The World Independent League News #1 - Jan 2024

W_I_L
Little Leaguer
Little Leaguer

The World Independent League News #1 - Jan 2024

#1 Post by W_I_L »

Some of the new WIL franchises have been flexing their financial muscles early in free agency blowing their budgets early on. With rumours abounding that their WIL sponsors World Sports TV will not be so generous with purse strings next year several of the ex-PEBA franchises chose to spend the money quickly.

The New Jersey Hitmen handed out two big contracts, 32-yr-old Shortstop Ricardo Zambrano after seven years with the former PEBA Manchester Maulers picked up a five-year $46.5 million deal while 35-yr-old starter Kantaro Watanabe collected a 3-year deal worth $22.5 million. Watanabe had been pitching for three years in the LRS with the Nara Knights posting a 42-23 record and a 2.34 ERA.

The Marseille Fishermen also flashed the cash with a $28 million 2-year deal for former RGV infielder 34-yr-old Mario Tessier. The Fishermen also completed the WIL's first ever trade as they sent 31-yr-old first base slugger James McJanett to fellow breakaway club Manchester in exchange for 28-yr-old outfielder Joe Barton.

Niihama-shi Ghosts offered the biggest surprise when they gave 34-yr-old catcher Stan Holmes a two-year $28.9 million deal. Although Holmes has had a 10-year PEBA career he has only been a starter in 2015 & 2018. He has in his limited outing though shown a cannon of an arm behind the plate and few have tried to run on him
The World Independent League (Founded 2024)
Sponsored by World Sports TV
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

Re: The World Independent League News #1 - Jan 2024

#2 Post by Sandgnats »

I was targeting Holmes... needless to say, I was offering nothing close to that deal and he even favored my offer before the last simulation!
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

Re: The World Independent League News #1 - Jan 2024

#3 Post by Cole »

Ahhh Stan Holmes, I miss him. Fond memories of that guy in Kalamazoo.
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+

Return to “League News and Articles”