How did PEBA come to be?

Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: How did PEBA come to be?

#106 Post by Duane »

Sandgnats wrote: Must've been a product of too many MB's one night.
Miester Brau???
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
James Bowman

#107 Post by James Bowman »

The old messageboard:

http://web.archive.org/web/200904082203 ... ball3.com/

The old logo of the West Virginia Coal Sox:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/knuckle ... 0.png.html

Was this New Jersey logo over used?

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/a ... hitmen.png

I'd also like to see a Reno Tenpinners logo. Maybe we could see a Reno vs. West Virginia jersey throwback charity game?
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#108 Post by Tyler »

Statesmen wrote:The old logo of the West Virginia Coal Sox:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/knuckle ... 0.png.html
That was our primary logo from 2007-2013, when the team named changed to "Alleghenies".
Statesmen wrote:Was this New Jersey logo over used?

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/a ... hitmen.png
Was it ever used! That was New Jersey's primary logo from 2007-2013. :wink:

Fun fact, New Jersey changed their logo, and West Virginia changed their name, at the same Winter Meetings.
Statesmen wrote:I'd also like to see a Reno Tenpinners logo. Maybe we could see a Reno vs. West Virginia jersey throwback charity game?
Ask and ye shall receive...

Reno's logo from 2007-2014 (when the nickname changed to "Zephyrs"). I always hated this logo.

For more Reno curiosities, take a look back at the aborted team re-name to the Reno Strikers, intended for the 2011 season. Here's the nickname announcement.
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#109 Post by Lions »

I know that there was a fair amount of artwork submitted for London's logo overhaul that touched not just on the Underground but also the minor leagues. I submitted some of them, and I was always curious about some of the other entries that were ultimately not chosen that we've never seen. Have there been any other rebranding projects that had similar alternate designs that were never revealed?

As for the Nutmeggers... I've always hated the logo and the team name, but rebranding has been lower on my priority list for now. It WILL happen someday if I remain in charge long enough. That said, the Providence Spooners and Cary Grants are names I hate even more.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#110 Post by Denny »

Nutmeggers wrote:As for the Nutmeggers... I've always hated the logo and the team name, but rebranding has been lower on my priority list for now. It WILL happen someday if I remain in charge long enough. That said, the Providence Spooners and Cary Grants are names I hate even more.
Aw, man....I love the Cary Grants!
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#111 Post by John »

Codgers wrote:Aw, man....I love the Cary Grants!
One of my favorite logos, thanks to its cultural reference.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#112 Post by Lions »

I'm familiar... it's just so incredibly punny. I'm actually a fan of a good pun, just not as a team name. Anyway, you guys have nothing to fear in the short term.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#113 Post by Cole »

Nice look down memory lane. I, as well, was evidently right here in this thread when I realized the old Brewers logo had the MB in it.
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#114 Post by Arroyos »

Nutmeggers wrote:I'm familiar... it's just so incredibly punny. I'm actually a fan of a good pun, just not as a team name. Anyway, you guys have nothing to fear in the short term.
John wrote:
Codgers wrote:Aw, man....I love the Cary Grants!
One of my favorite logos, thanks to its cultural reference.
I hate it when I miss a pun. Puns are one compelling reason to live! So help me out, guys. I'm more than familiar with the variety of cultural references stemming from Cary Grant's name, but where's the pun? Is there some secret word play on his real name, Leach, that I'm missing? This is driving me insane! (Just don't tell any of the nurses, okay?)

And by the way, I always assumed the Providence Spooners were named after Spooner Street, in downtown Providence. Is there some other allusion I'm missing?
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#115 Post by John »

Bulldozers wrote:I hate it when I miss a pun. Puns are one compelling reason to live! So help me out, guys. I'm more than familiar with the variety of cultural references stemming from Cary Grant's name, but where's the pun? Is there some secret word play on his real name, Leach, that I'm missing? This is driving me insane! (Just don't tell any of the nurses, okay?)
Aside from the obvious play on names with the city of Cary, NC and the actor Cary Grant, Grant stared in the film North by Northwest. The iconic scene where the biplane chases down Grant is referenced in the Grants' logo.

