Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

A Crock of Gunt: Bill “Slappy” Bradley

#1 Post by Borealis »

A Crock of Gunt: Bill “Slappy” Bradley
KOA Radio 850

Image Image Image

July 31, 2013: Aurora, Colorado – Aurora broadcasters Mark Gunter and George Crocker get together with Aurora ace Bill Bradley to discuss pitching, horses and the future of the Borealis.

Gunt: Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to another edition of “A Crock of Gunt”. I’m Mark Gunter.

Crock: Folks, I am so… totally… stoked out, like I haven’t been in weeks! Tonight, we’ve got the bestest pitcher in all da land!

Gunt: And that’s my partner, George Crocker. So tell the folks who we have with us tonight, George.

Crock: I’m so excited! Tonight we have “Slappy” visiting, fresh off his no-no-no-he didn’t-oh-yes-he-did!

Bradley: Thanks, guys. It’s a pleasure to be here, and George, you’re right… yes, I did!

Gunt: The first no-hitter by an Aurora pitcher. Impressive stuff indeed, Bill, and against the Sandgnats; not quite the same as the no-hitter you just missed against Reno back in early June.
Bradley: Yeah… it was one of those days, you know, when you go out to stretch and warm-up and you just don’t feel like you have it. I’d say midway through warm-up, I almost went up to Toro and told him I was a scratch…

Crock: Scratch? What? You jiving us, Slappy? Stud man like you? Scratch? Why, I never scratched. I remember this one game against… I think it was those same mayflies from the Lake. My knee was all messed up from this slide the night before… I think it was Murdock…

Gunt: Barry wasn’t with Crystal Lake when you played, George.

Crock: I think it was Barry “sitting on the” Murdock “of the bay”… anyway…

Gunt: I’m pretty sure, George.

Crock: No, I’m pretty sure, Mark. I am, after all, George Crocker! So I was sliding hard into third…

Bradley: Fascinating stuff, George, but after the problems I had earlier in the year, I didn’t want to be the cowboy out there and hurt the team’s chances later in the year. Juan talked me out of it. “You-sa know dat-a iffa you-a start dis game you-a will pitch-a da no-hitta.” I laughed.

Gunt: So Juan Toro: prognosticator, eh? So you stay in the game. When did you know you had the shot at the no-no?

Bradley: Well, certainly not in the 4th. Walking George’s buddy Murdock is never a good idea. Then he steals second on the first pitch! (shakes his head) I look back on it and it kind of spoils the night for me. Thankfully, John makes a great catch in the right field corner on Holmes for the first out and Edmond a fantastic catch on Molina in the left field corner. Sure, a run scored, but that could have been a big inning.

Crock: Damn straight! Instead of back-to-back dooblés and two runs in, you’re out of the inning and coasting! So what was the key inning for you?

Bradley: I think the 6th was when I knew I had a chance. When I stuck out Hood, Murdock and Holmes, I just kind of felt it was there.

Gunt: What were your thoughts when you walked Holmes with two out in the 9th and you’d already thrown 125 pitches?

Bradley: At that point, I felt great. I could have thrown another inning. Funny the way it is; I felt like crap in the pen before the game, and there I was, an out away from a no-hitter. That ump just gave me no break. That 3-2 pitch to Holmes was a strike and he squeezed me. You guys know him?

Crock: Isn’t he one of those new guys, a sub ump from college ball they brought in? “Sub ump”… sounds like a bad guy from one of those cop shows.

Bradley: Yep, and he and I had a little problem back in my Berkeley days. Let’s just say I don’t think he wanted me to throw that no-no. Anyway, I just stared at him, turned towards the dugout and told Juan I’ve got it. I think he wanted to pull me.

Gunt: Yeah, Toro’s made some odd moves this year. I did notice you thump your chest with your fist. (gestures with a closed hand, banging his chest)

Bradley: No problem at that point. Molina chased a slider deep in the dirt – I knew he would – and hit the comebacker. Words can’t describe how exciting it was. Wilson running to the mound... I’d been so close in the past, and against a quality team like Crystal...

Crock: So your next start Friday against the Old Men… what are your plans on Johnny Van Der Meer-ing them? More sliders in the dirt? Fastballs high and tight? Cutter on the fist? Do they stand a chance against big Slappy? Does anyone?

Bradley: Calm down, George. I try to take it a start at a time. Palm Springs has been playing well of late and they will be a challenge. A second no-no would be great, but as long as I get the win, I’ll be happy.

Gunt: So tell us, Bill; with the trade deadline approaching at 6 p.m. this evening, do you have any sense about any movement with the roster?

Bradley: It sure seems that all is quiet. I know that there was talk of trying to bring in another arm – a big armed Pedro Barrón type – but I don’t think it’s happening. One thing that seems clear is the GM is willing to deal, but he does seem to have great patience in terms of holding onto what he views as key parts for the future.

