understanding is that a beta purchase gives you two licenses, whatever the OS. This means you can give one license to a friend and then play against them. This means you can give one license to a friend at PEBA :wink: .

--I'm dorky enough to admit that I listen to the strategy gaming podcast "Three Moves Ahead," affiliated with the strategy gaming blog Flash of Steel. A recent episode was devoted entirely to Frozen Synapse
Mike Dunn

Former GM, Niihama-Shi Ghosts (2011-2019)
Record (9 seasons): 662-634
Division Titles: 1
Playoff Appearances: 3
Neo Tokyo Cup Appearances: 1
LRS Championships: 0
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by John »

This is what a busy schedule gets you; I had purchased Frozen Synapse, I built a contest around giving away a free copy, I've been dying to give it a try... but until tonight, I've had no time. Now I just got an hour with the game. My thoughts? INCREDIBLY FUN. This is what great turn-based strategy is all about. Careful analysis of a situation. The beginnings of a plan. Test it... no, that doesn't seem like it will work. Do I have any other options? What if I... yes, that just might be a better option. Let's commit to the plan and see what happens. Ahhhhhh... I didn't expect that to occur! Now I need to improvise and adapt!

A great game entertains me while making me a little bit smarter, a little bit sharper. I can literally feel Frozen Synapse stimulating my... well, my synapses! Plus it has that "just one more turn" pull to it. I was only planning to give the game half an hour but just couldn't resist lengthening my session.

The winner of the "Put a Face to the Pocketbook" contest is going to have a nice prize on their hands. Frozen Synapse totally rocks.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Mike Dunn »

Frozen Synapse releases this Thursday.

[youtubepop]VmmCGksVOB8[/youtubepop]

You can still pre-order, and the pre-order gets you instant access to beta, Steam key, and a free copy for a friend.

Is anyone here interested in splitting the $26 cost, since we could each get a copy? PM me if so.
Mike Dunn

John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#11 Post by John »

Ghosts wrote:Frozen Synapse releases this Thursday.

[youtubepop]VmmCGksVOB8[/youtubepop]

You can still pre-order, and the pre-order gets you instant access to beta, Steam key, and a free copy for a friend.

Is anyone here interested in splitting the $26 cost, since we could each get a copy? PM me if so.
You beat me to the punch. I had planned on posting about the release on Thursday. :grin: The game is fabulous. I've had a beta copy for quite some time now, and I can vouch that if you're even slightly into turn-based strategy or tactical level planning, this is a game you're going to want to get.

Splitting the cost is a great way to lower the barrier of entry. I encourage you to use this thread to hook up on split purchases, and to discuss your experiences with the game!
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Leones »

You guys are a bad influence. :shake:

Can't wait to give it a shakedown. ;-D
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Mike Dunn »

PEBA Commissioner wrote:Splitting the cost is a great way to lower the barrier of entry. I encourage you to use this thread to hook up on split purchases...
Anyone up for this?
Mike Dunn

Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Mike Dunn »

I just purchased it, and found that today its down to $20, including a second copy. So PM me if you want in for $10 or a top draft pick :lol: .
Mike Dunn

Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Leones »

I would have taken up the offer Mike (who can resist a free draft pick? :) ) but I'm pretty sure my brother will want a copy so I planned on purchasing and giving him my extra.
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”