How did PEBA come to be?

John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How did PEBA come to be?

#31 Post by John »

Well now, this is an interesting thread to return home to! :geek: Let's dig in, shall we?
Calzones wrote:Since John is a busy man, I will fill in a few details to get you started.

The original idea came about by a poster on the Let's Go Tribe forum. I was not a member of that forum, but John was interested in the idea, and John happened to be in a fantasy league I was in and pitched the idea to myself and Chris (Tempe) to come join this new OOTP league.

<snip>
An excellent summary, Matt, and thank you for the kind words. For those who are interested, here is the original LGT recruitment thread for what became the Planetary Extreme Baseball Alliance. The man with the idea for the league was Chester Banaszak, who went by the nickname "CarnegieAndOntario" on LGT. Chester actually disappeared twice during the formation of the league. The first time was very shortly after the concept was pitched. After some scrambling to save the league, Chester suddenly reappeared, ready to take over operations. Sadly, he re-disappeared just as quickly.

For the record, I was to be the owner of the Evanston (IL) Invaders. I even had the whole Space Invaders logo picked out and everything. Somehow, I don't think we missed out too badly on that one.
Coal Sox wrote:The original Charleston owner was an LGT regular who is no longer in the league - I know he was running the team when I made the Hu trade.
That would be Andrew Spayde, who goes by the nickname "NickFantana" on LGT. Nice guy, as I recall.
Calzones wrote:I certainly remember how the original KY owner drafted. Duane came in and took over a team that had about 37 MR.
Depending on your perspective, you can't pin that on the original Kentucky owner (Josh Lehman, "bogey021" on LGT). I say that because he a.) never showed up for the draft, and b.) didn't bother to create a draft list. All those MR were OOTP's bright idea. Inexplicably, Mr. Lehman ended up being punished for OOTP's sins. :twisted:
Featherheads wrote:I believe I am the third owner of Florida. The previous owners left the team in a very good state. So I have to thank them for that.
Peter Matulis ("Pmatulis" on LGT) was Florida's original owner. A very nice guy who had the courtesy to keep managing his team until a replacement was found after he had decided to depart. He stayed with us through the inaugural season. Jason Parker was his replacement for 2008. Jason never left a strong impression with me. You took over after Jason's departure, Kevin.
Calzones wrote:I think your the third NJ owner. The first owner called the team the Gothic Knights, drafted a pretty good team, then tried to tell John how to run the show. Yeah, that was the wrong answer.

