Borealis ‘Listed’ Draft Brings Fresh Faces, In-House Controv

Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Borealis ‘Listed’ Draft Brings Fresh Faces, In-House Controv

#1 Post by Borealis »

Borealis ‘Listed’ Draft Brings Fresh Faces, In-House Controversy
Francis Ferry, NLN baseball beat writer

June 9, 2019: Aurora, Colorado – PEBA’s annual amateur draft took place Friday, a draft that saw Omaha hold the top selection and take 3B Luis Cedeño, out of St. Johns. Aurora held the 26th pick and selected infielder John Dickson of Indiana. The bigger news on the Front Range may have been the unfortunate antics of their young GM, Will Topham.

Reports are surfacing that the 25-year old GM spent a little too much time at the bar at the annual GMs party the night before and was not in any position to be drafting the future for the Aurora Borealis. A respected member of another PEBA franchise’s front office, under promise of anonymity, told this reporter that Topham spent most of the draft moving between his seat at the draft table and the Asheville Hyatt’s restroom.

Evidence the first round. Twice Topham looked panicked as Aurora’s pick approached – even spouting out a selection, C Jack Hudson, four picks early and seeing him snapped up by Florida; right before Aurora’s then hurried, scrambled selection of Dickson.

By the time Pedro Ferringo was selected in the Supplemental round, it was clear that a night of carousing had caught up with Aurora’s ‘Boy Feeling-Not-So-Wonderful’ GM. For the remainder of the draft, Topham was AWOL, and left on his desk was a scrawled out list of names that was used in a top-down manner to make Aurora’s selections. In doing so, Aurora’s minor league positional depth was compromised, with no guarantee that the team brings in quality talent.

Aurora owner, and the GMs father, Michael Topham, made no comment on his son’s actions, stating, “We shall keep this in house.” What that means is unclear, but it’s a fair bet it doesn’t mean a spanking.

At his post-draft press conference yesterday, the GM was contrite and apologetic, saying all the right things, acknowledging his ‘poor decision making at a crucial time for the organization’ and for ‘letting the fans down’. What he said to his father is likely never to be known. Oh, to be a fly on the wall.

Dickson was a three-year starter for the Big Daddies, with a career .404 average over 525 AB. What he lacks in power (6 HR in those 525 AB), he should make up in his ability to put the ball in play – he had two, 20-game hit streaks in college, avoid striking out (only 19 in three years), and his actions on the base paths, as Joe Horn sees Dickson with outstanding speed and base running abilities. He stole 27 out of 37 attempts in his Indiana career, but he certainly has more potential. Defensively, he mostly played first, but he has been used all around the horn and it’s expected Aurora will have him play mostly at second in a hope he’ll improve his defensive skills there. It is not believed he has the arm strength to play on the left side of the infield.

Ferringo is a corner outfielder out of Oregon State who is a tall (6’5”), lanky (200 lbs) player who’s skill set resembles Dickson – put’s the ball in play with little power and great speed. Pedro isn’t considered the ‘sharpest tack’, as his coach at OSU referred to him as, but everyone agreed that he is a very hard worker, a team leader and willing to do whatever is needed to win. He was a four-year starter that missed only 3 games. His career average of .355 (.383 this past season) reflects his ‘put-it-in-play’ style –enhanced by his low K rate – 90 in 870 AB. He, too, will be a threat to run with 33 steals in 46 attempts. Perhaps the most interesting thing about the selection of Ferringo is the fact that scouts feel that he is nearly major league ready – a bit of a shocking choice for a team that is overloaded with major league outfield talent. With youngsters Matt Ferrell, Mike Hale and River Pope already having splashed on the scene – complementing Pierce and Burton, both of whom may be free agents at years end, Ferringo may compete as soon as next year with Paul Carlisle, Javier Sepúlveda and Boyd Turner for a spot on the 25-man roster. For now the question is where will he begin the second half of the minor league season? Aurora has always started guys at Mokule’ia, but it’s arguable that he’s ready to play at Gatineau.

Aurora had three selections in the second round and with the 47th overall pick took 18-year old John Lawson. Out of legendary Brophy Prep, Lawson is very much in the mould of Aurora’s other two selections – put it in play, strike out little and good speed. Like Dickson, Lawson has mostly played first, but the scouts think that with work he could play anywhere around the diamond – and at 18, he’s ample time to do so.

Four picks later – and we might add, going from a name on a scrambled list of names, Aurora ‘took another outfielder’, Federico Olivas out of the University of Central Florida. Olivas has something the previous three lack – the potential to hit with power. It’s fair to expect him to match that potential as he showed an excellent eye and patience – 152 BB and only 32 K as a four-year starter for the Wicked Witches. He has an excellent college splits of .368/.477/.613. Federico lacks the speed Aurora drafted earlier – and it shows in his defensive range, but he catches everything he gets to. But he, like Ferringo, does not play the outfield spot they need most – centerfield. That said, Olivas looks to do nothing but add to the very rich outfield depth the Organization has.

Many experts lauded the depth of this years draft and Aurora’s selection of SS Rod Martin with the 54th overall pick illustrates this completely – an infielder that possesses outstanding defensive potential coupled with PEBA hitting potential, at a draft position that in the past few years has held a mixed bag of talent. Last Year Aurora settled for Kevin Ammons in the 66th spot. A four-year starter at Minnesota, this pick does carry some risk. 30 games into his senior season, while hitting .379 with 36 RBI, he broke his elbow after being taken out on a double play. He will miss the summer’s Short A season, but he should be fully recovered by the start of A Ball season.

With the 79th pick, #23 in the 3rd round, Aurora took C Ron Miller – the 6th catcher taken in the draft. Miller became the starter mid-way through his freshman year at Washington and put up decent offensive numbers. This season was a mixture of positives and negatives. His .280 average was a 60-point drop from his junior year, as was his drop from 33 to 19 RBI. He also hit a career best 7 HRs. Miller is not considered the best of catching prospects, but he did throw out 34% of potential base stealers. Of Aurora’s top 5 selections, Miller’s path may be the longest to hoe. Aurora puts a premium on brains and effort when it comes to catchers, and Miller’s failure to graduate is not a good sign.

As is always the case, the playing futures of these draftees will only be told in one place – the future. For now, the Borealis have seemingly drafted solid players, but thanks to some… indiscretions, Aurora hasn’t really dealt with their organizational needs as far as depth is concerned. Ray D. Enzé will provide more coverage of Aurora’s draft day in his blog.
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Borealis ‘Listed’ Draft Brings Fresh Faces, In-House Con

#2 Post by klewis »

Nice summary, Mike! Hopefully, your draft picks turn out ok. I always feel awkward drafting for another person. I always second guess myself. Is this who he would take in this slot? Should I deviate from the list to draft a pitcher or catcher? Should I adhere to the list and draft best player available? Or do I go by position?

Of course, I ask the same questions when I draft for myself. But it is easier to accept your own liability. There's more pressure when drafting for someone else.

Admittedly, I did cringe when I saw Lawson on Mike's list. I had targeted him myself. I suppose I could have purposely picked someone else for Mike :twisted: But I had to be impartial and go off the list.

Compared to last year, I liked this draft better in terms of talent. Although, the string of 2-pitch pitchers is a little peculiar.
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Borealis ‘Listed’ Draft Brings Fresh Faces, In-House Con

#3 Post by Borealis »

Thanks Again, Kevin, for bailing me out... I'm truly appreciative!!! Perhaps this time 2020 we can work a deal for Lawson!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions

Return to “League News and Articles”