Gunt: What do you think about that? Should Aurora be bringing in a bigger arm for the rotation? I think we’d all agree the bullpen is pretty solid.

Bradley: Yeah, the pen is solid. Dealing Jamie was tough – he was a great guy – but I see where they felt they needed some insurance for the rotation. Besides, Marable is flat-out nasty out there. It would be nice to have a guy like Barrón, or Corona, maybe someone like Reséndez, but in the end, I think our rotation has pitched better than anyone could have imagined this year, especially with the loss of Miguel.

Crock: How about Reyes? You know, I met this whacked-out guy who told me back in March that Reyes was going to be a stud. I thought the dude was baked or something, but damn if he wasn’t psychic or something.

Bradley: José has done exactly what they thought he would; keep us in games and give our offense a chance to win. It’s a shame he hasn’t posted more wins, ‘cause he certainly deserves it. Truly, the entire staff has been solid. Artie just defies the odds with what he brings to the mound, Kojima is the consummate professional, and Francisco has grown so much this season. He’s given us what we had hoped to get from García. I think the biggest question is, “Who sits out during the playoffs?”

Gunt: Well, assuming Aurora makes it…

Crock: Are you kidding me, Marky-Mark? If they make it? Tell me, who’s knocking them out? Nobody! The question really is, "How much do they win by?" I’m betting 20 games! Yes sir-ee, at least 20. Don’t you see them all fading away into the sunset? Don’t you see them all slip-sliding away?

Bradley: Well, we are confident about the post-season and all, but we’re not taking anything for granted, George. There is a lot of baseball left to play. We’re just happy to have Cory and Mark back in the lineup. If they come back and hit as they have in the past, with the emergence of Ga-Ga and Edwards, the “O” is looking pretty impressive. I’m just glad I don’t have to pitch against us!

Crock: Ga-Ga?

Bradley: En-guo. I call him “Guo Guao Ga-Ga”. He’s such a baby…

Gunt: Baby? He’s six-foot, 200 pounds! That’s a big baby!

Bradley: Yeah… it’s a baseball thing.

Crock: Yeah, totally dig that man. I remember back in my old K-Zoo days when Carlos Madrigal played with us. We called him “Mad Girl”, you know. The clubbie misspelled his name on the locker one day in Gloucester. It was her-larious.

Gunt: I bet it was, George… So tell us, Bill; I understand that, during the off-season, you work with horses? What’s that all about?

Bradley: I do. It started back when I was a kid and my Grandpa had a ranch outside of Springfield. He was an old cowboy and rode around the ranch up ‘til the day he died. Then my folks sent me to this school where everyone had to care for a horse, and it was just a natural. We only had to do it freshman year, but it was so cool to have your own horse.

Crock: Horse? That’s such a mad girrly thing… hee hee. Big baseball star like you, playing with horses?

Bradley: Listen, George, it sure beats being afraid of whales!

Gunt: (big smile crosses face; turns to looks at Crocker; mockingly) True dat!

Bradley: You don’t get it, George. To hop on a horse and ride across the countryside, the wind in your hair, the silence when you stop; there’s nothing like it. So now I have a small piece of the ranch I inherited from my Grandpa – thank you President Bush and that 2010 inheritance tax law – and I’m raising horses. I’m actually sharing it with my brother Phil.

Gunt: What kinds of horses are you guys raising?

Bradley: (snickers) Well, appropriately enough, Colorado Rangerbred. They’re good, sturdy horses. They’re super out on the range, herding the cattle and all that sort of thing. These guys we have are of a terrific temperament.

Crock: (pouting) Hmphf… how many head do you have?

Bradley: We currently have 20. I think a couple of the mares are pregnant, so they’re growing.

Crock: (perks up) A 20-headed horse? How… cool... is… that? So any plans on racing them? We could make a mint! With 20 heads, they’d see all comers on the rail. Imagine taking them to Churchill 1, letting them race around the track. Win a few races…

Gunt: George, I think you mean Churchill Downs. I’m pretty sure there aren’t any horses running about Churchill 1. I’ve played there. The Thoroughbreds don’t even have any thoroughbreds running about there.

Bradley: Who knows? Maybe when my contract expires, I can bring some of my horses to Kentucky…

(silence)(more silence)

Gunt: Well now… thanks, Bill. You’re having another outstanding season, and good luck Friday against the Codgers.

Bradley: Thanks, Mark, George. And by the way, George, I was listening to your story about your journey abroad, but I don’t think you ever finished telling the tale.

Gunt: Oh, please, don’t get him…

Crock: Dude! You are so right! Well let me tell you, the ship left its berth on the dock at Puerto San Carlos shortly after…
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions

Return to “League News and Articles”