The second owner came in just before the playoffs of the first season and got to enjoy a championship from a team he did not build. Then he proceeded to run the team into the ground with bad contracts before throwing up his hands and walking away.
For the record, that first owner's name was Eddie Paxil. I'll never forget him departing with the self-assured warning that the PEBA would be a failure. Now the exact number of NJ owners depends on how technical you want to get. I tend to not count the "gone in a blink of an eye" guys, but if we're counting them, then Michael is actually owner #6 of the franchise. Here's the entire list:
  • The aforementioned Eddie Paxil - I hope his punk rock career panned out.
  • Nicholas Pickard - Official tenure with the PEBA: 10 days. No, that's not a record. :P
  • Jim Garrity - This is who you were referring to, Matt, when you were talking about the second owner who reaped the benefits of Eddie's good drafting (Eddie did do a fine job of drafting). Jim was a very nice, well-spoken fellow. I was sorry that family business in Ireland forced him to step down from the team.
  • Andrew Swift - You probably know as much about Mr. Swift as I do. I'll say this for him; he's very aptly named, as he swiftly departed our league after joining.
  • Matt Fuller - Matt was an outstanding person who did a wonderful job working with the team.
  • Michael Czosnyka - I'm not blowing smoke when I say Michael is one of the most amicable, upbeat and involved owners I've had the pleasure of working with. ;-D
Badgers wrote:By the way, was the Lets Go Tribe forum about the Cleveland Indians?
Calzones wrote:The Let's Go Tribe forum (LGT for short) is a Cleveland Indians forum. I've never been there, but from what I can tell it's full of highly delusional people who have non-stop hallucinations that the Indians are a real team that might actually win a championship someday. Like THAT could ever happen in Cleveland.
Nailed it! !+) Actually Bob, if you're interested, check the place out. LGT is certainly populated by some bright baseball minds.
Badgers wrote:So the LRS is a completely independent league from PEBA? Can an LRS owner transfer to PEBA if there were an opening or is that not the real intention? I am not really sure of what rule differences there are (in real life) between the Japanese major Leagues and US MLB, but in our universe, does the PEBA and LRS play the "same" type of simmed baseball or are there rule differences.
Fictionally, the LRS is under the financial umbrella of the PEBA, which purchased the league after its 2009 season. In the real world, yes, the LRS is a 100% autonomous league. LRS owners have been very stable and are extremely passionate about their brand of baseball, and it's a very different brand of baseball, to be sure. There are a number of rules and styles of play unique to the LRS. I love the quirks of the league. If I were ever to return to being an owner (and I won't), I would return as a LRS owner.
Badgers wrote:So did the PEBA face expansion at some point or did it always have the same number of teams?
The PEBA has always been comprised of 24 teams. I don't see that changing soon, if ever.
Featherheads wrote:I think the KAL team is the only team to have an owner join once... leave... join... only to leave again.
Correct. That would be Bobby Furhman. Bobby wanted to get into the league, but his attention was divided between us and another league he had participated in for a long time. When he ascended to running that league, he no longer had time for the PEBA.
Thoroughbreds wrote:I am still surprised that PEBA made it out of the first season intack. I took over this dismal team and discovered that I was in the red for having 2 5 million dollar players. I could not get fans, I could not raise prices, I had to literally give players away (prospects along with a salaried player for a late round pick). I was stuck in a small market and boy did I give John a hard time about it. And I was only 1 person - he was getting an ear full from so many directions.

CHEERS to John for sticking through and shouldering the pain and agaony.

I know Bill is drinking to that as we speak :grin:
The league wouldn't be the same without you, Duane. That goes for Bill, too. :mrgreen:
Thoroughbreds wrote:All of the Dobneys are gone?

