Massive Fraud

Matt
VIP
VIP

Massive Fraud

#1 Post by Matt »

The part in italics was posted on the OOTP forums just moments ago.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/o ... ost3666105

All fraud is eventually exposed.

The person who runs this league has perpetrated frauds in two separate leagues, to my knowledge. He has registered to be an owner/GM in these leagues using multiple aliases.

His fraud was brought to my attention when the commissioner of another league approached me with suspicions about his activities in another league. Which led me to do my own investigating.

In our league, this piece of human filth took ownership of 5 different teams using various aliases.

Here is our statslab IP report:

Charlie Cooper, Dylan Ortega, Jonas Pine, Donald Walters, Rick Watts

In the other league mentioned, he took over two teams that we know of. How many other leagues he has committed fraud in, we don't know. I would highly recommend any commissioner reading this to check their IP logs immediately.

In addition to this fraud, he has copied PEBA's constitution word for word and posted it as his own for this league.

How everyone else chooses to handle this piece of filth is their business. I want nothing more to do with him.

At the same time, I banned Charlie from our forums as well as his other aliases. Turns out, our fraudster was also the previously banned Shannon Franklin. It all makes sense now. A little too late to prevent the damage that was done, and for that I can only apologize.

The Board will be taking the time to review this situation. Frankly, because the greatest amount of damage was done to the LRS and I now have 5 openings there, it has brought the LRS future into serious question.
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Massive Fraud

#2 Post by roncollins »

Geez.

Thanks for your efforts, Matt. This one is going to hurt.

If it's helpful, I can try to scrounge up an emergency owner. Not sure if he'll go for it, or be in for the long haul, though.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions
VIP

#3 Post by Matt »

Cliff Hangers wrote:Geez.

Thanks for your efforts, Matt. This one is going to hurt.

If it's helpful, I can try to scrounge up an emergency owner. Not sure if he'll go for it, or be in for the long haul, though.

At this point we need five GM's. Kure, Hyakujuu, Seoul, Kawaguchi, the teams Charlie or whoever he is was 'running', as well as for the Ghosts. Plus Charleston in PEBA.

This is how I got us into this situation in the first place. I had so many opening last off-season that in some cases I took warm bodies that wouldn't normally meet my vetting requirements. I owe our GM's in the LRS better than this.

My honest opinion at the moment is that the LRS is, for all intents and purposes, dead. I need to review this whole situation with the Board, but before I do I am going to just take a break for a few hours and try to come back with a fresh perspective.
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Denny »

Holy... 8-o

Matt, if it is any help, I would be willing to run one of the leaderless LRS clubs until new GMs can be found....I'm sure I'm not alone.
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by roncollins »

I don't know that we're "Dead" but we do need a season or three of stable, and ideally at least semi-experienced, ownership. The biggest issue is, again, speed of acquiring these folks.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Borealis »

Codgers wrote:Holy... 8-o

Matt, if it is any help, I would be willing to run one of the leaderless LRS clubs until new GMs can be found....I'm sure I'm not alone.
Ditto here!! I'll have to bone up on the LRS a bit, but I'll help out in a pinch...

Now it makes sense, the crazy transfer bidding...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#7 Post by Apollos »

Oh boy, well -- needless to say it's good you caught it now, Matt. I for one would be happy to steer an LRS franchise for the time being while the search for new owners continues.

I just can't understand why one would do this, but I feel partially responsible because I wanted to say something previously and did not:

This thread made me wonder about the legitimacy of Charlie/Shannon and I should have raised it when it happened, but I didn't. I apologize for not doing so, Matt.
Brian Hazelwood - GM, Tempe Knights
Steel Dragons

#8 Post by Steel Dragons »

Wow... This is going to hurt but I am sure we can get through this.
Steel Dragons

#9 Post by Steel Dragons »

As hard as it has been over the past few years to get Gms here maybe it is time to expand the PEBA so we do not lose the core of the Gms who have been here the longest. It sucks that 1 man can do this much damage but the damage has been done and it has crippled at least 1 team financially. I have yet to look at the others.

Kure
Hyakujuu
Seoul
Kawaguchi
Ghosts.

That is almost half the LRS..
Maulers
All-Star
All-Star

#10 Post by Maulers »

Matt really has nothing to apologize for on this; we were all taken in (and not only us in this league) by this guy; I guess we'll call him "Charlie." I truly cannot fathom why someone would do this. The damage that he has done to the LRS is basically impossible to know at this point. How many personnel moves were/weren't made by these teams that altered the competitive balance of the league during the 2019 season?

I'm just glad that when Matt became aware of this, he worked with outstanding speed in order to investigate what was going on and to bring it with urgency to the Board. I also don't know how exactly to deal with this long-term, but the Board will be addressing this matter with haste. Thank you to those of you who have volunteered to run one of these disgraced LRS teams; we may well look to you for your help.
Jeff Dudas
Head Scout Extraordinaire
Manchester Maulers Baseball Club (2007-2023; 2029-present)
Steel Dragons

#11 Post by Steel Dragons »

I agree Jeff that Matt did an outstanding job to find this and remove this person.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Borealis »

Just from an interesting historical perspective, 2019 can be PEBA/LRS's 'Black Sox Scandal' of 1919... 100 years later... Story idea in there somewhere, to search for a silver lining...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by roncollins »

Correct. Matt is totally blameless here.

Perhaps we "expand the PEBA" by having them absorb the seven remaining LRS teams and just adding one. That would bring the PEBA to 32 teams, for divisions of 8. Us poor LRS teams would get ground up for a little while ... though Kevin might compete a little early. But I think getting ground up a bit for awhile may not be too bad. I admit I hate losing the Japanese-ness of the LRS. But I could see it working.

EDIT: If we did this, perhaps the LRS teams could stock up a bit more by doing a dispersal draft of players from the disbanded teams.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
All-Star

#14 Post by Zephyrs »

I am speechless. I typed 3 different comments and deleted all of them before hitting submit. :-#
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Mike Dunn
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Mike Dunn »

Oh my god.
Mike Dunn

Former GM, Niihama-Shi Ghosts (2011-2019)
Record (9 seasons): 662-634
Division Titles: 1
Playoff Appearances: 3
Neo Tokyo Cup Appearances: 1
LRS Championships: 0

Return to “League News and Articles”