Neat stuff sim thread PEBA 2023 Season 17

Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Neat stuff sim thread PEBA 2023 Season

#496 Post by Borealis »

Zephyrs wrote:I am having a hard time deciding on the 1st pick. Oh the pressure! :D I have my eye on a couple prospects but a young and talented big league infielder looks pretty tough to pass on.
I'll trade picks with you - and my number one draft choice, too - I know who I'd pick... :grin:
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#497 Post by Zephyrs »

Borealis wrote:
Zephyrs wrote:I am having a hard time deciding on the 1st pick. Oh the pressure! :D I have my eye on a couple prospects but a young and talented big league infielder looks pretty tough to pass on.
I'll trade picks with you - and my number one draft choice, too - I know who I'd pick... :grin:
I don't really care about tipping my hand because no one is in front of me.

I love the 6.7 WAR Clarence Carpenter put up as a 23 year old RF. I really do like my 3 outfielders even though none have wow'd in the big leagues yet.

I also love George Lee and he would easily become my Ace. I just wonder if I should take on his 13 mill per season price tag at this point in my rebuild.

But the guy who is really looking good for me is 3B Christian Webb. I have a huge hole at 3B and his offense looks good enough to be my #3 or even clean-up hitter and what a fantastic glove. He is also young enough to be around if/when my stable of prospects are ready to contribute.

And finally, how can a rebuilding team not take the #1 rated prospect?

:-o
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#498 Post by Borealis »

I'm actually struggling to figure out my Winter Ball plans as my #1 choice - and a likely #2, are not eligible due to not enough professional service time... :^

And as a friendly reminder, typically those lists are due at the conclusion of the Winter Meetings...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Morris Ragland
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#499 Post by Morris Ragland »

Zephyrs wrote:
Borealis wrote:
I don't really care about tipping my hand because no one is in front of me.

I love the 6.7 WAR Clarence Carpenter put up as a 23 year old RF. I really do like my 3 outfielders even though none have wow'd in the big leagues yet.

I also love George Lee and he would easily become my Ace. I just wonder if I should take on his 13 mill per season price tag at this point in my rebuild.

But the guy who is really looking good for me is 3B Christian Webb. I have a huge hole at 3B and his offense looks good enough to be my #3 or even clean-up hitter and what a fantastic glove. He is also young enough to be around if/when my stable of prospects are ready to contribute.

And finally, how can a rebuilding team not take the #1 rated prospect?

:-o
You could always flip Webb for a raft of picks/prospects.
Morris Ragland
Commissioner
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#500 Post by Borealis »

Of course, what is the status of these draftees? Do they have to remain with the team a year like regular draftees?
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#501 Post by Denny »

These are players already under contract so I don't know why you couldn't trade them. Plus since this is happening at the Winter Meetings where "anything goes", I'm assuming you could deal them immediately after taking them :grin:
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#502 Post by Simon »

San Antonio landed 3 free agents before Winter Meetings, which is VERY convenient for us.

First of all, catcher Jose Cruz. :bang:
Im really happy here because catching has been our weakest position since i took over the team and Cruz should be vast improvement over Johnson (or anybody else we might have at our disposal). He's not superstar or anything, but over the years in Bakersfield had been very consistent, producing around 2-3 WAR every year, and thats what we expect him to do in the next 3 years for San Antonio.

Secondly we signed lefty reliever Yasutoki Ine to 4 years 8.6M contract. His last year in Dayton wasnt great (thanks to that market for him was low :twisted: ), but i see a lot of potential for him to be great again next year and he should help our RH heavy bullpen a lot.

Third guy is 24yo outfield prospect Ed Lewis signed to minor league deal, so not much excitement here, but he's free so why not !+)

Go Calzones :bang:
Simon Kuliszewski
Proud General Manager of San Antonio Calzones de Laredo
Since mid 2020 (268-293 .477)
Nigel
All-Star
All-Star

#503 Post by Nigel »

Borealis wrote:I'm actually struggling to figure out my Winter Ball plans as my #1 choice - and a likely #2, are not eligible due to not enough professional service time... :^

And as a friendly reminder, typically those lists are due at the conclusion of the Winter Meetings...
Due to this year's off season goings on the CP spending will be taken in a forum thread all next week while the file is prepared for the new era
Nigel Laverick

GM San Antonio Calzones de Laredo 2035 - . . .

Former Commish, PEBA & LRS GM

nigel3123@gmail.com
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#504 Post by Borealis »

Man... A lot of $$$ doled out for 1B's this past sim - four (3 over 30) for an average salary of over $18M - a lot of coin for a lot of HRs and a lot of Ks...

Meanwhile, we're happy with our lone FA signee, 'Javelin' who (as Ray D. Enze describes) gives us a stronger 'pen and more flexibility with our rotation.

Now... about Mike Provost... :-?
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#505 Post by Sandgnats »

I can't even imagine what kind of salary the Train ARollin' must be asking for to extend...
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Re: Neat stuff sim thread PEBA 2023 Season 17

#506 Post by Wind Dancers »

These 10 day sims suck, I don't even get a chance to counter offer free agents who favored my offer in the first place.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#507 Post by roncollins »

That's pretty routine in online leagues. It encourages you to make something close to a best offer...especially as you get later into the cycle. But, yes, it's a little annoying until you get used to the flow, and a little annoying even as you go along. :)
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#508 Post by Sandgnats »

I learned this the hard way on my first sim... Agreed Ron.
Last edited by Sandgnats on Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#509 Post by Cole »

Harpoon wrote:These 10 day sims suck, I don't even get a chance to counter offer free agents who favored my offer in the first place.
Yes, I concur. It's too bad when there's some big name free agents out there still.
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+

Return to “League News and Articles”