I have them as friends on Facebook
Yup, gone as of the start of the 2011 season. I still have the as friends on Facebook, too. Very nice fellows. I hope Jared is feeling better.
Bureaucrats wrote:I think I'm either the second or third owner of Arlington. I know they were originally called the "Arlington All-Blacks", but changed their name to "Bureaucrats' after the initial draft and before the first season started.
You are the technically the third owner of the Bureaucrats, Dan. Greg Hurst ("dctribefan" on LGT) kicked things off for the then-All-Blacks, and though he was with us only very briefly, he did a fine job with the inaugural draft. His replacement was John Whitacre. John was a nice guy who worked very hard on the team, but as you say, Dan, he wasn't up to the challenge when things turned south for the franchise. Now you've gotten things moving in the right direction. See, it only takes a little sticktoitiveness! :grin:
Calzones wrote:PEBA has always been at 24 teams, in their present locations. A few teams were in a different location prior to the first season, but if those owners were replaced prior to that season starting they were allowed to move. I think one or two teams early on moved, but all teams have been in their present location since the first pitch was thrown.
Correct on all counts. No team has changed locations since the first PEBA regular season began in 2007.
Badgers wrote:I am finding that the writing portions of league involvement are actually very stimulating and fun.
I'm glad to hear that, Bob! It's fascinating to watch people join the league with the caveat, "I've never been much of a writer," and then watch them discover the joy of creativity and blossom through their participation. I experienced the same phenomenon, and it's been a life-changing experience for me in many ways. For instance, the creative energy in the PEBA and my increased confidence in my ability to express myself in an interesting, creative manner has prompted me to begin a private-time project that I fully intend to pursue to completion. Maybe nothing comes of it, but I just happy to be going through the process. I could be sitting on a couch watching TV every night. Instead, I'm creating something. That's what this league is all about, and if members are inspired to start creating outside the bounds of the PEBA, more power to them.
Badgers wrote:The "Marketing" of this league (in the OOTP forums) is like none other and the vetting process that John put me through was very intimidating. It was a huge challenge to to be accepted into the league.
Marketing is one of the more interesting skills I've had to learn and develop thanks to my involvement with the PEBA. I remember posting a question a long time ago on the OOTP forums to online league commissioners about what criteria they used to vet applicants. I'm not familiar with the commissioners who responded or their leagues, but I sure do remember what they had to say. Each and every one of them was horrified at the idea that I would want to vet applicants at all. "You will never get anyone to join your league!" I can understand where they were coming from; it's not like we have a very big pool to draw from, after all. Still, I've discovered that there are two ways to go with recruitment:
  • Beg for applicants. Advantage: Vacancies quickly fill; you don't have to go through the tedium of the interview process. Disadvantage: You're at the mercy of fate as to whether your new members are worth anything; Leagues that don't show respect from themselves tend not to be respected.
  • Vet your applicants. Disadvantage: Be prepared to suffer through extended vacancies as you search; what was that I said about the tedium of the interview process? :-P Advantage: Look in the mirror... all of you are the advantage. ;-D
By the way, marketing is another area where my experience with the PEBA has changed my life. I have become involved with marketing for a number of different groups, particularly local farmers and food producers, as well as some political campaigns.
Nutmeggers wrote:John's a "benevolent dictator" commish. He listens, takes suggestions, looks out for the best interests of each member, and when he decides, his decision stands.
That's as accurate a description as you could make. While I look for as many opportunities as possible to poll group opinion, I've learned over time that the best results come from having a clear vision, sticking to a plan and avoiding wishy-washiness. That philosophy doesn't exempt me from listening to opinions, and politely expressed thoughts (especially when delivered in a one-on-one private setting) can and will influence me. We recently saw that with my well-intentioned yet ill-conceived attempt to introduce overly complicated rules protecting players from below-market salaries. Have a vision of where you want to go, yes, but listen up when your owners speak to you.
Calzones wrote:Something the new owners should know, and will come to realize in time, is that John will listen to what you have to say. Sounding off publicly won't exactly help your cause, nor will making demands or ultimatums, but John will let you make your case to him privately. Not every decision is going to come down your way, so be flexible and go with the flow. In the end you will find that John is flexible, as long as your willing to be flexible. Simply state your case or your complaint, and let John hear it. Then listen to what John has to say about it. I think over time you will realize that whatever decisions are made are done so with the best interest of the league at heart. Sometimes a certain problem can't be rectified right away, but you'll later learn that John was working on a solution in the background.
All I can say is, "Bless you, Matt." The day I stop listening/caring is the day it's time for me to step aside and let someone else take over. May that day never come.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#32 Post by Denny »

Yay! I love these sorts of memory lane-type threads, where we old-timers can wax nostalgic about the good old days of the Bethesda Bombers and San Luis Obispo Greys, or sending individual scouts out across the globe to find that next big thing. If you are interested in that sort of thing, there is another thread here, in which I and others ramble on in tiresome fashion about the way things were during PEBA's formative years.
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#33 Post by DanD »

Some additional nostalgia:
Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV
Dan DiVincenzo
GM of Okinawa Shisa
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#34 Post by Borealis »

Featherheads wrote:@ Duane - Yes, all the Dobneys have moved on.

@ Badger Bob - Here is a piece of Badger history for you: George Crocker - arguably the best center fielder at the time.
And since become a radio sensation in Aurora

Calzones wrote:PEBA has always been at 24 teams, in their present locations. A few teams were in a different location prior to the first season, but if those owners were replaced prior to that season starting they were allowed to move. I think one or two teams early on moved, but all teams have been in their present location since the first pitch was thrown.
Aurora began in Evanston, or at least the storyline John created had it that way; not sure what was 'reality' and what was 'fiction'.
PEBA Commissioner wrote: For the record, I was to be the owner of the Evanston (IL) Invaders. I even had the whole Space Invaders logo picked out and everything. Somehow, I don't think we missed out too badly on that one.
That answers that! And I'm thankful to have the Borealis than the Invaders. I hear that and all I think of is the defunct Oakland Invaders of the USFL.
Nutmeggers wrote: I know that I resisted the urge to join PEBA for a relatively long time simply because I wanted to be sure that I could commit to the league and uphold that standard.
I was worried about this as well... believe it or not. I guess my fears have been unfounded, as getting involved really was so easy with everyone else so invested in the community.

