Mafia! Evil Unearthed - Conclusion

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Mafia! Evil Unearthed - Conclusion

#1 Post by Lions »

Conclusion

---------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------

NPC's
Shem Nirvanna

Norm Creed

Allie Pluscar

Active Players
Denise Luco - Town - Played by John

Chet Ologral - Town - Played by Mike (Borealis)

The Deceased
Rolo Traboma - NPC - Day 1

Ellie Ticor - Mafia - Played by Dylan (Wind Dancers)

Kent O'Parry - Town - Played by Kevin (Evas)

Charlie Dresheny - Town - Played by Dan (Bears)

Drew McKofa - Mafia - Played by Drew (Warriors)
Congrats to the Town! Winners: Mike, John, Kevin, and Dan

And to our survivors: Chet (Mike) and Denise/Kate (John)

Anyone may post in this thread!
I'll post night actions and some notes later. I'll also reveal which PEBA players had their names anagrammed into character names for this game. Perhaps you can figure it out?

Hope you all had fun!
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
DrewV
Triple-A
Triple-A

Re: Mafia! Evil Unearthed - Conclusion

#2 Post by DrewV »

Good job me for killing the only other mafia member in the first round!

Thanks Frank, good fun :)
Drew Visscher (GM Ricky McCoy) | Duluth Warriors
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Borealis »

WHOO HOOO!!! Go Town!!

Excellent job by all - especially John and Drew. I had a brief moment where I started to doubt my belief about JR - I’m sure glad I went with my instincts…

Oh!! And I think this is the first time I survived to the end - Yay!!!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#4 Post by Wind Dancers »

Warriors wrote:Good job me for killing the only other mafia member in the first round!

Thanks Frank, good fun :)

I had a whole backstory ready for WHY I was mafia since I was a "traitor" :angry-cussingblack:

But seriously, it was fun to follow along. Thanks Frank!
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Lions »

Here's the list of roles, along with which PEBA player the character name was an anagram of:

Role Assignements
Charlie Dresheny (Dan) - Vanilla Townie - Your weapon is your vote, you have no night actions.
-> Harley Schneider

Denise Luco (John) - 1-shot Town Doctor - Once at night, you may protect one player in the game from one nightkill.
-> Luis Cedeno

Drew McKofa (Drew) - Mafia Godfather - You have Investigation Immunity, which means that you appear innocent to Cop investigations, unless investigated while performing a kill. Once during the game, you may choose a player and attempt to kill them at night.
-> Fred Womack

Chet Ologral (Mike) - Town Inventor - Each day, you may give one player in the game an item from your box of inventions. Each item can be used just once, and the recipient will be able to use that invention at any time later in the game. Prior to the end of the day phase, you must inform the host who you wish to give your item to, and which item to give. You have the following items: a magnifying glass (investigate alignment), a knife (kill), a medical kit (protect), and a vial of poison (block).
-> Hector Gallo

Kent O'Parry (Kevin) - Vanilla Townie - Your weapon is your vote, you have no night actions.
-> Tony Parker

Ellie Ticor (Dylan) - Mafia Traitor - You know that Drew McKofa is The Godfather, but Drew does not know that there is a traitor. You may not communicate with Drew directly outside of the day threads.
-> Eric Elliot

Non-Player Characters were also anagrams of PEBA stars:
Shem Nirvanna -> Marvin Hansen
Norm Creed -> Don Mercer
Allie Pluscar -> Paul Carlisle
Rolo Traboma -> Bartolo Mora

Night Actions/Results

Night 1
Mike (inventor) -> no action
John (doctor) -> no action
Drew (Mafia) -> Kill Ellie Ticor -> Successful, Ellie dies

Night 2
Mike (inventor) -> Give Denise the magnifying glass
John (doctor) -> no action
John (investigate) -> Investigate Chet -> Successful, Chet is Town.
Drew (Mafia) -> no action remaining

Night 3
Mike (inventor) -> Give Denise the knife
John (doctor) -> Protect Chet -> Successful, Chet is cannot be killed
John (kill) -> Kill Charlie -> Successful, Charlie dies
Drew (Mafia) -> Kill Chet -> Unsuccessful, no action remaining (would've been protected anyway)
Drew didn't pick up on the fact that he only had 1 night kill :(

Night 4
Mike (inventor) -> Give Denise the vial of poison
John (doctor) -> no action remaining
John (block) -> Block Chet -> Does nothing as the game is over (would have prevented Chet from handing out an invention on Day 5)

Host Notes

You all did a great job with the characters you were assigned. In previous games I've given a short bio, maybe as simple as an occupation, but I thought I'd leave it totally open this time and I was not disappointed!

Drew hitting Dylan on night 1 was just bad luck. If he had taken out Mike or one of the other townies, the game would've played out quite differently. In retrospect, I should've made it more obvious that he just had one kill. I've been debating about whether or not I should've told him about the traitor's existence and I now lean towards the side of sharing that information. I suspect that if Drew realized he could kill just once, he may have waited for a clue as to which townie was dangerous and which other player may have been his teammate, but not knowing there was another mafia out there meant it was reasonable to start whittling away as quickly as possible. Can't blame him for the quick trigger here.

It's really hard to balance a game this small, and I didn't want to have a random lynch end the game on day 1. The Traitor would have become the Godfather if Drew had been killed prior to Day 3, but I didn't want to have two full mafia in a game when it would quickly take just three votes to lynch.

I really thought John was quite scummy. He played the inventions exactly how I would've expected him to if he was mafia, and I know at least one of the dead players thought John was the godfather. I was fully planning on having the Day 4 conclusion/game conclusion making him seem like the mafia until Drew admitted it publicly.

One of the problems with playing on the Mafia team is that it's hard for you to see just how scummy another player can be. Probably a slim chance, but Drew's best bet to win at the end was to try to convince Mike that John was scum.

The purpose of the inventor was to give town choices and to, hopefully, give a vanilla a chance of getting a random night action. That didn't work out so well. If I were to run this exact same game again, I'd make the inventor give their item to a different player each night.

Did you like the comic book style?
For those who played the previous games... did you prefer the longer text form of those?

Here's a behind the scenes look:
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Borealis »

Thanks Frank for a fun game!! I love the LEGO pix and think they were perfect!!

I suspected The Godfather had no hits (left), and I also started to wonder if John wasn't playing me like a fiddle, but in the end, stuck to my guns.

I had hoped that we would have ended it sooner - that a lynch of Charlie, and the knife to JR to kill Drew, was the winning move. But Drew pulling his vote back sealed it in my mind that he was Mafia. So I gave JR the knife anyway, figuring we had a 50-50 shot of winning - hoping I was right about The Godfather having no kills...

Bravo Guys!!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by John »

Warriors wrote:Good job me for killing the only other mafia member in the first round!
That was a bit of bad luck for the mafia. It really did turn the tide for us townies. Who knew?
Borealis wrote:Excellent job by all - especially John and Drew. I had a brief moment where I started to doubt my belief about JR - I’m sure glad I went with my instincts…
I can totally understand your doubt, Michael, because ...
Badgers wrote:I really thought John was quite scummy.
This is something I've noticed about my online social deception plays. I always play scummy. It's not intentional! And I don't think I'm nearly so scummy when I play live games. But something about taking away the face-to-face element brings out the scum-bucket in me. I seriously couldn't believe I wasn't lynched on Day 3. Or, really, any time, if only to shut me up. :D
Badgers wrote:Did you like the comic book style?
For those who played the previous games... did you prefer the longer text form of those?
YES and YES! This style might have been my favorite yet. I found myself looking forward to the start and end of each day just so I could watch the scene play out. For my money, this was the highlight of the game.

Thank you for hosting, Frank! I've hosted a number of Deception and Resistance games in real life, so I know how stressful it can be. That you had to arrange everything with the LEGO pieces and the storyline on top of it ... that's a mammoth undertaking. It's very much appreciated. ;-D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Ghosts »

I'll admit as a first timer, I was very confused and didn't understand the mechanics at play. I kept waiting for something to make sense, some clue, but I ended up just guessing what was happening based on hunches. I was fairly certain John was the godfather when I was killed.

Kevin and I also had the misfortune of having a family vacation right in the middle of the game, so neither of us could play at 100% during the timeframe he was lynched.

Regardless, it was fun! Frank, the comics were fantastic. I really enjoyed those, especially seeing all our bickering boiled down to "no, you!" level blurbs. Thanks for letting me play!
Dan Vail
Bakersfield Bears 2028-2030
Niihama-shi Ghosts 2010, 2031-current

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”