Neat stuff sim thread PEBA 2023 Season 17

Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Re: Neat stuff sim thread PEBA 2023 Season

#481 Post by Wind Dancers »

Looks like superstar ace Markus Hancock signed with the Dinosaurs, I guess I got in too late to even get the chance to make a run at the best pitcher in league history.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#482 Post by Zephyrs »

Harpoon wrote:Looks like superstar ace Markus Hancock signed with the Dinosaurs, I guess I got in too late to even get the chance to make a run at the best pitcher in league history.
His history page says he was traded from Tempe to Bakersfield way back in 2013, in exchange for 10 players, 5 draft picks, 4 million dollars and a partridge and a pear tree.

I don't know if any of those panned out but that is certainly a shotgun approach.
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#483 Post by Borealis »

Zephyrs wrote:
Harpoon wrote:Looks like superstar ace Markus Hancock signed with the Dinosaurs, I guess I got in too late to even get the chance to make a run at the best pitcher in league history.
His history page says he was traded from Tempe to Bakersfield way back in 2013, in exchange for 10 players, 5 draft picks, 4 million dollars and a partridge and a pear tree.

I don't know if any of those panned out but that is certainly a shotgun approach.
And that was a contentious series of negotiations as Aurora was throwing their weight about in that negotiation as well - and thought they had the deal sealed. I think Florida and Omaha were also going hot and heavy at that time.

Ironically the Bears lost both of their top arms as Benjamin also signed this past sim, a nice little deal with Arlington.

Aurora lost one player - Nolan 'Sleepy' Kuhn, who just couldn't hold his spot with the bullpen... he became somewhat frustrating. Good Luck 'Sleepy' in Okinawa...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#484 Post by roncollins »

That was happening just as I was writing "See the PEBA" ... as best I can tell it was a disastrous trade for Tempe, as they really only got Kenny Ashley as a semi-impactful player out of the deal.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions
Major Leaguer

#485 Post by Wind Dancers »

Wind Dancers wrote:That was happening just as I was writing "See the PEBA" ... as best I can tell it was a disastrous trade for Tempe, as they really only got Kenny Ashley as a semi-impactful player out of the deal.
I feel like the trading of any really good player in any sport never really works out for the team losing him. It's hard to get the right value back in the first place, then you need to hope it all pans out.

Makes me wonder what type of package the Angels would get for Mike Trout if they make him available this offseason.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#486 Post by roncollins »

Well ... there's bad and there's bad and there's Disastrous.

At the end of the day, since base talent is always fairly available, the usual rule of thumb always applies that the guy who gets the best player wins the deal. On the other hand, Tempe was always required to make this kind of deal because they had no chance to hold onto Hancock at the end of the day.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer

#487 Post by Dinosaurs »

Yeah I'm both ecstatic and surprised to see that he signed this quickly. The contract is somewhat similar to the one I had signed OF Yoshino Miyata to in the 2015 season (which was actually in the $30 million range per year). The major risk here, which played out with Miyata is major injury considering Hancock's age and mileage on his arm. But he was a 7 WAR pitcher last season. Even if he only gets half of that next season it would be 2nd on my team's pitching staff.
Cristian Shofar - GM Fargo Dinosaurs
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#488 Post by Coqui »

I hope for Fargo's sake that Hancock's twilight years don't follow Armando Gallegos'. Granted, Gallegos had already started a gentle descent when we signed him, but the price tag was roughly half as much, too.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Dinosaurs
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#489 Post by Dinosaurs »

Longshoremen wrote:I hope for Fargo's sake that Hancock's twilight years don't follow Armando Gallegos'. Granted, Gallegos had already started a gentle descent when we signed him, but the price tag was roughly half as much, too.
Yes, this is big risk here, though being quite familiar with Gallegos (I believe he owns a few Fargo Dinosaurs pitching team records) he wasn't ever quite as good as Hancock has been even as recent as last season's age 36 showing for Hancock (7 WAR). Though a major injury could happen, and I'd have to think that the consistently healthy Hancock is at his greatest risk of major injury as he closes in on his 40s.
Cristian Shofar - GM Fargo Dinosaurs
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#490 Post by Wind Dancers »

Ugh we don't even have a scout here in Hartford :shake:

Gonna be tough pickings in this contraction draft with only OSA ratings at the moment.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#491 Post by roncollins »

I hardly trust any scout I've ever had, really. :)
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Hall of Famer

#492 Post by Leones »

Wind Dancers wrote:I hardly trust any scout I've ever had, really. :)
Same here. Over the years I've learned to rely on the scout less and less, especially when it comes to evaluating players at AAA and up.
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#493 Post by Coqui »

I agree that scouts suck. But. . . in the interest of being helpful to a new guy, Hartford, if you PM me a list of guys for whom you want ONE scout's take on, at least, I'd be happy to oblige with my scout's take by PM or email. I'm sure others here would do the same if they have the time before tomorrow's contraction draft.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#494 Post by Borealis »

Idk... Maybe it's a case of getting to understand your scout - I trust mine pretty much all the time...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#495 Post by Zephyrs »

I am having a hard time deciding on the 1st pick. Oh the pressure! :D I have my eye on a couple prospects but a young and talented big league infielder looks pretty tough to pass on.
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010

Return to “League News and Articles”