As Mike #1 (Jersey Mike) said, we joined at the same time and it's been a blast. We may have ended up with polar opposite teams, but the challenges are still there non the less. The friendly rivalries that have developed have been great, and the ability for guys to speak their minds and not get flamed is refreshing. And the effort John puts into this leads me to only one conclusion: Cloning.
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#35 Post by Cole »

Hitmen wrote:
Badgers wrote:
Hitmen wrote:I joined before the 2011 season began and with the migration to the OOTP 10 platform. This was also the time when me and Mike #2(Aurora) joined during the article submission contest to take over Aurora. As far as I know, I think there was only 1 or 2 owners that ran the team before me.

I am still in the process of turning around a horribly financial run team that was on the down turn since winning in the inaugural season. But it has been a blast, and I can honestly say I am happy I did not win the Aurora team because I plan to change all my minors and my major league team to my likings :twisted: ;-D :lol: :wink:

Barring anything extreme happening (knock on wood) I plan to be here till the end with the Hitmen.
Michael -- Are you from/still New Jersey? I am originally from NJ, Bergen County.
Unfortunately I have never actually been to New Jersey. Was born in Chicago and lived 20+ years there before moving to Wisconsin for the last 5 years to get my BA and finish up my MBA. I have fallen in love with my team though and I don't see myself relocating it, the minor league teams are another story ;)
I am not sure why I assumed you may have been form NJ. Same logic would mean that all owners in PEBA actually reside where their teams are located. I am now completely embarrassed :oops:
Featherheads wrote:@ Duane - Yes, all the Dobneys have moved on.

@ Badger Bob - Here is a piece of Badger history for you: George Crocker - arguably the best center fielder at the time.
Thanks for sharing even though it is an unfortunate article. He would have had a bright future.
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Matt
VIP
VIP

#36 Post by Matt »

Chris from Tempe as well as myself are both from New Jersey originally, Lakehurst, Ocean County to be exact. And I think Alan Ehlers of the Steel Dragons still resides in Ocean County. Beyond that, not sure if we have anyone else from NJ.

Chris lives in Ohio now. I live on the road most of the time, but home time is split between Laredo, Tx and Reno, NV.
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#37 Post by Coqui »

I'm not sure how many people managed Canton before me, but I just started this last season, 2012, right after the amateur draft. I'm in the same boat as you Badger Bob, I have no real experience with OOTP so I am learning as I go. If Canton has been a revolving door, I hope I can change that and stick around for awhile.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#38 Post by Reg »

At one time the PEBA was comprised of league presidents...I think Eddie was one before his departure, but for the longest stint myself and Brad Dobney of Canton served in the role, it was always something that was fun, but I know I had to step down due to life changes...that almost saw me leaving the PEBA, and the positions really weren't used for very long after that....if my memory serves me correctly....

I was an original member, I came on about 3 weeks before the inaugural draft and moved my team to New Orleans, it was my first experience at an online OOTP league, and I was and will never be an Indians fan... ;-D
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#39 Post by John »

