Poetry inspiration to me

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Underground
Double-A
Double-A

Poetry inspiration to me

#1 Post by Underground »

I discovered an extremely helpful poem for me as a young boy. It was taped to my bedroom wall from about 9 years old until I moved out of my parents' house.

"when all about you, Are losing theirs and blaming it on you" seems to be occurring, once agin, in my real life circumstances.

If - Rudyard Kipling

The punch line is not so helpful to me, because being "a man" is rather low on my list of priorities. Though the meaning of those words in the author's perspective is not available to me.

This has also been extremely helpful for me. Most people call it a prayer. That obviously was the purpose of the original writer. I choose to see it more as poem about goals in my approach to life.

Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi

My latest "go to" poem is Invictus.

The last few statements have been adopted as a sort of motto or mantra for myself. Sometimes I try to wrap my mind around the difference between "master" of my "soul" as opposed to "master" of my "fate". Or "captain" of my "fate" as opposed to "captain" of my "soul". In the end, the wording is less significant than the idea, which would stand without any words, spoken, written, or thought.
Evan Seary
London Underground

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”