Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

A Crock of Gunt: Mark Richardson

#1 Post by Borealis »

A Crock of Gunt: Mark Richardson
KOA 850 - Mark Gunter & George Crocker

ImageImageImage
4/19/2011: Yuma, Arizona – Mark Gunter and George Crocker sat down with Borealis second baseman Mark Richardson before his first start of the PEBA 2011 season vs. Yuma to gather some insight into this star of the PEBA, his move to Aurora, his injuries and more.

Crock: Hey, baseball fans and those who hate baseball, George Crocker here joined by my new teammate Mark Gunter, live from the Borealis dugout before their game versus the Yuma Bulldozers today.

Gunt: It’s the second game of a three-game series against the Bulldozers, and today we sit down with someone who really is still new to the Aurora lineup, and that’s shortstop Mark Richardson.

Crock: Dude, Mark, I remember I struck you out once. On a flaming circle change my aunt taught me during the preseason games.

MR: Ah, yeah, ah, thanks Mark, George. (looking quizzically at Crocker) You didn’t pitch?

Gunt: So tell us, Mark, what were your thoughts about being traded to Aurora from the Featherheads after the 2009 season?

MR: Well, frankly, I was shocked. I felt like I’d stay in Florida for many years. We had a good thing going, we were showing signs of improvement, and their winning 104 games last season and making it to the Imperial Alliance Tournament was proof of that. I thought I was an integral part of their plans.

Crock: What happened? Why did they let you go? Afraid that beaning ruined your smile? Making for a crappy team photo?

MR: Ha! I think they got bad advice. I saw multiple doctors after I was hit by that pitch, fracturing my cheek. I tell you (shaking his head), I was scared. My vision in my left eye was shot for awhile. The head trainer told the GM I might end up losing the eye, much less have normal vision again. Obviously he was wrong. Not the first time, I might add. Personally, I’m not sure why he’s still employed. Anyway, my personal doctors all felt that with time my vision would return. Aurora took a huge gamble trading for me, no question about that.

Crock: You know, I was beaned once. It felt like a time-space continuum moving in reverse.

Gunt: Why Aurora? What do you think was their mindset there?

MR: Well, I think that first off they took in consideration Florida’s team doctor’s reputation. He’s made bad calls in the past. When I took it upon myself to see other doctors who had much better predictions for my future… well, I think Aurora saw an opportunity. They had a slight weakness at short and had a chance to make a strong team stronger.

Crock: Any thoughts about leaving Florida? Missing the beaches and the chicas?

MR: They did what they thought they needed to. They trust the doctor. And look, they got a guy who stole 89 bases and they won the division. I’m guessing the fans aren’t complaining too much now. Frankly, they got the short end of the stick, if you ask me. They just make smart moves here in Colorado. The beaches were great, but now I have snow bunnies during the offseason to keep me occupied.

Gunt: You’ve played second your entire career and now you make the switch to shortstop. I know from experience that that is a tough transition. Do you think your quickness can make the difference on the left side of the infield?

MR: Steve McDonald. Career .320 hitter, 175 steals in 4 seasons? That bat has to stay in the lineup, and second is his best position. I can manage playing short. He’s young and impressive. I know that I’ve just signed a huge 6-year deal and I hope to finish my career here. If I play those 6 seasons with Steve, we will win at least one championship. We share the same agent and I made that clear to him.

Crock: So are the rumors true? Are you just a fragile man? After your injury this spring, people are saying you’re made of parchment paper, or Zig-Zag… I forget which.

MR: George, you of all people shouldn’t talk of injuries of misfortune. Man, I came over for the turn on the double play, the feed was up and away, and I landed awkwardly on the bag and Tsu-wee Li’s foot. It was freakish. Kind of like chasing a popup, eh George?

Crock: What are you talking about? My mother always mops the floor!

Gunt: Lastly, Mark, I don’t think I’ve ever heard you speak about this, but do tell, how did you end up with the nickname “Ice Cold”?

MR: (laughs) Well, growing up in Minneapolis, it’s no surprise that it gets really cold there. Baseball season begins much later than other places in the country. I used to make my Dad go out and play catch whenever the weather was tolerable outside. There’d be 6” of snow on the ground and we’d be playing catch. He painted the balls orange so we could see them if we missed a ball. Even so, come spring thaw there would be “oranges” popping up all over the neighborhood. Through Little League and high school, I continued my winter workouts. Dad would complain when it was –10°, but he’d throw with me nonetheless. So one winter day, my sophomore year, the varsity coach drove by the house with his son, the stud of the team, and saw me out with my Dad. He rolled down the window and hollered out at me, “What the hell are you doing out there, boy? It’s 2°! You must be ice cold.” When spring practice began that season his son started calling me “Ice Cold” on day one, and it stuck.

Crock: I heard that Víctor Salgardo started calling you “Ice Pack” and that’s why he was traded. Toro don’t want his bull upset?

Gunt: (shaking his head at Crocker) Great story. Well your stick certainly isn’t ice cold, and hopefully the form you showed at the end of the year is what you’ll excite fans with this coming year. It’s been our pleasure having you on…

Crock: Speak for yourself, Gunty.

Gunt: … “Crock of Gunt”, Mark Richardson. We look forward to seeing you on the field soon.

MR: Thanks Mark. Sorry the nickname wasn’t something exciting like getting my tongue stuck on a street signpost. (shaking his head yes) That has been a suggested rumor, I’ve heard.

Crock: I got my cheek stuck on a pole once and I still hit a double out on the street. It was crazy!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Jim

Re: A Crock of Gunt: Mark Richardson

#2 Post by Jim »

Wow! There's a lot of blue and green in Mark's ratings there. I think he'd be quite a big contributor even if he sat out part of the year with injuries.

Return to “League News and Articles”