Bulldozers wrote:And by the way, I always assumed the Providence Spooners were named after Spooner Street, in downtown Providence. Is there some other allusion I'm missing?
One of my stupider cultural connections, I'm afraid. :oops: The TV show Family Guy was big at the time of the PEBA's formation, and though I'm no fan, I gave it a nod here. I'll quote from the Family Guy Wiki:
Quahog (pronounced "KO-hog") is a fictional city in Providence County, Rhode Island where the animated television comedy Family Guy is set. The Griffin family, the Brown family (moved), the Swanson family, and Glenn Quagmire live on Spooner Street, with the Griffin family residing at 31 Spooner Street.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Steel Dragons

#116 Post by Steel Dragons »

One of my stupider cultural connections, I'm afraid. :oops: The TV show Family Guy was big at the time of the PEBA's formation, and though I'm no fan, I gave it a nod here. I'll quote from the Family Guy Wiki:

Quote:
Quahog (pronounced "KO-hog") is a fictional city in Providence County, Rhode Island where the animated television comedy Family Guy is set. The Griffin family, the Brown family (moved), the Swanson family, and Glenn Quagmire live on Spooner Street, with the Griffin family residing at 31 Spooner Street.

Its still one of the best shows on tv :P

I have kinda taken from the show also ;-D

http://familyguy.wikia.com/wiki/Tricia_Takanawa

She sure does love Baseball
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#117 Post by Arroyos »

John wrote: Aside from the obvious play on names with the city of Cary, NC and the actor Cary Grant, Grant stared in the film North by Northwest. The iconic scene where the biplane chases down Grant is referenced in the Grants' logo.

Okay, thanks, John, I missed the visual pun because I hadn't seen the team logo. That's cool. And I can sleep at night knowing I didn't miss a verbal pun.

As for the allusion to Family Guy, at least they got the street right, though they sure don't know how Rhode Islanders pronounce Quahog (a type of clam, derived from an Indian name). In Rhody, we used to call those little clams KWO-hogs.
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Nigel
All-Star
All-Star

#118 Post by Nigel »

Nutmeggers wrote:I know that there was a fair amount of artwork submitted for London's logo overhaul that touched not just on the Underground but also the minor leagues. I submitted some of them, and I was always curious about some of the other entries that were ultimately not chosen that we've never seen. Have there been any other rebranding projects that had similar alternate designs that were never revealed?

As for the Nutmeggers... I've always hated the logo and the team name, but rebranding has been lower on my priority list for now. It WILL happen someday if I remain in charge long enough. That said, the Providence Spooners and Cary Grants are names I hate even more.
Some of the other London artwork

The Jerseys

Image Image Image

I just preferred the 'Arsenal' look of the ones I already had

The Logo

The revised centre piece was what I was looking for but the lions rampant didn't quite sit in
Last edited by Nigel on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nigel Laverick

GM San Antonio Calzones de Laredo 2035 - . . .

Former Commish, PEBA & LRS GM

nigel3123@gmail.com
Nigel
All-Star
All-Star

#119 Post by Nigel »

The Caps

Image Image Image Image Image

The ones that were chosen in the end were exactly as I imagined them

I'll post up some of the alternate minor league team artwork over the next few days.
Nigel Laverick

GM San Antonio Calzones de Laredo 2035 - . . .

Former Commish, PEBA & LRS GM

nigel3123@gmail.com
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#120 Post by Borealis »

Underground wrote:
The Logo

The revised centre piece was what I was looking for but the lions rampant didn't quite sit in
I Love that logo! reverse the colors in the banner and the lions would stand out more!

I'm glad you took the cap you're using...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions

Return to “League News and Articles”