Longshoremen wrote:I'm not sure how many people managed Canton before me, but I just started this last season, 2012, right after the amateur draft. I'm in the same boat as you Badger Bob, I have no real experience with OOTP so I am learning as I go. If Canton has been a revolving door, I hope I can change that and stick around for awhile.
After Brad Dobney's departure at the start of the 2010 season, the team was taken over by Jeff Pasquale, who had previously owned the Seoul Crushers. I was incorrect when I earlier said that only one owners had joined us and left us twice; Jeff falls into the category, too. Jeff's reign with Canton lasted only a couple of months, but it was positively an eternity compared to what came next. I refuse to count the guy named "JJ" who technically was slated to take over the team after Jeff but never did, so we'll count the third owner of the Longshoremen as Pat Fogel. Pat lasted, oh, about a week. He was followed by Michael Schroeder, who lasted, oh, a couple of weeks. That's when you took over, Shawn. You're owner #4 for the Longshoremen.
Trendsetters wrote:At one time the PEBA was comprised of league presidents...I think Eddie was one before his departure, but for the longest stint myself and Brad Dobney of Canton served in the role, it was always something that was fun, but I know I had to step down due to life changes...that almost saw me leaving the PEBA, and the positions really weren't used for very long after that....if my memory serves me correctly....
That's right. The idea was good in theory, but in practice, it wasn't fair of me to offload work onto others. I think it's nicer for owners to just enjoy being owners.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Cole
All-Star
All-Star

#40 Post by Cole »

Longshoremen wrote: I'm in the same boat as you Badger Bob, I have no real experience with OOTP so I am learning as I go. If Canton has been a revolving door, I hope I can change that and stick around for awhile.
Hey Shawn -- I hope the best for you as I think I know how you feel for the reason you just stated, being new to OOTP. I am looking forward to learn as we go. Lets both work at turning our organizations around :D

Wow! This really turned into a very informative thread. I like to thank everyone for sharing all of your recollections. There really is a lot of history here.
Cole
Kalamazoo Badgers GM
2016 - Present.
Post 838+
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#41 Post by Tyler »

Trendsetters wrote:At one time the PEBA was comprised of league presidents...I think Eddie was one before his departure, but for the longest stint myself and Brad Dobney of Canton served in the role, it was always something that was fun, but I know I had to step down due to life changes...that almost saw me leaving the PEBA, and the positions really weren't used for very long after that....if my memory serves me correctly....
I took over as the third IL president after Paul when he had to step down. I also can proudly hold the title of "last IL president," as John disbanded the positions shortly thereafter. ;-D It was actually a lot of fun serving as a league president; the position simply became superfluous. I also think John stepping down as a team owner happened shortly thereafter if memory serves, so he had more time himself to essentially absorb the "work" we'd been doing.
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#42 Post by Arroyos »

Badgers wrote: Same logic would mean that all owners in PEBA actually reside where their teams are located. I am now completely embarrassed :oops:
No reason to be embarrassed, Bob. I wondered the same thing when I joined last year. In fact, I was convinced everyone had some tie to their team's hometown, so I figured I'd better get one. I inquired about buying some land in Yuma, it was dirt cheap. Could have had a lot for the price of bulldozing the mesquite and cactus. But that got me thinking: why do I want to own an empty lot? And who really wants to live out here in the middle of the desert? Wouldn't everyone in Yuma be happier, and cooler, if they lived in San Diego, for example?

So I bought up Yuma, lock-stock-and-bulldozers, and moved the whole kit-and-kaboodle into my condo in Oceanside, just north of San Diego. We were a bit crowded there for the first year, what with my partner and the cat, so I expanded. I have an apartment in Ventura County, a couple hours north of Oceanside, where I stay when I'm pretending to teach my classes. I moved most of Yuma up here with me. Works out well. On weekends I travel by train down to the condo in Oceanside and visit the Yuman beings who stayed there, and during the week my apartment is always noisy from the Yumans who moved north with me.
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#43 Post by Tyler »

Bulldozers wrote:Yuman beings
:lol:
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
Matt
VIP
VIP

#44 Post by Matt »

Coal Sox wrote:

Somehow, I could see a AAA affiliiation in Roswell in Yuma's future.
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#45 Post by Arroyos »

Calzones wrote:
Coal Sox wrote:

Somehow, I could see a AAA affiliiation in Roswell in Yuma's future.
We do have a recruiting office there. Open only after midnight. I keep telling the scout to send me a report, but his email always seem to vanish into the ether.
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010

Return to “League News and Articles”