How did PEBA come to be?

Cole
All-Star
All-Star

How did PEBA come to be?

#1 Post by Cole »

I am still slowly working my way through the forums and reading all of the excellent articles so I am not sure if I simply have not gotten to a history of the PEBA. So much detail and minimum standards of participation and contribution have gotten the league to where it is today. I would love to read about the evolution of PEBA, how it came to be, what was the impetus behind the creation of the LRS? What can we expect going forward, what is the longer term vision? I just really enjoy historical background as it helps me appreciate the present so much more.
Last edited by Cole on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: How did PEBA come to be?

#2 Post by Tyler »

Are you looking for an in-universe or "real world" explanation?
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Matt
VIP
VIP

#3 Post by Matt »

Since John is a busy man, I will fill in a few details to get you started.

The original idea came about by a poster on the Let's Go Tribe forum. I was not a member of that forum, but John was interested in the idea, and John happened to be in a fantasy league I was in and pitched the idea to myself and Chris (Tempe) to come join this new OOTP league.

Well, John was not the originator of the idea. The person who was quickly flaked out before anything got off the ground. John kept the idea alive however, and starting from scratch, with no OOTP experience, put this league together. I am willing to say, that even a person of vast experience could not have achieved what John did here. This league is second to none. He took the original idea, did his homework, and came up with a vision for what the league should be. That vision has evolved with time, but always in a direction that makes the league that much better.

A great many of the original owners came from those LGT forums. So naturally you will find quite a few Indians fans here. If the person is an Indians fan, there's a better than even chance that he's also an original member of PEBA.

The LRS came about because of the vast interest there was in the league, but an unwillingness to actually expand PEBA so early in it's existance. At least that's what I gathered at the time. It certainly gave the entire PEBA universe that much more depth, and you will find that the LRS owners are as engaged as the PEBA owners in every way.

Many of our owners have are from the original group of owners that started from the beginning. Almost the entire Dixie division is original owners or owners who came aboard during the first season to replace a failed owner. I believe 5 of the 6 Dixie owners were the owner of their team when the first PEBA pitch was thrown.

In the Pan_Atlantic, Manchester is an original owner. The other teams have changed hands at least a couple of times, but NJ has been here a while, as has Gloucester and Arlington.

In the Desert Hills division, Tempe, Bakersfield and Palm Springs are all original owners. Aurora is on it's second owner, and that is only because John stepped down and relinquished control of Aurora in order to concentrate fully on Commissioner duties. In the Great Lakes, I think only Crystal Lake is an original owner, but Fargo has been with us quite a long time, maybe since the second season, I think.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Tyler »

Calzones wrote:I believe 5 of the 6 Dixie owners were the owner of their team when the first PEBA pitch was thrown.
Actually, only three teams (NO, SA, and WV) in the Dixie have original owners at the helm. But the other three (KEN, FLA, CST) have had owners who have been with us so long they "feel" original. :D

I'm one of those LGT-recruited owners. At the time, I was filling the only empty spot in the league prior to the Inaugural Draft, though I believe at least two owners dropped out and were replaced between my recruitment and the actual draft occurring.

Prior to the start of human control of the LRS, we had such stable ownership that there was actually a somewhat deep waiting list to get a PEBA team. John was worried that owners would find another league if they were on a waiting list for months, so he initially opened up the LRS to human control as a sort of a "waiting room" for owners, where they could have fun running a team and then take over a PEBA team when a spot was available. During the process of turning the LRS "human," owners became so attached to their teams that the original concept was dropped and the LRS was simply turned from an AI league into a human league.
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Matt
VIP
VIP

#5 Post by Matt »

I do believe though that Kentucky and Charleston were here before the season started that first year, or very shortly there after at worst. Florida I think came in during the second season?

At the very least, we are the division with the most stable ownership.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Tyler »

Calzones wrote:I do believe though that Kentucky and Charleston were here before the season started that first year, or very shortly there after at worst. Florida I think came in during the second season?

The original Charleston owner was an LGT regular who is no longer in the league - I know he was running the team when I made the Hu trade.

You'd have to ask Duane, but I think he came in during the 2007 season. I remember someone else running Kentucky when games were being played, as I remember thinking "oh dear" when a new owner took over what was then a horrid team. That's certainly changed though. 8)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

James Bowman

#7 Post by James Bowman »

Calzones wrote:I do believe though that Kentucky and Charleston were here before the season started that first year, or very shortly there after at worst. Florida I think came in during the second season?

I'm not sure about Duane's tenure, but Kevin joined the PEBA right before I did, and I believe 2009 was our first season.

As far as I can tell, we both took over the teams from the original owners too, so yea, the Dixie has been very stable.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Tyler »

Statesmen wrote: I'm not sure about Duane's tenure...
I am, thanks to the magic of the "search feature" in the articles on the PEBA website!
Duane's Introductory Article wrote:5/18/2007: Lexington, KY - On a chilly Spring morning while most of us are thinking of our day's first cup-o-joe, in a damp, dimly lit basement up in Northern Illinois the Thoroughbreds’ new GM is running the track trying to save the franchise from bankruptcy.
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Matt
VIP
VIP

#9 Post by Matt »

I certainly remember how the original KY owner drafted. Duane came in and took over a team that had about 37 MR.
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Duane »

I joined like 2 weeks before the first First Year Player Draft ... joined and had to rush learn the game and the ratings and the draftees.

Team was already built - in the RED and a farm that was dismally full of MR
Calzones wrote:I certainly remember how the original KY owner drafted. Duane came in and took over a team that had about 37 MR.
And that is no lie ... 10 at each level (DOH!!!!)

and might I add ... not much else
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#11 Post by Cole »

Coal Sox wrote:Are you looking for an in-universe or "real world" explanation?
Good point! My intent was real world.
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by klewis »

Ok, I see the Dixie is dominating this thread so I better represent as well :P

I joined in the offseason leading up to the 2009 season. At that time there were two openings: Florida and Charleston. I chose Florida and Jon shortly thereafter as Charleston. I was the cruise ship mogul and he was the floating golf club mogul.

I believe I am the third owner of Florida. The previous owners left the team in a very good state. So I have to thank them for that.

I think overall, the IL has a pretty consistent ownership. The LRS has been pretty stable as well, I think. It seems KAL, YUM, DUL, and CAN have been revolving doors. But I think that will or has changed.
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Duane »

And of course IL RULES!!!!!!!! what else could be truer
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Hitmen »

I joined before the 2011 season began and with the migration to the OOTP 10 platform. This was also the time when me and Mike #2(Aurora) joined during the article submission contest to take over Aurora. As far as I know, I think there was only 1 or 2 owners that ran the team before me.

I am still in the process of turning around a horribly financial run team that was on the down turn since winning in the inaugural season. But it has been a blast, and I can honestly say I am happy I did not win the Aurora team because I plan to change all my minors and my major league team to my likings :twisted: ;-D :lol: :wink:

Barring anything extreme happening (knock on wood) I plan to be here till the end with the Hitmen.
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
Matt
VIP
VIP

#15 Post by Matt »

Well, Yuma, Canton, Omaha, and Duluth were all originally Dobney brothers teams. They stayed with us quite a while, they just weren't that active. I think at least three of those teams are only on their second owner, as Canton, Omaha, and Yuma have stabilized under the new ownership. Duluth has had a number of owners come in, throw up their hands, and leave over the past season. Which has been the story in K-Zoo almost since the beginning. That has been a true revolving door. I think every owner in K-zoo leaves after the first three game losing streak.

Return to “League News and Articles”