Santo

Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Santo

#1 Post by Leones »

Thanks 'Santo'!

It became a thing on a January morning, by the gentle waves of the sea. It was found on page three of the local paper. It was horrifying at first glance.

A full page photo of children. Some wore bandages and others were on crutches. Most had abrasions. They were all covered in mud. After the initial shock wore off the brain registered the smiles. They were all grinning like little idiots. These kids were having the time of their life.

The crutches and bandages were no longer needed. This was the moment of their liberation. Free to just play and be kids again.

They were no longer patients at the Havana Children's Cancer Center.

Of course there was a multitude of people to thank. But today the kids wanted to be sure to thank one person in particular. They wanted to thank Ira Murdoch not only for his monetary contributions but mostly for just being there when they needed a smiling face.

"I don't do it for the headlines; I do it for the patients and their families that are suffering through surgeries and treatment and recovery. Hopefully, one day, we can all find a cure. I'm happy to contribute to that goal, knowing that my money will be used for the greater good.", the Kentucky first baseman said after he'd announced he was going to donate 10% of his 2027 salary to the American Cancer Society.

After he arrived in Havana he kept the donations going, but now to the Havana Children's Cancer Center. Nobody had ever done anything like that before in the City of Columns. It was't long after that people on the street started calling him "Santo" (Saint). Now cheers of "SANTOOO" regularly greet Ira when he steps up to the plate at Campos Peloteros.

Thanks 'Santo'!
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Return to “League News and Articles”