W.I.L. to name championship trophy "Paul Moots Cup"

W_I_L
Little Leaguer
Little Leaguer

W.I.L. to name championship trophy "Paul Moots Cup"

#1 Post by W_I_L »

World Independent League to name championship trophy "Paul Moots Cup"

By: Evan Waltham - World Sports Media

In a press conference yesterday, World Independent League officials announced the name of their newly-minted baseball trophy, and it is one with special meaning in the professional baseball world: the "Paul Moots Cup".

Paul Moots was the General Manager of the Gloucester Fishermen in PEBA between 2014 and 2018 (the predecessor to the current Marseille Fishermen). An extremely kind and compassionate man to complement his excellent baseball knowledge, he was well-liked in the pro baseball world with his quick wit and ever-present smile. The smile became particularly contagious in 2015 when his Fishermen went on a playoff run for the first time in seven years. They defeated Arlington in the first round, and then upset the powerful Charleston Statesmen in six games. The team went all the way to the PEBA championship finals, defeating Omaha in five games to become champion.

Unfortunately, during the 2018 season, Paul was struck with an undisclosed illness. Despite this, he continued to soldier on with his GM duties until the very end, but sadly passed away before the season was able to conclude. A very beloved person and baseball GM had left us. In his memory, Gloucester renamed their home field "Paul Moots Stadium" in a ceremony shortly afterwards.

"Paul made a lasting impression on the PEBA with his charm and good nature.” said former PEBA Commissioner John Rodriguez. "To say that he was a gentleman and a kind soul is to understate his memory. I considered him a good friend and was devastated by news of his passage. To this day, Paul and his family remain in our thoughts and prayers. I can think of no finer commemoration than this trophy. World Independent League will spend many years striving for the Paul Moots Cup, and we'll all keep on striving to meet the standard of Paul himself."

The World Independent League is proud to have a chance to remember Paul. May the baseball gods smile upon him.

--
Note: outside the PEBA-verse, Paul Moots was an actual PEBA GM with Gloucester. He was a big baseball fan, and a pastoral director for his local church in Mount Sterling, Ohio. He joined PEBA in 2011, but unfortunately passed away in June 2013. The trophy is dedicated to his memory.
The World Independent League (Founded 2024)
Sponsored by World Sports TV
Nigel
All-Star
All-Star

Re: W.I.L. to name championship trophy "Paul Moots Cup"

#2 Post by Nigel »

Unfortunately I never really knew Paul. We both joined the league in 2011 but I was very much overawed by the whole Community thing. I spent the early years being very insular, writing a bit here and there but more of a lurker than a participant. I very much regret that now and that's why I always encourage new GM's now to dive right in. We've all been newbies, embrace the league and it's community and you will end up getting so much more out of PEBA than any other league

..... And finally realise why we move at such a slow pace !
Nigel Laverick

GM San Antonio Calzones de Laredo 2035 - . . .

Former Commish, PEBA & LRS GM

nigel3123@gmail.com
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Borealis »

That's an excellent choice and a classy move! ;-D ;-D
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Leones »

Top shelf! Bet Paul would have gotten a kick out of this.
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#5 Post by Sandgnats »

Bravo :clap:
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats