Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

Shots fired: Scottish don't take York hiring lightly

#1 Post by Vic »

By Hamish Campbell
The Edinburgh News
2028-12-31

Aberdeen, Scotland – A day after learning that Chris York, their new high-profile minor league pitching coach, has voided his contract, Scottish Claymores management denounced the move and asked for a tampering investigation.

York, the legendary pitcher who spent many of his best years with Florida, told the Aberdeen Golden Sands management that he is resigning to take a position in the Featherheads minor league system. He joined Aberdeen - the Claymores' AAA affiliate - on Nov. 21, just about a month after he announced his retirement as a player.

Today, news surfaced in Florida that York is expected to join the Featherheads AA affiliate, the Beaufort Loggerdoggers, as its new pitching coach as early as Friday.

Contacted by phone Wednesday afternoon, York said he had nothing but respect for the Claymores organization and the Aberdeen Golden Sands, but they didn't feel like home.
York in playing days

“Sometimes, personal considerations come first – the Featherheads organization is where I spent my best years, and it’s home to me,” York said. “I want to go home. It’s that simple.”

Claymores General Manager Vic Caleca, who appeared more than a little unhinged in Florida media accounts of the dustup, was more subdued Thursday.

But no less determined.

“I sympathize with Chris, I really do,” Caleca said by phone from his offices in Central Indiana. “But he signed a contract – a document that any baseball player is familiar with. So there’s that.

“Even more questionable, though, is the behavior of the Featherheads management team. They knew we had hired Chris, they knew he had signed a multi-year contract, and they chose to ignore all that and pursue him anyway.

“Well, actions have consequences. We are in the process of contacting the league and asking for the Featherheads to be sanctioned – maybe a fine, or maybe they can’t wear those ridiculous headdresses during their 7th inning stretches anymore. A meaningful sanction of some kind.”
Caleca wants sanctions

Caleca added that if the Planetary Extreme Baseball Alliance offices give no satisfaction, he’ll file a complaint with the International Court of Justice at The Hague in the Netherlands.

Reg LeBlanc, PEBA’s newly-appointed Supervisor of International Play, was taken aback when told of Caleca’s statements.

“He said what now? He wants us to confiscate headdresses or he’ll go to The Hague? Um, well, I don’t know about all that," LeBlanc said. "First of all, I’m not even sure that tampering with a minor league pitching coach is even an offense on the PEBA’s books. And if it is, it probably shouldn’t be.

“Second of all, I’m guessing The Hague has more pressing matters on its docket than who’s coaching the Loggerdoggers’ starting rotation. If Caleca calls me, I’m gonna tell him to take a stiff drink of Yuma water, lie down and keep his feet elevated until the blood flows back to his brain. Good grief.”

Even as that drama was playing out in the media, cooler baseball minds were at work in the Claymores’ team offices: an offer has already been tendered to a new pitching coach for AAA Aberdeen, the News has learned.

The Claymores, sources said, have reached out to Dave Abrams, a 41-year-old Texan who specializes in working with groundball pitchers, a point of emphasis for the organization.

“Good as we think Chris would have been, we think Abrams will be just as valuable for our young staff,” the source said.

Still, Caleca could not let things go quietly.

“I’ll tell you this – the Featherheads better watch their backs going forward,” he said. “This, my friends, is war.”
Last edited by Vic on Thu May 30, 2019 4:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Shots fired: Scottish don't take York hiring lightly

#2 Post by Borealis »

HA! I'm just visualizing where this will go!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
DrewV
Triple-A
Triple-A

Re: Shots fired: Scottish don't take York hiring lightly

#3 Post by DrewV »

Loving both the drama and the Caleca pic :clap: :clap: :clap:
Drew Visscher (GM Ricky McCoy) | Duluth Warriors

Return to “League News and Articles”